Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
"Logic" is the ability to think through causality and other relationships

Welcome to the fray Caf Smile Tell me, could the universe have both existed, and not existed, before there were humans around with the ‘ability to think’ about , and ‘share conclusions’ regarding, the law of non-contradiction?

HA! If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? and Politics beat me to it. Laughing And what does that have to do with anything except try to avoid my point wholesale?

You imply that logic is a man made endeavour in our ‘thinking process’ but that would imply that the law of non-contradiction (for example) could not exist before humans existed. If that were the case, then the universe both could have existed, and not existed at the same time and the same way before humans existed, reducing your view to absurdity. You see, from this position you would either have to believe that humans affected the nature of the entire universe, or that it STILL can exist or not exist at the same time and in the same way, meaning that you might exist or not exist, again reducing your position to absurdity.
cafn8d wrote:
Okay, so YOU need to invoke God because YOU assume logic is unchanging. I am assuming, based on your wording that you see "logic" solely as "logical conclusions"

Nope, the laws of logic. Do you believe that there are laws of logic and that they are unchanging?
cafn8d wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
Obviously, "God" is not a universal experience. ‘

No, but He is universally experienced, some just suppress the truth about that experience.

Only as your faith dictates. Other people may say that crediting God with everything suppresses the truth about human ingenuity, science, and other evidence etc.

Yip, and they can’t account for truth, logic, or our ability to do science either.
cafn8d wrote:
You postulate that there basically is no evidence without God. I maintain that truth is subjective. The glass can be half full AND half empty.

Those are not mutually exclusive, they are stating the same thing in different ways. Can the glass both be half full and entirely empty at the same time and in the same way?
cafn8d wrote:
When pressed for facts, you don't offer any outside of circular arguments around what you assume are facts (God and the Bible). These are not accepted as "facts" by everyone, and so you fail to persuade other people of your claims.

It is not my job to persuade anyone of anything. I am merely pointing out the folly of professed unbelief. The whole concept of ‘facts’ cannot be accounted for without logic, yet no one here is willing to give their flundations for logic, other than your inference that man made it.
cafn8d wrote:
And you refuse to accept any evidence (such as what has been referred to as "culture," "society," or "common human experience"), that is presented to you that is not one of those two (God or the Bible).

Again, I am merely pointing out the folly of suggesting that absolutes can be generated by any of the things you cite, or the folly of suggesting that they are not absolute.
cafn8d wrote:
You seem to completely discount what human experience IS collective, at least among those here. It is an unsatisfactory debate when, for lack of agreement for what constitutes "evidence," there winds up being NONE.

Well, tell me how human experience derives a universal, abstract, unchanging law?
cafn8d wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Please give an example of how a law of logic could be ‘formulated’ and ‘judged’ without presupposing the validity of logic.
"Without presupposing the validity of logic"? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

How can you come up with a law of logic, or judge a law of logic, without using logic?
cafn8d wrote:
I will offer the example that over time, our logic-based conclusions of the solar system have changed.

But we are not talking about the solar system, but the very laws of logic we employ in forming conclusions about it. The people who studied the solar system over time employed the same laws of logic we use today.

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:53 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
What you're asking is, how can we account for something as complex as universal, unchanging logic without an outside source having created it?

Nope, I’m asking how you make sense of the question according to your worldview.
badcop wrote:
You are content to say that god has always existed because the bible tells you so.

I am content to say that, but that is not my argument. My argument is that God has always existed, by the impossibility of the contrary.
badcop wrote:
But if we put the bible aside (because you're not using it as proof), then the more simple answer would be that logic has simply existed for eternity. Occam's razor.

Occam's razor states that one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything, however, the simple theory must be able to account for or explain what needs explaining. It's not enough to have a simpler theory if you can't account for anything. Though we shouldn't add entities beyond what's needed, we also should not subtract entities beyond what's needed. ~ Paul Manata

Are you willing to admit that it is your position that logic has always existed?
badcop wrote:
I have nothing against you believing the bible, we just know it doesn't exactly count as scientific proof.

Problem is, all of science is based on induction or ‘the uniformity of nature,’ which is yet another thing that cannot be accounted for outside of God.
badcop wrote:
Now Canuck...This very well may be the point at which you decide to concede. I know you don't want to lose face or damage your pride so I'm going to devise a code. If, at any time from now on you write the words "logic", "unchanging", "presuppose", or "immaterial", I will know that you are telling me you've see the error in your thinking.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Priceless!!! Lets wait until you admit that your explanation for the laws of logic is that they have always existed first . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Tarmac wrote:
Canuck , Its painfully obvious to anyone. Arc was simply typing too fast and dropped three letters ("tro") in the word 'introductory'. For you to capitalize on his misspelling and miss the point, (i.e. pushing a pseudoscience as propaganda), discredits you even more.

"as long as it IS scientific and NOT introductory???"

Well, if you think that this makes more sense, I hope you don't have a urine test coming up at work. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Deflection from the main point (i.e. pushing a pseudoscience as propaganda) only proves just how empty and round robin your arguments truly are. It only closes the case, that you really have nothing to prove or say at all.

But please, do continue though. That is, you have every right to conflict and waste the time of all who would listen to you. I'm sure there are plenty more here that might enjoy listening to hollow noise.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing That’s the point. You need to borrow the foundations of logic from MY worldview, to argue against MY worldview.

