Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Giffing like its 1999 - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

should Gif entries be allowed slightly more file size than jpegs?

Yes

44%

44%

[ 13 ]

No

37%

37%

[ 11 ]

Yes but jpegs size should increase too

3%

3%

[ 1 ]

Slap marco, then roll eyes while walking away mumbling 'stupid Brit, probably doesn't know what a Gif is'

10%

10%

[ 3 ]

Yes but not as much as you suggest

3%

3%

[ 1 ]

Total Votes: 29

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:25 am   Reply with quote         

I do not know if this has been raised at all, but I was thinking, so I thought I would stick it down in a new thread.

Basically, I am not one for making gifs for PSC, I really should do one but have even less time now, so seems unlikely.

anyway, my point is. Would it be seen as unfair to up the size of gifs. Say if you are a none advantage user raise it from 75k to 125k

and if you are an advantage user up it from 125k to say maybe 200k?

I always respect the gif makers here, alot of work goes into alot of them, but because of the detail alot are forced to be unbelievably small.

The size constraints on jpeg entries for flat images are fine in my opinion. you can get a great image for 125k, and even 75k

so basically what I am asking, is for the giffers out there, would it be possible to give them a little more to play with, and leave the jpeg limits where they are?

I for one would love to see slightly bigger gifs going on.

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:35 am   Reply with quote         

Good idea. Unshackle the gif makers!

bigbuck

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:45 am   Reply with quote         

That's a great idea Marco....... I, for one, would really appreciate that. Interestingly, I've binned three gifs this afternoon because by the time I got them under 125, they were either so small, or of such poor quality that I'd not be prepared to post them.
Here's hoping eh?
Brad.

wendysmurfie

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:17 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy That would be great. I made only one, but i needed Splodge and Caf to help me make it smaller without loosing to much of the gif. Those things are hard to compress if you still want them to look good.

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

Another alternative (although it requires an extra click by the viewer) is to have a free picture hosting service like imageshack to host the gif.

Imageshack lets you post pics up to 1024k.

I did this recently for the tile contest:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/92475/throbbing-tiles.html

Probably not as preferable as what you're suggesting, but an alternative nonetheless...

buglover

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:36 am   Reply with quote         

Hm, I personaly think that it is "no good". The low sice makes lot's of gif ideas senseless, a kind of natural selection. Yes gif's are fun, but they schouldn't become to much and I don't realy think that a biger sice would make them better - just more perfect. Maybe with 6 gifs out of 31 posts I shouldn't be to loud - but anyway that's my opinion.

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 am   Reply with quote         

I like gify magic and I like the challenge in getting a respectable image size for a respectable gif. Keep it as it is, like Mr rashdog said...we can always link it to another site.

FootFungas

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

I just posted a gif at like 150px its awful and ilinked a 550px swf that had exactly the same filesize

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:15 am   Reply with quote         

I wouldn't tolerate Gif at all... Except for L@rue. Wink

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:09 am   Reply with quote         

I like gifs but I like the idea of the restricted file size too. The restricted size forces you to be more creative (IMHO).

As for linking to a larger size I'm all for it but I try to base my vote on what was actually submitted to the contest. Otherwise we'd have people submitting huge jpgegs and linking their submission to the "better" version.

So; in conclusion; keep the size the same, let people link to bigger versions, and here comes Showcase somewhere along the line.... Laughing

jerry717

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:07 am   Reply with quote         

I agree with tofu...it is a challenge to create a gif that fits within the constraints. It is, however, quite possible to create nice size gifs that fit. There will be one comming from me very soon that actually uses the full resolution (pixel size) without much loss in quality from it's still jpg version.

As for those who are intollerant of gifs in general...well that's just obsurd. This is Photshopcontest.com. Image ready is as much a part of photoshop as the rubberstamp tool. gifs take a lot of time and energy to create and should be just as well recieved as any jpg images submitted and not be discounted because it is an animated gif....that is just MHO.

Jerry

MAIKROPHONE

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:06 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I like gifs but I like the idea of the restricted file size too. The restricted size forces you to be more creative (IMHO).

I agree with Tofu, but that will be reasonable:

marcoballistic wrote:
.........and if you are an advantage user up it from 125k to say maybe 200k?

MoLinKo

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:10 pm   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
I just posted a gif at like 150px its awful and ilinked a 550px swf that had exactly the same filesize

Would it be possible to do flash entries on this site?

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Has a gif ever won a contest?

Serps

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Theres been a few Gifs win contests this one http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/52289/display.html was a great Gif

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Giffing like its 1999 - Reply to topic