Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Ideas for small changes - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HandToolUK

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Just a few ideas for small (but potentially very useful) changes.

"Votes left" on main contest page - I think it would be handy to have the total of votes remaining per contest on the main page of each contest (maybe right under the "Submit your entry to this contest:" box?

For those who don't use all their votes in one go and who return to a contest a few times over the 3 days, it gets hard to keep track of how many you have left unless you 1) click on a pic and scroll down to see, or 2) manually count all the "red" entries you've already voted for.

"Highest placed" in portfolio - might be interesting to be able to sort/rank entries in our portfolios by the placing (winning posts first, then downwards). See how we progressed, what techniques/ideas we used proved most popular, etc.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this might not be such an easy option to add after all. Depends on how PSC calculates the placings in each contest... ah well.

For Advantage users: Number of entries pre-posted - when a contest is open, it's easy to see how many images have been posted ahead of your own... just count them up. But it might be useful for Adv. users to also know how many have already been pre-posted by having a message like "X entries posted" next to each contest on the Advantage page.

Any thoughts on these suggestions?

If anyone else has any ideas for minor changes (ie: NOT complicated or controversial issues like voting systems, interface designs, etc) post 'em here and let us know why you think they could be useful!

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:11 pm   Reply with quote         

What I would like to know is how much money I have left on my credit card before I embarrass myself at the checkout line at the liquor store. (But I guess that's something different)

All valid points, HTUK. I am just wondering what the use is of knowing how many posts there are before you submit using advantage. (That's just me, though.)

One thing I've noticed is that when I am viewing entries in reverse order (latest entries first), and I vote for one, when I click on "return to contest" I am sent back to the default view. It would be nice if my preference for viewing were kept. It's no big deal, but it would be nice. really. nice.

AtHeaMo

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:18 am   Reply with quote         

Constructive as always Tool Cool

I only have one thing (although it is an interface issue, it's minor):

It would be nicer if the table with ' featured pic contests standings forum chat tutorials news faq links donate advantage home' were to be aligned to the left in stead of the right. If someone posts a really large image in chat, this table content partially disappears off the screen.

Cynn

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I like these ideas, too.

I think it'd be neat if I could manually set what I want my three featured contest entries to be, in my profile. That way I could pick what I felt were my three best chops, rather than the highest vote-getters. Smile

ReinMan

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:29 am   Reply with quote         

I think we need an extra bathroom for the men here.
The line up is KILLING me! :O

<senzotaku>

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am   Reply with quote         

hehe, some people in the beginning have not much votes for a winning entry. I can understand that they think its not a good idea. But Its fine with me.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:00 pm   Reply with quote         

the votes left on contest page and retuning to the proper order after voting items have been completed. I do not see the need for some of the other things mentioned yet, but I will note them for future consideration. Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Showcase

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

its just that you are soooo good at this...

right now, if you are veiwing a contest by most votes, and you click the next button, it takes you to the next image in "posting" order, not votes order. Would it make sense to change the "prev" and "next" links under each image to take into account the next image by votes?

Not a big deal...just curious if this could be done...

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

I really liked Cynn's Idea on selecting your own three entries for your profile page. But, I'm sure it would take much effort to make this change...

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:50 pm   Reply with quote         

ok, the browse previous and next buttons also now remember your order and well as if you vote and return to the entry that you voted for.

anfa

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm feeling the positve vibes from this thread.
Well done that Tool man!

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:17 pm   Reply with quote         

AtHeaMo wrote:
Constructive as always Tool Cool

I only have one thing (although it is an interface issue, it's minor):

It would be nicer if the table with ' featured pic contests standings forum chat tutorials news faq links donate advantage home' were to be aligned to the left in stead of the right. If someone posts a really large image in chat, this table content partially disappears off the screen.

AtHeaMo, I just tried this and it just did not look right with the current design/template. I do try to delete and discourage people from positng large images in there when I can.

sage

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:04 am   Reply with quote         

Cool

Thanks, JMH! That was fast!

AtHeaMo

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:16 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
AtHeaMo, I just tried this and it just did not look right with the current design/template. I do try to delete and discourage people from positng large images in there when I can.

Thanks for trying, and for the feed back JMH!

I just had another idea to tackle the large image problem (and, yes, I sometimes post too large stuff as well...):

I assume you have given the chat table data (td) a surtain amout of pixels. In addition, you could try to assign a css code to the images people post.
With:

{
overflow: hidden;
}

those images would then not take in more space than the assigned pixel width for the td.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

AtHeaMo

PS Darn...I just noticed, that in the source code of the chat page, you have given the td a 100% width. I don't know if the overflow css trick will work.....

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

just a small change here.... around the site i notice it says -4 hours GMT, when its actually -5 hours, but hey just thought i would bring that up since this thread is here Very Happy cool changes lately nice work jmh

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Ideas for small changes - Reply to topic