Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Tesore

Post Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:

Please tell me you're not suggesting a ratings system...

We just got rid of one a few months ago.

Tesore

Post Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
We just got rid of one a few months ago.

Where did you hide it? Shocked

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 pm   Reply with quote         

We removed the guest rating system since it was being abused, and served absolutely no purpose.

rett435

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:04 pm   Reply with quote         

how about one vote for each day that the contest is open. You could vote for the best entry on the first day and the next day you'd get another vote...and so on. This would give the "underprivileged" and late entries a chance to at least have their work seen.

ReyRey

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 pm   Reply with quote         

rett435 wrote:
how about one vote for each day that the contest is open. You could vote for the best entry on the first day and the next day you'd get another vote...and so on. This would give the "underprivileged" and late entries a chance to at least have their work seen.

Shocked Hey.... That's not bad. Shocked
Even a couple of votes per day.

TheShaman

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

no rating system! that was the worst. Rolling Eyes

Look, IMHO having too many votes to distribute isn't the problem here

no matter what PSC does (25 votes or 1 vote per day, anon vs. general contests)
one side ALWAYS aint gonna be happy.
then... when ya brings prizes into the mix... super happy fun time, let me show you how to do this or that just became... back alley cut-throat.

this place used to have some really great talent, they would help anyone with anything. now...
not so much.

theres ya problem. Stead of bitchin bout the quality of work, start helping the noobs get better.

blue_lurker

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
no rating system! that was the worst. Rolling Eyes

Look, IMHO having too many votes to distribute isn't the problem here

no matter what PSC does (25 votes or 1 vote per day, anon vs. general contests)
one side ALWAYS aint gonna be happy.
then... when ya brings prizes into the mix... super happy fun time, let me show you how to do this or that just became... back alley cut-throat.

this place used to have some really great talent, they would help anyone with anything. now...
not so much.

theres ya problem. Stead of bitchin bout the quality of work, start helping the noobs get better.

Have to agree here, we have lost the learning side of PSC, to many egos to stroke and lots of votes to do it.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 pm   Reply with quote         

i try to help via pm...mostly.

It's effective 75% of the time. Wink

and, may I remind ppl that you don't have to chop every single source. Wait for one that screams, "CHOP ME!" Then find a good idea and do the best you can with it. If you find you can't pull something off and can't find a tut for it, pm someone you respect and who might be able to help you. I guarantee you, most will!

Very Happy

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Nevermind.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 pm   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
arcaico wrote:
I'm with you supa... besides, it really puts us down to have a hard time working on a pic, and see crappy posts getting more votes than you just because their friends vote for it, no matter it's good or bad... people can't say we do the same... you know better than nobody that I don't vote for you (supa) unless I like yer post... and yes, I do vote for crappy posts... when I see there was an effort on it... an idea, that maybe needs an improving of technique... and I leave some constructive comments... or when it's a funny post...

anyway... something changed since I was gone... and i'm really willing to find out what...

No more WTFs from you anymore, please. That was just mean and rude, certainly not constructive. I get the idea that you are upset that your superior entries must share space with those of lesser quality. Maybe with a change in attitude you'd make some friends. No more bullying, please.

You being a teacher, I find your comment strange I thought teachers should have a little more tolerance for peoples opinions (Im not having a go here just making an observation ok). Arco did not single anyone out in his response and did not name any contest either, all he did was voice his opinion and I guess some history should be considered. At the time of this thread 2005 Arco0 had been away for a considerable amount of time, before he left PSC was a place not only for contests but a great place to learn and comments were not taken as insults but more of a lesson in improvement. If you read the threads first comment from supa
supak0ma wrote:
I'll start by saying this site has given me very much, i've learned almost all i know about photoshop by competing here. That is the word: competition. I feel there's a lack of it in the last months. Competitivity is the drive to always do better. In the period between the change of the site and today something happened, something that contributed to lower the general quality of the photoshop works: we got 25 votes instead of 15. When i started here it wasn't easy, i got quite a few 0 votes posts, that hurt me, and pushed me to do better and better, and took me to the good level i am now. That was hard work, long hours in front of the monitor knowing that what i was doing i couldn't do the month before. After the site change, i started voting for pics i would have never before with only 15 precious votes. Everybody did. That is the key to my tought. Getting low votes was a drive to improve and try and do better.. Now that drive is almost gone, as a good amount of average to low quality posts almost never get low votes, 0 votes posts are very fewer in percentage than in the past. We're all responsible for this happening, i know i am not the only one feeling this way, i love this site and its community, i want top notch stuff from the most members possible. Please leave your opinion on this matter.

