Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Ethics on source photos? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which version should the submitter use?

Use the one you took. You have to resize down anyway.

30%

30%

[ 9 ]

Play it fair. Use the one posted for the daily like everyone else.

46%

46%

[ 14 ]

I can't believe I read this. I want the last couple minutes of my life back.

23%

23%

[ 7 ]

Total Votes: 30

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:53 am   Reply with quote         

Heh, I can just picture someone submitting a picture of a transformer toy, and then entering another picture of it in its transformed state. Laughing

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:32 am   Reply with quote         

lol Doc, now that would just go down as uber cheating

yello_piggy

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:38 am   Reply with quote         

The source-pic of the contest "bike-bones" a few weeks ago, was uploaded by me. when the pic came to contest, I didnt have even one idea what to chop with it Laughing
Fairness rules anyway, and I am sure that we can catch the one who cheats. there are too many experts around here, also the mods (yes they dont just look for butts in the entries Razz ). on the other hand, a good entry will look good in small size too, and crap will look like crap when you scale it, so go back chopping!

blue_lurker

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:41 am   Reply with quote         

I would love to make a comment in this topic but um...well...um...er...oh ta hell with it...ya see i dont...well iI dont know what.... Evil or Very Mad
Whats this "ETHICS" thing ya all talkin about Wink

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:44 am   Reply with quote         

Hmmmmmmmmm......

*grabs camera and runs upstairs to take pictures of sons' transformer toys and legos*

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:14 am   Reply with quote         

in my opinion ... people who have submitted the source shouldn't be aloud to chop it ... it's just not fair ... same with moderators .... they shouldn't be active members ...

It's still a competition site, so we should keep things fair Smile

supak0ma

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:17 am   Reply with quote         

STFU and CHOP deshone!

blue_lurker

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

Show Them Funny Underware Shocked
Ya kinky supa Twisted Evil

TheShaman

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:18 am   Reply with quote         

Any pictures that I have uploaded to this site, I NEVER start on until it comes up in the que for advantage... again I feel thats only fair. plus you all can talk about having an unfair advantage with being the one who sent in the picture, but I'm with piggy, and prob anyone else who submitts pictures here, the ideas dont flow as easily when you submit a picture, I feel its much easier to chop someone elses submission than trying to figure out what to do with your own. the rose was the closest I came to actually winning (second) with my own source... Kansas beat me out though with a wonderful entry.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

I think using your larger one doesnt make that much of a difference.
But using different angles is cheating so bad

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't bring this up in an attempt to define hard rules and codes of conduct for PSC. It was just a question that popped into my head when I saw that one of my pics was coming up. The reason it came up is that one of the best advice tips I'd ever seen was "work with large images and shrink down to the entry size when the chop is done". Working larger and then shrinking down is way more forgiving and can allow you to hide sublte imperfections.

I gotta say that I totally disagree with the attitude that the photographer shouldn't be allowed to enter a chop for the contest. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Think about the logic that's been thrown out here for a second. Photographer takes photo. Photographer spends inordinate amount of time chopping said photo. Chopper uploads original photo to PSC and waits for it to show up in daily contest.

That just doesn't make sense to me for a couple reasons.

1. There's no guarantee that the photo will be accepted as a daily source.
2. If accepted there's no way of knowing when the pic will come up as a daily.

As for having the unfair advantage of multiple angles I think Jerry put it best. In the end I will chop for whatever contests I have an idea for (and can get done in time) whether I took the pic or not. I will, however, ALWAYS let people know when I'm the person that took the picture.

I'm happy to see all the discussion. This just confirms that I'm not the only one who wonders about such things.

CHOP ON!

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 am   Reply with quote         

Sorry Jerry717, but I don't think a straight resize would show either. The editing one could do to the larger image would be better though, wouldn't it? If so, it would be (imo) an unfair advantage. But I do agree that a submitter shouldn't enter if the above holds true. I'm just a little too new at this to be sure. Sure makes for interesting table talk, though. Smile

Derivatix

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 am   Reply with quote         

I voted for "use the one you took" simply because I think it will not be possible to be controlled and will not make that great difference. As somebody said before, a higher resolution alone will not bring a lot of votes, if he or she doesn't have the ability with PS.

I think it's good that the submitter of the original is displayed. That helps if for example a picture is submitted and the author itself would post a "change of daylight" or so. Very Happy That of course would lead to the assumption that a new picture was taken of the same object at another time...

I for my opinion would prefer to play it fair. But as I mentioned above it can hardly be controlled. This poll here is interesting, but will not really have an effect, I guess.

Greets
Deri

jerry717

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

johndough wrote:
The editing one could do to the larger image would be better though, wouldn't it?

Not if you know what you are doing...

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

Eth-ics?
What is this eth-ics?
Can I get it at Wal-Mart?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Ethics on source photos? - Reply to topic