Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - CHANGING COLORS IN TEXTURED LEATHER - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

what would be the best way to change a black leather purse to a tan colored purse without loosing depth and texture?

thanks in advance

FootFungas

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

If you post the pic I could see what i could do

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't you have to post at least 10 times before picking the PSC brain? Pretty sure I read that in the FAQs. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

jerry717

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:08 pm   Reply with quote         

If the image is in RGB, look at the individule channels in BW and select the lightest channel as the only active channel. From the keyboard or the select menu, select the full canvas (select all) and then copy the channel to the clip board. Create a new RGB doc. The size will be (by default) exactly the size of what is in the clip board (original doc). Paste the contents of the clip board into the new doc and flatten it. It will be a perfect bw image of the channel you selected from the original. Use the curves palette to adjust the area of concern with out worrying about the rest of the picture. Once satisfied with the lightness or darkness of the pic you can begin to colorize it. Tip: With the curves pallette open you can click and drag across the area of concern and it will appear in the curves pallete as a sliding circle that will show you exactly the area of the curve that will need to be adjusted.

The easiest way to colorize the image from here would be to use the Hue Saturation command. Check the colorize check box and then adjust the Hue and Saturation sliders until you have achieved the desired color. Duplicate the base layer and then set the duped layer to color blending mode. You can then use the dodge and burn tools to manipulate the colors to creat variation or you can pick colors from the color picker and airbrush to make subtle variation changes in the color. Once satisfied, you can select the area of interest by using the pen tool or by other means and then put it back into your original document. You can make further adjustments to the corrected area or the surrounding areas to complete the effect. It will depend on the lighting and orientation of the original. Without seeing exactly what you have, this is the best that I can offer.

Hope this is Helpfull
Jerry

PS: Note to Eve...No Wink

arcaico

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

the councyl decides you should post the pic so we can revert it to the alligator form...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

supak0ma

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

directly from the master himself, lucky girl/boy Razz

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

I Thank you so much for your advice. I will try this method and reply my results.

Again thank you for being helpfull

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:25 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
the councyl decides you should post the pic so we can revert it to the alligator form...

how do I post the pic?

Netwel

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Put it on some webspace and link from your post to it.
If you aint got no webspace, try http://www.imageshack.us/

jerry717

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

DEZINEWERKS wrote:

how do I post the pic?

You would require a hosting site like photobucket.com or other and then upload your image there and then post a link. If you don't already have a hosting site, it is not that difficult to get one...There are plenty of free hosting sites available.

Jerry

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05122abny353cmyk117066co.jpg[/img]

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Jerry717

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

This color?

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

So Rey, did you use the Jerry method or another way?

jerry717

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

OK... I'm not sure what color you want but that is not important because any color can be achieved. I chose a medium brown. The only thing I did different from my above recomendation is that I used a blending mode to create color variance for speed. I did this in about 15 minutes. I cut a path on the original document and then placed the corrected version on top using the path as a mask. I used two version of the corrected layer. One in color blend mode and one in luminosity blend mode with different transparency settings. I then used the mask to apply a curve using the blend if sliders to control the outcome. All in all the result is fair for not actually trying to do a perfect job.

Here is my result...

Cheers
Jerry

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - CHANGING COLORS IN TEXTURED LEATHER - Reply to topic