Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Ideas for more Interesting stats on people performance.... - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:01 pm   Reply with quote         

lol a fight?

ScionShade

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Haxor,
i aint so good at saying such things without sounding insulting.
The stats mean so little anyway, they are not and never can be accurate.
Do all the math you want you can't put every necessarey variable into
the equation. My stats look better than a LOT of people that I concede
are FAR FAR FAR FAR better than I,
For the three or four people on this site who's stats are gonna "look'
better there's all the majority of the rest who will look worse.
There's a lot of people who've just been too busy to chop lately, when they all start showing back up again...well,to be honest..there are gonna be a few people that got caught up in their egos who aren't gonna like it...truth.BIG TRUTH.
Seeking even more recognition than one already has earned, is frankly embarrassing to see.

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I'll support whatever decision JMH makes (or doesn't) regarding this.

I personally think including those stats is a bit much.

It doesn't mean anything. It only opens doors for more ridiculous breakdowns...

..."Who won the most contests on a TUESDAY?" Ooooooooh.

I'm sorry Macro. Not everyone is as overwhelmingly obsessed with the contest portion of this site as you.

Like I said, if JMH wants to include it, it's his call.

HandToolUK

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Hm... I kinda like the idea in general, but I can see that it could give the impression of making PSC too competition-focused, and like bluefist says, could lead to even more obsessive stat-seeking!

Whatever jmh decides about it would be just as good. But at least I do think being able to sort one's own portfolio by wins AND 2nds, 3rds too would be good...

Goat1981

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

1337hax0r wrote:
though jmh clearly states that he would rather not have a strict competition site....which i feel would happen if the 2nd, and 3rd place stats were implemented.

Oh come now... How would the act of COUNTING 2nd's and 3rds make this a "strict competition site"? Rolling Eyes I don't get it...It's just another stat; no different than counting wins.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I think this is a great idea marco! As long as theses stats are available they should be shown right?

ScionShade

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:45 pm   Reply with quote         

I sincerely hope something like this is not implemented without
leaving a 'sticky' poll in the forums for at least a month so noone misses it.

Lrossa

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't agree, I don't think we need to know 2nd and 3rd placement, then like was said before it will be who won the most in the first week of the month of whatever and then who one the most or placed the most during the summer solstice or etc etc etc

i know its a little exaggerated but once you really focus on this being competition it will get out of hand Very Happy

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

LaRossa is correct. Cool

ScionShade

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:54 pm   Reply with quote         

BIG DITTO,
I feel like I'm at at an RPG site this summer--Who's got all the stats?
Why the guy that spends twenty hours a day playing the game.
Who's the best around? Hard to find him him, he's still fighting
with a wooden staff cause he has a job IRL. Razz
True

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok its great to see both sides of the arguement here, but, my point was to let people see the 2nd and 3rd stats of members without having to trawl through all the portfolios and make there own tally chart to get the figures they want, because no one will do this, but people do want to. Not because they love the competition side, or because they are stat obsessed, but because they are interested.

an interesting and itriguing community is a happy one. my point was not meant to make people think, jeeze marco, its not all about the win. cos thats not were I'm coming from here. I am on about site accessability.

If you wish to look at it from a competition side, versus learning, well then I suppose competition to make people strive for the quality that gets these positions will aid their learning and indeed make them more proficient and indeed a better photoshopper.

I reiterate though, it is about information on demand, that will only lead to making this site one of the most interesting and community friendly sites on the web.

I love this site, and all to do with it, I am just trying to make it better, like many are. This point is not, I repeat not about making people look at stats and think woooooo this is a great competion site. Its all about the community and what feeds it.

Right off to bed with me lol Laughing

all the best my fellow psc'ers

Lrossa

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:03 pm   Reply with quote         

i completly understand what you are saying Marco and how you think this would improve the site by having stats be more accessable, however, you might be the only one who believes its just for easy accessability and not proof that you or anyone else here is a great or good chopper because of where your pics are placed and how many of them are placed.

That is just my opinion, its great to have these things listed in your portfolio that is where it is easily accessable to other who are curious. Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

The idea of having the site be about learning site instead of a competition site is great. But going with that wouldn't you want to know who's really good so that you can study their work? Question

I've had one chop that did really good. That by no means makes me a really good chopper though. Knowing the track record of someone is likely to make me want to look at their portfolio. It would also indicate the people that I could try sending a PM to to see how they do what they do.

If people are using the stats as an ego boost there's nothing anyone can do about it. Anytime you label something as a contest there's going to be an element of competition there.

If people are going to get worked up about it then they're not the type to be accepted here in the first place and they'll eventually leave on their own.

As very eloquently stated "it's jmh's site so it's up to him". If mine and marco's suggestions are not implemented I'm not going to have any hard feelings. After all this is the Brain Storm forum and not the DO-it-or-I'll-cause-a-stink forum.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Lrossa wrote:
I don't agree, I don't think we need to know 2nd and 3rd placement, then like was said before it will be who won the most in the first week of the month of whatever and then who one the most or placed the most during the summer solstice or etc etc etc

i know its a little exaggerated but once you really focus on this being competition it will get out of hand Very Happy

Then why have the "Monthly Leader" stat?

My fork's poked in so I'm done too... Very Happy

ScionShade

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Monthly leader stat goes by most votes- it is meaningless-- over HALF the winners
every month don't even get on the leader page AND HALF of the all time greatest chops didn't even get on the monthly leader page.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Ideas for more Interesting stats on people performance.... - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.