Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Creativity... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Zingaro

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

sometimes i really run out of any good ideas.
for get creativity back i have to completely cut with the routine things.

...i tought this is a good help for all to speaks about technics to get ideas...
so....what are you people do for going out of the dark tunnel of un-creativity?

* Anfa not to be count in. Wink

gravyboat

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Personally Zing, sometimes I need a little help.....
Smile

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
Zingaro

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah gravy, cat's pride is pretty helpfully Laughing

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Someone once stumbled upon my secret, imagination vitamins. Laughing
Robaccomando

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

take a year off like I did. Wink

YerPalAl

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

I call up ReinMan. I get him to tell me his ideas and this has a double benefit, great ideas for me and he doesn't post against me. Wink

Alex

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I flip the damn thing and put some noise... Wink

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Zingaro, I am currently in one of those 'dark night of the soul' creative desolation periods. For me, it appears to be cyclical. Sometimes ideas flow like a swollen river
over an earthen dike. At other times, the mental desert is so dry that even the barren sand begins to die. I try everything I can think of to inspire creativity-googling,transforming the original source, letting the image sit in my subconscious for a few days, looking at related images, rationally trying to think of a theme and setting that might work for an idea and composition etc.. In all honesty, sometimes I just can't come up with anything that my level of skill and ability can use to create a reasonably decent and viewably pleasing image. Then I just let it go, and move on to the next image. Lately, I have just been letting the images I intuitively connect with dictate whether I make an effort to create an original image.

I suppose that some will swear by listening to classical music, studying the masters, etc.Generally speaking, I think being genuinely inspired with great ideas all of the time is a gift of special genius that most of us don't have. So, we struggle with whatever limited imaginative resources nature has granted us, and on occasion are able to muster the creative insight to produce an especially good and exciting piece of work.

For me, part of this creative process is learning to accept that I cannot be Anfa.
So to use his words, "I go with what I got", knowing that what I have is good enough for who I am, and with that I am content.

In short, this little spiel is probably a little disappointing to you because it doesn't offer any tangible way to automatically inspire the kind of creativity that produces magnificent pictures on command. Noting that, I remind myself that I am talking to one of the greatest creative choppers to ever set foot, mind and brain on this PSC site.
My best guess is that as time passes your creative energy will be restored and your work will be as or more vibrant and powerful than it has ever been..I believe evolution is upwardly mobile even if the process is sometimes slowed by creative inertia..The best is yet to come...

1337hax0r

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:22 pm   Reply with quote         

i usually just go into my den and stare at my favorite poster....

Zingaro

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks for all you said Patre, you give a little help to all of us.
you explain your view of creativity as desert and river...its perfect.
this thread want to be an help for everyones that
doing a creative work too...in each way.
who post in this site has an excess of creativity or at least a pure vent.
Wink

hehe@hax...

sage

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Patre: please write a book, go on tour, appear on Oprah, come to Montreal, call me, I'll show up at the book signing and, if your body guards let me, get my picture taken with you after you sign my copy. Laughing

zingy: I will not speak for anyone else, but in my case, I've noticed that if I struggle to create an image from a source -- that is, I have to think about it, search for what I want, etc. -- the more I struggle, the less creative I seem to be. The ideas for the posts I'm happy with, and seem to be most creative, come to me as soon as I see the source. I see the image I want to create right away. LIke Patre, this seems to come in cycles. I have yet to be happy with an image I've struggled with for inspiration...

Sometime I don't post because I couldn't for the life of my figure out what to do with the source. Then, I'm amazed by all the ideas that fellow PSCers come up with, usually resulting in, "why didn't I think of that?"

Anyway, I know there is no answer in what I've said, but it's hot here, and I gave away my air conditioner.

splodge

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:44 pm   Reply with quote         

i've dried up compleatly, not posted for a month Sad
i think it hapens to us all after a few years

Hallcross Toots
ReinMan

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Best thing to do when nothing is happening is do nothing.

If you are not on a deadline to deliver a creative product to a client (I've got some SPECIAL tricks for that kind of mental block) then DON'T SWEAT IT. It has been said a million BILLION times but we all seem to forget it... this site is about FUN. It should be AMUSING. It shouldn't STRESS YOU OUT! THat is a sign that THINGS ARE NOT FUN at the moment!

If a person (any person) is creatively blocked, sometimes it is just God's way (God = Primary Facilitating Mechanism of the Universal Creative Force) of saying GO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR A WHILE.

Its Ok. PSC will survive without your posts. YOU will survive without posting! BREATH!

And you might be surprised once you wander back to the ol' bitmap chopping unit...

Now... if you DO have a committment to a client, then see GravyBoat's technique at the top area of this page! Smile

sage

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing

I just tell clients I didn't receive their email....must be something wrong with the server....then I ask them to send a "test" email, and act all surprised when it actually comes in. Usually buys me a couple of days! Very Happy

ReinMan

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:42 am   Reply with quote         

Okay.

I'm being CREATIVE here...

Using this special digital imaging software that I sometimes play around with i have UNCOVERED the ROCKSTAR DUDE that is hiding behind the name SAGE!!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Creative - but ITS THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

WORSHIP HIM!

Angel Bow Bow Bow Bow Angel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Creativity... - Reply to topic