He did not single any one person out, he made his comments general. I reopened this thread because I beleive we are still missing that vital part of PSC, the learning curve. Yeah ok some people can be harsh and direct with there comment but remember some here have a small grasp of the English language, including those that only speak English. Friend votes will always be a part of PSC but we need to look at the work and see the skill and vote accordingly.

Try not to make this a "I hate Arco" thread we got one of them some where and its funny as hell. Instead try and make this a reason to learn and improve your skills. this site has a lot to offer if only we could drop our egos and listen with an objective ear, or eye as the case my be.

I beleive that the voting here has always followed the skill level of the contestants, if most do cut and paste then they will vote for the cut and paste, if there is a high level of PS skill used as in the giraffe contest then the cream will rise to the top. If the voters know a style they will vote on it more. Because they don't understand or know how an effect was achieved then they may decide that it was just a good blend of externals, there was a time here when every one posted there externals. That way you have a good idea of just what was done.

Recently I asked for externals on an image and received a very long PM about why I was attacking there image, all I wanted to know was how much was there work and not an external. It turned out it was almost all source and that's what I thought but because I did not know for sure I asked wont ask again because the hassle afterwards and the fall out about asking for externals cause so much shit here because of nothing more than egos.

I got questioned on the rusty hub entry, because a few people did not understand how to us displacement and overlays to create shapes using the texture of the source. Not there fault just a lack of skill. We do have a lot of new people here that have not as yet learnt how to see what has been achieve with some of the more sophisticated images. So don't single people out and be honest if you see a fault or a way to improve some ones work then say so. If they take offence don't do it again, its so simple.

So yes we have problems and yes it is attitudinal, its a shame that we bend to be accept instead of being honest. If my chop is shit, yep I get a little pissed being told, but to tell the truth if its shit I know its shit and take the comments as a "Do Better Next time"

One Last Thing.
I don't always agree with Arco, yep he is brash and egotistical, but one thing I will say, he can back up his comments with skills and creative ideals, if you just ignore the attitude he can teach you more about PSC than most, he taught me a lot in the beginning.

Ok Soapbox is open.

buckie74

Post Thu May 07, 2009 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

Post Thu May 07, 2009 2:45 am   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
You are right, of course, on a personal level. I've gotten some great advice and feedback and I enjoy that kind of learning. WTF feels like a slap in the face though. Opinion, yes, constructive, no. We have zero tolerance for bullying behavior in schools these days. I think that speaking up is important. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Isn't that what voting is about?

Well it is called Photoshopcontest.com not beautcontest.com
So I would hope voting would have a large consideration to the skills used. I have seen some very beautiful images here from some extraordinary artist sometimes that artist is not the person who posts the image. Backgrounds and externals are important here but at the end of the day its is Photoshopcontest.com.

I dont think Arco is a bully, and I dont agree with WTF comments either. Try not to judge people here to harshly until you have been around a little longer and learnt the history of PSC. So many new people here judge very quickly on one or two meetings in cyberspace. I have not voted on contests in a very long time and recently my comments have been questioned. I quote, "what right do you have to comment on my work lets see you chop something better, enter a contest and we will judge your work". Look at my portfolio its all I will say, check the stats read some of the chopper profiles learn about the people here before you cast judgements. Its a little like real life tolerance and acceptance goes a long way here if you are ready to step up and take it for what it is.

Man I got to much time on me hands huh. Oh by the way
I HOME WOO HOO

buckie74

Post Thu May 07, 2009 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic