Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - using a drawing tablet, yes or no? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

wendysmurfie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:07 am   Reply with quote         

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here is using a drawing tablet ( or even screen) to chop.
If yes, how do you like that and why do you prefer that more than the mouse?

I'm asking cause sometimes my hand (wrist) is realy getting painfull cause i'm resting on it for hours. I tried everything i could to change the position of my hand, but that just doesnt work easy for me. So i thought about buying a drawing tablet, but i don't know if thats more difficult to control/ easy to get used to and if i need drawing skills for using one of those things... i dont know anyone who uses suchs a tablet so i thought i would ask it here. Sometimes i have to stop working cause the pain is so bad i just cant continue, and that my friends... sucks Sad

Thanks for helping.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:12 am   Reply with quote         

hi, i had the same problem, bought a tablet and my wrist got back to normal, just remember to use the pen they give you with it, not the mouse ! >P

jefflang007

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:26 am   Reply with quote         

ah, this ol chestnut, yeah wendy i asked this a few months back. I use it for things like fine erasing or colouring and on other areas that i dont get complete control with the mouse. They are pretty cool. I think you either like them or you dont.
i have and acecad, acecat flair, a little cheaper than the wacom but, still good quality.

jeff

http://www.langmark.com
splodge

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:26 am   Reply with quote         

work through it smurf, the pain will go away, i had the same problem when i started chopping

Hallcross Toots
supak0ma

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:26 am   Reply with quote         

do what splodge says, and in 10 years time you can-t chop anymore Wink

wendysmurfie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

since i'm 26 i think i would like to chop a little bit longer. And i need that wrist for other things to Laughing

Okay, i think i'm gonna buy myself such a thing. Maybe find someone who has one and try it out (if i can find anyone) maybe i can try it in the store.
They arent very expensive, so its worth a try (i saw one from trust for 30 euro, but dont know if thats good) went to the store today but couldn't find it. I think i have to order from internet.

Thanks for the reply's!

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:52 am   Reply with quote         

i've tried that, but cant do much more than clicking .. when i have to draw or erase it just wont do.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm one of those people where the tablet just didn't 'take.' I'm a fine artist, so I thought I was a prime canidate for tablet-chopping.

Didn't like it.

Solved my wrist problem by doing two things: 1: pushing the keyboard back so that my arms could rest on the desk almost up to the elbow (worked wonders) and B) bought an infrared, ball-less mouse (please hold your Feral Hamster jokes until the end of the post). You wouldn't think the type of mouse has much to do with it...but it's amazing how much it takes out of your wrist to try and work with that stupid ball.

But if you still want a tablet, maybe I'll sell you mine. Like-new. Razz

supak0ma

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

dont buy a trust tablet! its a piece of crap. i had to return it.

wendysmurfie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Queen, (if i can say that, now i hope your not a guy cause that'll be a bit funny Confused dont dare to laugh just in case)

That is an idea, i did what you said, but my keyboard and mouse back so my arms rest on the desk now.... but my feet cant touch the ground now Sad oh well, i'll just try it for i while,.. maybe i'm going to like it when my feet are hanging around.
It's that goeny and me use the same desk... he is 2.05 meter, and i'm just 1.68m so the desk is a bit high for me but if we would take one that's lower he cant sit at it.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Yup! A tablet is a good thing. I cant imagine coming back with a mouse. I'm using regularly brushes and the pen pressure setting is really helpful. The tablet & keyboard side by side, my left hand on the tablet and my right one on the keyboard, it's really comfortable. I have a Wacom & like it. I dont know about other brand. If you're trying it in a store, I'm not sure if you can really appreciate it. It takes maybe 2-3 days to feel enough in control.

wendysmurfie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:54 am   Reply with quote         

ok, thanks claf. So it wont be a trust that's for certain. I will think about all the comments (thanks for that) and see what i will do. It's not easy to decide though.
As for now i dont come up with any ideas (that sucks), so i dont have the problem Laughing
Thanks to you all for giving your opinion

Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:55 am   Reply with quote         

i bot an e3works tablet for like 50 bucks +s&h. Good tablet imo, then again its my first so theres not much to compare it with. It has like 1000 sensitivity levels. pretty cool. i still havnt gotten used to using it. I even forget i have one at times, but when i do bust it out it helps a bunch. go for it!

Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

I have a small Wacom tablet and had problems with the feel of the pen, too slippery no tension or feel on the nib. Now I put a small piece of paper to cover the writing area and that gives me the tension(feel if you wish).Probably wear out the tip fast but at least it's being used.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

Well I'm using a Wacom graphire 2, pretty old and simpel model (not sure if it's still sold), But it still does its job. Alltough lately I sometimes experience trouble with the pressure. Seems it just doesn't work anymore and it's at full pressure no matter what (probably buy a new one in the forthcoming months.)

But I couldn't live without it anymore, I hardly even use the mouse these days, even when working with programs wich have absolutely nothing to do with graphics (text editors, surfing, etc..)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - using a drawing tablet, yes or no? - Reply to topic