Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

deshone

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:23 pm   Reply with quote         

25 votes is way to much ... back in the old days i had trouble giving out 15 ...
My opinion is that people need to earn the vote by good chopping ... like said before this is a photoshop contest so bring some skills or start developing them ... i had to work hard to get votes and now all newbies get votes for bad chops ...

It's true that people don't try harder when they are allready are getting 20-30 votes ...

Another thing i have trouble with is the fact that VPP means nothing anymore ... all new people start out with a VPP of 20 ... that's just wrong ... VPP meant something before ...

It's wrong that not one of the great choppers will be holding down the highest VPP in the record holders table ... i think those record holders stats represent the site and the standard ... so i suggest we delete the highest VPP of the record holders table or come up with a new system all together ... ( ask billtvshow ... he had some great ideas so oldtimers and newbies would have the same result ... it's not about the amount of votes but about the % of votes in a contest )

Zetape

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I Agree

Zetape

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

well someone listen to billtvshow, he has the answer since forever about that

deshone

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah ... i hope JMH reads all this ... we need something else !!

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:44 pm   Reply with quote         

a one-vote limit wouldn't harm anyone

Meeshoo Klan

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:00 pm   Reply with quote         

That`s all folks! 4 me dis day make`s me feel sick. all coments (from Doruletz entry) is based on 2 many vains. When I become a member I want 2 test my skills! that`s all what I wont! Any vote represint 2 me a apreciation! Until today!Sad
Too many votes? ok! make da sistem vote with 1, 2, ....... 25 votes. But U kill da newest. Choose da vote: 4 da idea or 4 execution! or 4 both! Anyway, I vote what I like! And Dorulets not brokes any rules of dis site! Da rules 4 me is: U pay, U post what U work! Vote 4 0r no vote! I`m not a site sponsor! whem I see da featured pic I try 2 imagine what can I do with da pic, 2 be more good..
Today I see something else.Sad Yuck

{b} I`m out from PSC! I let da real photo-chopers 2 take da 1s placet, da 2nd place, da 3rd etc.
Bye all, be good with ur photoshop contest neighbours, let away da vains, B all creative unleashed! Good luck in all what U wants!
[/b]

with all my consideration,
Meeshoo Klan (a.k.a. Mihai) [/b]

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Meeshoo,

Giving up is no way to represent the fine folks of Gura Humorului.

And besides, what can you do with the town's computer that's more fun than this?

efunk

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Shouldn't take what's going on here so personal. Just some constructive criticism and some brainstorming to help provide a better PSC for everyone. If it wasn't for the negative comments I've received throughout the years of my work I would still be drawing stick figures in MS paint with my thumb up my ass.

Meeshoo, ya have some talent you should stick around.

Efunk, over and out...

metalic

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:26 pm   Reply with quote         

....!!!

Zingaro

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:59 pm   Reply with quote         

i'm really glad right now to be at the level i am,and this happen just because as Supa
said i get a lot of 0 votes too.it sound strange, but more than a year ago when i got some "Wtf?" as comments i started my private battle to reach the skills that i wonder so bad.I mean i wear a smile for three days when Occecid send me an e-mail about my post (7votes) and how to make it better.right now (call me exagerate) but really seems that everyone licks each other's a*s.Less votes and critics from the "gurus here" just can makes all of us better.

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:03 pm   Reply with quote         

*edited once for spelling only*
This is a good topic, and one I've been thinking about lately. I am someone who votes and votes often. I'm also an "old timer" now I guess.

I think that Supa makes a very good point. The quality of images around here has deteriorated. Not every day, but sometimes I scratch my head and wonder what happened.

I have voted for images that may not have been the greatest, but I voted for them because I felt they were a good concept, funny or a step up for a particular author. I admit to voting for Little Nutt, because I know she's only 7, too!

By the same token, and I said this in another thread, some of us oldtimers don't get votes because the bar has been raised for us. In the other thread, someone claimed all the old timers were voting for each other and that made me laugh like hell. Most of the old timers rarely vote, they just said so here. Chrispis, Metalic and Bluefist, etc.,rarely vote for me, when I get a vote from them, I know I've done a good chop.

