Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Kids' Chops - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Queen La Tiff

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:48 am   Reply with quote         

Well, for once I hope griddlecakes enters something--Zak has him beat, at least.

st1n3r

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:47 am   Reply with quote         

Nickelodeon makes a wonderful site for kids. Smile

Queen La Tiff

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Yikes...okay, st1n3r, go ahead and throw some swears at him, then...I'll use it as an opportunity to point out the difference between good criticism and pointless insults...plus we live in NYC and he's ten years old, so I doubt you know any swears he hasn't heard.

I know moms get real defensive where their kids are concerned, but I tried to respect the other users of this site by posting a thread to get feedback BEFORE I told Z he could enter. And, not for nothing, but his entry looks good. He worked really hard removing halos for almost an hour, so that his entry would be "good enough" to post.

I also should point out that, when a new user signs up, there is a different 'submit' button for users under 13...if this site was designed for adults only, I don't know why that would be there. This site is clearly designed for anyone who wants to play by the rules of the site.

Now go turn off the Nirvana and put on some Beach Boys or something...you need to mellow out a little. Mr. Green

By the way, there are NO kids' chop sites out there...I checked. And Zak has described that Nickelodeon site as "whackalicious." That's a direct quote.

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:59 pm   Reply with quote         

My kids are now 13 and 10 and they like to help mom chop. My 13 year old was really into it when I first started here. He actually has helped me with ideas, and they both serve as my "second eyes" to pick out mistakes in images before I post them.

They both mess around with Photoshop Elements, which is less overwhelming to them than PS, but they mostly just mutilate pictures of friends and family...putting heads on funny bodies, etc.

And any computer they have access to in my house they can only view the contest area of the site. I have chat and forum blocked with my Nazi Parental Controls. I actually can read all their AIM chats the next day and from the language of one of my 13 year old's friends, I'm thinking it must be st1n3r's kid. Wink

Besides, if they ever read what Chicken says about me or saw that sausage picture....
*shudders*

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

i am a circle i have no point Smile

(basically i have reconsidered)
(the whole bi-polar thing)

hope your kid enjoys photoshop as much as we all do Smile

Queen La Tiff

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't hate you, I wouldn't want you banned from the site, and I'm not particularly offended by anything you said. You are a member, paid or not, and you have the right to your opinion--I totally respect that, even if I disagree with you.

I think my boy is old enough to understand most of what goes on here, and the need for the grains of salt. His entry is beating mine in this contest, so I guess he was right to submit.

As for language, you should hear some of the stuff I hear outside of the school when I pick Zak up every day! Out of the mouths of kids, too--I must say "You kiss your mother with that mouth?" at least twice a week to his peers. Should I keep him away from the school?

Not to get too deep here, but parents can't shield kids from the swears of the world--sometimes even I swear-- just to prove my damn point. I judged his "readiness" to submit to this site by looking at his PS skills, which I deemed good enough. I guess I believe that the benefits of him getting involved with the daily contests outweigh whatever drawbacks there may be...and, believe it or not, I thought about it a lot in advance. Just like I think a lot about how he's learning more than just swears at school.

And let's keep it in perspective. It's not like he's got the attention span of an adult...I'm still wondering if he's going to get bored within a week and move on to something else. st1n3r, I'm guessing you're not a parent yet. So maybe you won't understand me when I say that people without kids don't have any idea what raising a kid is like. Protecting them is pretty easy...learning how to let them protect themselves is much, much harder. And the parent needs to let the kid "get out there" in order for that to happen. Make no mistake--I'm right behind him when he's looking at this site...he doesn't even have the internet on his computer.

But I gotta say, I'm more worried about him picking up lazy spelling, punctuation, and grammar habits around here than I am about a few curse words.

TheShaman

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I am guilty of the 'lazy spelling, punctuation, and grammar habits' Embarassed

oh and while we are on the topic.... I see this one quite frequently

Your - of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors

You're (AS IN YOU ARE)

that one just drives me nuts
I can get past the upper/lower case stuff, cause this is a thread and not a paper, and I am way guilty of not using propper punctuation and grammar....

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Queen La Tiff wrote:
Well, for once I hope griddlecakes enters something--Zak has him beat, at least.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree we need a subsection for the kids. It's fun to see art through the eyes of children.
It can be just a gallery for kids to show their work. Not a contest or anything. Just for fun.
What do ya think JMH?

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Very cool and too true db. I have a 4 year old daughter her stuff cracks me up. Good fun to view.

Relic

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't have any children but I think this is a neat idea, because there are far worse things out there for kids to be doing other than chopping.

Unfortunately it's going to be a tad embarrassing getting out voted by 6-11 year olds. Laughing Embarassed Doh! Crying or Very sad

Showcase

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm   Reply with quote         

you cant be serious.
nothing against kids (I have three ages 3-12) or their creativity, but I just don't think adding a kids section would do anything for the site or me.

there are plenty of other kid oriented places they can go. this is a place where I can be an adult in a completely immature way without worrying about my example to this country's future.
Rolling Eyes my 3 cents.

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Can I post my stuff In a kids Contest?

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:07 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing @ FF

arcaico

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am   Reply with quote         

dbbowling wrote:
It's fun to see art through the eyes of children.

Thanks! Smile

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Kids' Chops - Reply to topic