Well, no I didn't need to, but yes, that's exactly what I just did. Successfully, I might add.
Yes, you did need to, cause you can’t account for logic according to YOUR worldview. How do you account for the laws of logic from which you base the conclusion that what you did was ‘successful?’
PotHed wrote:
Exactly. Wow, you're being very dense right now... more dense than usual. You showed them the folly of doubting absolute truths without using God to support the validity of absolute truths.

That’s riiiiiight. THEN I demonstrated why God must be presupposed in order for absolutes to make sense.
PotHed wrote:
First of all, you're admitting flat out that your argument is based on the lack of arguments to the contrary as opposed to standing as a logically valid argument on its own, so again: The burden of proof is on you.

That is a stand alone argument. It’s called a transcendental argument. It would be like me positting that 2 + 2 = 4 (in base 10 mathematics) by the impossibility of the contrary, and you saying “The burden of proof is on you to show that the answer is NOT 5, 9, 32, or penguin.” Sorry, that’s not how it works. If you want to prove that they answer to 2 + 2 (in base 10 mathematics) is anything other than 4, or that logic has any other basis than God, the burden is on YOU! Quite simply, you use logic, but cannot account for it.
PotHed wrote:
[Second, watch this:
Absolute truths exist.
The non-existence of God is necessary for absolute truths to exist.
Therefore, God does not exist.

The difference, of course, being that I have shown how universal, abstract, invariants make sense WITH God, and you have yet to show us how they make sense APART from God.

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Tarmac wrote:
Deflection from the main point (i.e. pushing a pseudoscience as propaganda) only proves just how empty and round robin your arguments truly are.

And how did you account for the laws of logic on which you based your conclusion? Oh wait, you didn't. Wink

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Yes, you did need to, cause you can’t account for logic according to YOUR worldview. How do you account for the laws of logic from which you base the conclusion that what you did was ‘successful?’

I believe the laws of logic exist because of the law of non-contradiction. If I DID NOT believe in logic, then I actually WOULD believe in logic because if contradictions were allowed in my world view then so would that one.

And 'round and 'round we go!

Quote:
That is a stand alone argument. It’s called a transcendental argument. It would be like me positting that 2 + 2 = 4 (in base 10 mathematics) by the impossibility of the contrary, and you saying “The burden of proof is on you to show that the answer is NOT 5, 9, 32, or penguin.” Sorry, that’s not how it works. If you want to prove that they answer to 2 + 2 (in base 10 mathematics) is anything other than 4, or that logic has any other basis than God, the burden is on YOU! Quite simply, you use logic, but cannot account for it.

"God is necessary for absolute truths to exist" is not self-evident. Not even close.

Quote:
PotHed wrote:
Second, watch this:
Absolute truths exist.
The non-existence of God is necessary for absolute truths to exist.
Therefore, God does not exist.

The difference, of course, being that I have shown how universal, abstract, invariants make sense WITH God, and you have yet to show us how they make sense APART from God.

No, the difference is that I have shown how universal, abstract, invariants make sense WITHOUT God, and you have yet to show us how they make sense WITH God.

PotHed

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
The Story of Two Brick Walls

Said one brick wall to the other: I am steadfast and immovable! I am a brick wall!

Said the other brick wall: What makes you think you're so strong?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 pm   Reply with quote         

The logic in this thread is why Spock drank....off camera, of course.

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 pm   Reply with quote         

In my worldview, this is some universally funny stuff right here!

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
I believe the laws of logic exist because of the law of non-contradiction.

So, you believe that the laws of logic exist, because of a law of logic. ‘nuff said.

Cheers

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck is an abend.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

PotHed

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
PotHed wrote:
I believe the laws of logic exist because of the law of non-contradiction.

So, you believe that the laws of logic exist, because of a law of logic. ‘nuff said.

Cheers

[color=red]Edit: You know what? Forget it. You clearly didn't want to respond to your own method of debate being used against you, so why should I even bother?[/color]

Tarmac

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 pm   Reply with quote         

God cannot be the answer to things that do not otherwise have an answer.

In Medieval times, God was the answer for quite a lot of things. Slowly, the idea of science was introduced and as it turns out, God wasn't the answer to many questions.

Perhaps there are many questions that we currently do not have the answers to. It would be premature to declare, "I do not know the answer to this question. God is therefore the answer."

Just because people here cannot currently describe the mechanism behind the advancement of logic does not mean that there is no such mechanism. Making that assumption limits advancement.

The question of "Why does Mathematics always work perfectly?" is actually fairly common amongst mathematicians. The answer is not currently completely known. This does not mean that there is no answer other than God.

You have closed your mind to the idea that God isn't the answer by always saying that God is the answer. It has led to circular banter. I, for one, am tired of circular banter.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 pm   Reply with quote         

rharrington31 wrote:
God cannot be the answer to things that do not otherwise have an answer.

Interesting. That is not my argument but, why not, and how do you know?
rharrington31 wrote:
The question of "Why does Mathematics always work perfectly?" is actually fairly common amongst mathematicians. The answer is not currently completely known. This does not mean that there is no answer other than God.

In the words of Dr. Greg Bahnsen: “That’s the problem with atheists, you live on faith.”
rharrington31 wrote:
You have closed your mind to the idea that God isn't the answer by always saying that God is the answer. It has led to circular banter. I, for one, am tired of circular banter.

Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening a mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid. ~ G.K. Chesterton

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.