I have noticed lately though that there seems to be a pattern amongst a group of newbies who are all running around voting for each other and leaving the WINNER! and EXCELLENT comments on each other's pictures, while all along they are ignoring the images that are clearly better chops. I have seen quite a few pictures do extremely well over the last few weeks in the vote category and I have shaken my head in confusion because I didn't "get" why they were even in the top 5 or 6, or even 1st!

Before the 25 vote thing was implemented, I would only post an image if I felt it could have a shot to be in the top 5 of the contest, because my goal was to maintain/improve my VPP of 16+ I was damn proud of that VPP, I worked hard to get it up there. I don't have an alias, my acount reflects all my work from the day I joined PSC.

I agree with Deshone on the VPP. While mine has climbed 2 points since the increased voting, it doesn't mean anything to me anymore. All the newbies have VPP's of 25. Look at the all time record holders and look at the top bracket. See those VPP's? That's from the old days....even before I got here. The people in that top bracket can chop the pants off the people running around with VPP's of 25+ who are posting crap and getting votes.

What's the solution? I don't know. I believe 25 votes is too many, although at first I really liked being able to vote for more than usual. It certainly screwed up the statistics around here though.

Anonymous posting isn't the answer.

Also I agree about the vote streak contest/lists. I think that could go.

*steps down from soapbox*
Next?

patim

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I never use more than 10 votes atmost. Just cause I will not vote for crap. I go even further. From the established choppers, I expect more. They will not get a vote if they did something with their thumb upp their ass (believe me it shows).

I agree it has to do with the total of votes, but that just counts for a small part. BTVS is right that people try to get as many VPP as possible to get into the stats. I sure am feeling the same. Not about the stats that is, but I like to get as many votes as possible. I hate it when I get fewer votes than some posts that I consider as crap.

And just to reflect I sometimes look back at my portofolio. I really suck(ed). I can see how I have evolved from the beginning and I still have lots to explore. But that has nothing to do with the VPP. The only thing that counts for me nowadays is WHO votes for me. People I think are good choppers, are more than welcome to vote and I will be happy.

Better is, and that is what I mis here, that when people that don't like it or see some inconsistency in my work, attent me on that. PM me with actual constructive criticism. Or tell me what I can do to make it better.

Look at my entry today. I think it's original and quit well chopped (especially the smoke). BUT NOBODY SEES IT IS A DOG. So don't vote, PM me and ask me what the hell I was on when I made that pic. Give advice on how to make it better. Give me food for thoughts, so I will think twice before I post it this way again in the future. Help eachother evolve this way.

That's what this site is about. Helping eachother developing the right skills for the level you want to be on. Try less votes and more comments. I know that you can be burned down here when you make a comment, but see it as their problem. If they want to learn, they must learn to cope with negative comments. I thrive for some negative comments, It stimulates, especially if the commentor gives advice on how to do it better.

Till then.... lets chop

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I totally agree nancers, and stop pointing at me!

I think the thing we need to do here is stress fair voting. I have been guilty of voting for entries that did not deserve a vote, simply because I had votes left. I was in the "You must use all your votes" frame of mind, but am not there now.

Thanks again Supak.

Frank

by pacoperez
EJH

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I think this is a good argument for the creation of different skill categories... let's face it, people tend to vote based on their own skill level-- I wouldn't vote for a post of a quality that I wouldn't submit myself. Having such an anyone-can-participate format can be great as far as building a community, but as far as competition goes it can be damn frustrating-- both for higher level people who see "lesser" posts get more votes, or for those just starting out who feel they can't compete with some of the more advanced members.

CrabbyPatty

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Good post nancers.
IMHO when you vote, you should be able to RATE the post in 2 different ways. First the Idea, and second the execution. That's pretty much what the problem is, chops with good ideas, executed VERY badly and ending up in the top 5. This way, you can rate the idea a 9 (for example).. and rate the execution a 3 (out of 10). That way, it won't necessarily bring it up in the top 10, but the poster will know what area to improve at least.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic