Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Stock Image Vs Photoshopped Image - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Are there more entries these days than in the past that are relying on the artwork of others to get votes?

I agree

61%

61%

[ 34 ]

I disagree

38%

38%

[ 21 ]

Total Votes: 55

Queen La Tiff

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, but did you have to put 'newbie' in italics like that? Like we're lepers or something...sheesh! I'll be sure not to post any more opinions until I'm an oldie...and in the meantime, you Heathers can get back to your Heathering. Dag! Hmmm

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:20 am   Reply with quote         

BOO HOO!!
Come on La Tiff (or maybe I should say La Sniff), all "newbie" means is someone new to the site. The word is not meant to offend nor is it a reference to one new to the sites ability level within Photoshop.

The italics was meant to emphasize that it was "someone new to the site" that I like to hear from since it is their view and opinion that is the freshest.

You newbies should Stop being so sensitive and dramatic. Unless, of course, you are in fact a lepar, in which case I apologize.

Queen La Tiff

Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

La Sniff...I like that. My allergies have been acting up lately. In all seriousness, maybe you are right, and maybe I misinterpreted what you were implying. And I surely didn't express myself as well as I could have...personally, I just joined this site to become better at Photoshop. I guess I DID sound kind of whiny, there. Note to self: stick to chopping photos!

blue_lurker

Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok don’t normally enter this type of forum issue, and I agree with Brother Blue about the fun fun fun thing.

With regards to the stock v original.

Who cares, if it’s a cut and paste, full morph, over use of filters or just a straight up head transplant, as long as it has no piano accordions and I like the image then I will vote.

Let’s get back to the basics; the site is called Photoshop competition…so if you use Photoshop to change your image then what the hell you can enter it, if some one likes it then they vote, simple isn’t it.

Now every one get back to there PCs and behave cause you don’t want me to get reinman involved with this cause it will just end up being another excuse for a naked party hat wearing piano according wielding wing ding…..

EJH

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

I noticed that there were a couple of entries in the mannequin contest that seem to be at the heart of this stock photo debate...

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/72437/display.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/72425/display.html

They came in 4th and 6th place, respectively.

I'm just trying to understand the thought process here...

To the voters:
What makes these entries get so many votes? Past polls have indicated that creativity is the biggest factor of images receiving votes. But both of these posts have relied on the humor/appeal of an existing image, and they're only related to the PSC image in the fact that a particular head was stuck on the mannequin. To me, it seems like they looked at the daily image, did a search for "mannequin", found a funny/pretty picture, and pasted the PSC head in. (and in the b&w one, the grainy quality of the image wasn't even matched very well, IMO) I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem very creative to me. It feels like entries like these are getting tons of votes for someone finding a nice picture, rather than the thought that went in.

If the PSC image were taken out of either of these images, their concept/visual appeal would be no different. Which, to me, begs the question: where is the creativity?

I realize my opinions won't be taken well by some, but I hope you do respect the fact that I waited until the close of the contest to discuss this here, rather than commenting on the entries themselves and possibly affecting the voting. And I hope you take this as a point of discussion instead of viewing it as a complaint or attack by me.

EJH

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

boy are you ever right

Cynn

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:40 pm   Reply with quote         

EJH, I didn't vote for either of those, for the reasons you cited. That's my solution: I simply don't vote when I think little or no effort went into a chop.

Perhaps a reasonable discussion is another good solution. However, SOT's solution of being a nasty asshole is definitely counterproductive and may actually cause the opposite result--more votes for the people he's attacking.

Lurker is right, though. As long as an image has been PhotoShopped, it's a fair entry, and people are free to cast their votes however they see fit.

Now.. about those PSP images... Laughing Wink

Doodler!

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:24 pm   Reply with quote         

doh Rolling Eyes

people who have to use the best stock images to produce a good pic are going to forgive it...

People who chop an image from the ground up are not...

If you have to time to search for a stock image for every entry then Hmmm get a life..

I will not vote for images with getty pics in them that I have used or that have been used 1000 times before.... thats just me.... I have at a time resorted to using stock and did very well with it... Now I chop them because I can... and it feels better in the end...

If you dont mind having your pic busted out everynow and then....goto digitalart.org or photo.net for the best stock and painted images..... youll improve your VPP in no time...

just wont get a vote from me.. or SOT

EJH

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Cynn wrote:
I didn't vote for either of those, for the reasons you cited. That's my solution: I simply don't vote when I think little or no effort went into a chop.
Fair enough. I'd also be interested, though, to hear from others who did vote for them (some quite enthusiastically). Look, I'm not picking on you guys, just curious to know your thought process... or lack thereof

Wink

Quote:
Perhaps a reasonable discussion is another good solution. However, SOT's solution of being a nasty asshole is definitely counterproductive...
I'm not sure about that... his being an "asshole" certainly sparked conversation on issues that has continued over many weeks and pages. If someone poses an issue in an innocuous way, it usually fizzles pretty quick around here... He may not always be nice, but he sure gets people talking!

ScionShade

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Ahhhhhhhhhh shit, ok - That was a lotta fun,
but we'll do it again later Smile
Thanks for the laughs AL!!!
YOU ROCK BROTHER!!!!!

YerPalAl

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, Scion, YOU attack Cynn, period the fucking end.

Why don't you just get the hell over it and stop acting like a damned child or do you really enjoy being 14?

She said NOTHING to you and SOT is old enough to fend for himself. LET HIM!

He doesn't need you.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:21 am   Reply with quote         

There's no doubt in my mind that if tomorrow's daily image was an umbrella on a white background, there would be 4 people who'd get a picture of Mary Poppins, replace her umbrella with the daily image umbrella and call it a day.

They would then sit back and watch 10-30 votes roll in with comments like "Mary Poppins vote" and "I love that movie!".

This isn't good for the site and I've discussed that at length in the past.

I encourage people to vote for something loftier than good color matching.

The Pope would've wanted it that way.

Doodler!

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:41 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I encourage people to vote for something loftier than good color matching.

who says they can color match... this is a very lofty standard.. this color matching Please next youll say they should not have jagged edges!

lol id rather give comments like these

Quote:
FarkStyl what a work of art. i love how the flattened car's back wheel has sunk into the driveway...

Quote:
Chopper I like the clean edges of the chunky edges. The magazine seems to come right out at you!

[/quote]

EJH

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:56 am   Reply with quote         

And then there are the entries that get tons of votes just because the letters P, S, and C (and occasionally a butchered logo with mismatched perspective) are prominently featured...

Quote:
DUDE! It says "PSC"-- hey, that's what site I'm on! You rock, man!

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I'm assuming that you mean Per Capita?

I thought "Per Capita" was a forum member. Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Stock Image Vs Photoshopped Image - Reply to topic