Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - A controversial subject : the sharpen tool. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

che

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:24 am   Reply with quote         

I'm really new in PS and begin to learn it with some tutos and videos, but I still don't know how to use the f***ing sharpen tool (the close friend of smudge and blur tool).

Does anybody ever use it (and get a nice result ,of course) or is it only a thing that was put in PS just in order to being emphazied by the size of free-disk space required by the installation process ? Confused

I tried it many times without getting any improvements in the picture (in the better case).

Could you give me some examples of the way to use it (and maybe some links with some posts in which it was involved).

Thx and excuse for this NB question but I'd hate to remove it from my keyboards shortcuts list.

I'm waiting for your answer, the finger ready to validate my new shortcuts list.

Quick !!! Only you can save my sharpen tool !!!

chrispis

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:36 am   Reply with quote         

don't use it,.. I know I don't Smile

blue_lurker

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:25 am   Reply with quote         

I agree never use it had to check and see what ya were talking about...
Just tried it made the image look grainy and pixel funny type thingy stuff.

Dont know che have to wait for one of the top shelve choppers to answer...

splodge

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:50 am   Reply with quote         

Hallcross Toots
Alex

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 am   Reply with quote         

I do all my chops with the sharpen tool only... It's the best tool ever. Now can someone explain me how to use the "About Photoshop" option in menu?

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:12 am   Reply with quote         

The sharpen tool is a basic tool used for sharpening elements in a picture that could use an extra punch. Say for instance a badge on a uniform or a metal object like a logo emblem on a car or any object that is shiney that needs a bit more detail.

To use the tool it is best to use just a single click at a time. Set the tools brush size to be just larger than the element to be sharpened and set the transparency/opasity to about 40%. Change the tools blending mode to luminosity to avoid strange color shifts. It is best not to drag the tool over an element that you intend to sharpen because the tool will work like an airbrush and continue sharpening as you move the tool. Make single clicks until satisfied with the result.

It is helpful to use the tool in conjucnction with the history brush. To do so, set the history brush size to be about one third the sharpen tool brush size. Click in the tab next to the last history state to activate that state for using the history brush then begin to sharpen with the sharpen tool a single click at a time. When satisfied, switch to the history brush and remove unwanted areas of sharpening around the element that you brushed over with the sharpen tool. This way you can sharpen only the element that needs attention without sharpening the background area. In other words the history brush works like an eraser to protect areas that do not require sharpening.

There are better ways to sharpen but for quick fixes on an image the sharpen tool can often yeild very good results. If used as described above I'm sure that you will get the hang of it and learn to improvise on your own.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

velocity

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

I've used it a couple time to integrate different sources to get a desired effect. Usually I'm not happy with the result and hit the UNDO button(my favorite).

If you look at the pile of sand in the background of the following pic and compare it to the original source, you can see that I sharpened it to give it a more grainy texture.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/65770/display.html#

Patre

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:53 am   Reply with quote         

Jerry..
I just wanted to take a minute and thank-you for the tutorial on how to use the "sharpen" tool. I never really understood how to apply it so specifically until reading your tut.
Also appreciated your reference to the history eraser as a way to localize the sharpened area..
Thanks for taking the time to post some very helpful information.. Smile

ReinMan

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

like many 'specialized' tools (see HandTool-Uk's entry to understand better) the sharpen tool can be used rarely but is used when it is used. (!?)

I personally find it better to select what individual bits of the image I want sharpened up with the lasso tool (or quick mask) and then use Unsharpen Mask.

Just another option.

jerry717

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

I agree Reinman...but Che did ask specifically about the sharpen tool...there are many tools that exist in PS and not all who use PS understand all of them. It is helpfull to learn what everythng does and then make choices about preference later through experience.

ReinMan

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

And you, Jerry, I agree with too! Very Happy

Klaatu Barada Nicktoh

splodge

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

bookmark this site, i used it alot when i started
http://www.arraich.com/ref/aatoolbar6.htm

Hallcross Toots
jerry717

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 am   Reply with quote         

Klaatu Barada Nicktoh

Ha...Is that klingon?

Gort

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

not klingon....from the classic sci-fi film The Day The Earth Stood Still. It is a message from Klaatu to the robot Gort to tell him not to destroy the Earth.

che

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow wow wow wow !!!

Thank you all of you and particulary splodge and of course jerry717 !!!

Finally you saved it !!! I'll try to use it in my future posts.

I wondered if that was the kind of site where everybody keep his tips secret...Pretty glad to discover that it's not.
I asked this question caus'I learnt photoshop mainly with Total Training DVDs where it was said that sharpen tool was bull**it and that was the case in my attempts.

Thanks to you, I'll consider to make him efficient as a great challenge not lost in advance.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - A controversial subject : the sharpen tool. - Reply to topic