Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Personal Stats on Homepage - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:14 pm   Reply with quote         

There will be a similar feature going in that spot, but not exactly like before. I didnt deem it required for the re-launch.

marcoballistic wrote:
I know its been said that nothing else is going to be altered now, but I'll stick this up anyway.

I really liked the personal stats in the top left in the old version of PSC. Its a bit of a mission to get to them now. Well kind of.

But I noticed there is a gaping hole in the lower right of the new home page, is this for a future upgrade, or could the stats maybe go there..... just an idea.

(straps atomic proof hat on and prepares for the Armogeddon of responses)

Very Happy

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Good thoughts, but here are the primary reasons why I did this (and am not changing it) are:

* highlight the artwork of the site and not the source images

* incentive to win (the site needed/needs much more of this in general) ie - if you win, your artwork gets to be the most prominent image on the entire site for a whole day.

* When the image changes the other items in that column move up or down. Keeping it the same all day keeps the continuity of the home page in tact for users jumping between the index and content.

* It is my personal preference Wink

ScionShade wrote:

I really thought the idea of the BIG picture being whatever
image is the current leader in that days opening contest was a good idea.
It'd be dynamic and change as different images take the lead spot ..AND by that same definition will always be GOOD looking images.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm   Reply with quote         

one of the toys has been dropped in there now, notice the My Acive Entries. You can use this to keep track of what you have going on, entry wise. Of course, the new votes and comments will still be right above, when they exist.

marcoballistic wrote:
I know its been said that nothing else is going to be altered now, but I'll stick this up anyway.

I really liked the personal stats in the top left in the old version of PSC. Its a bit of a mission to get to them now. Well kind of.

But I noticed there is a gaping hole in the lower right of the new home page, is this for a future upgrade, or could the stats maybe go there..... just an idea.

(straps atomic proof hat on and prepares for the Armogeddon of responses)

Very Happy

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, great points JMH. I agree with that now. Do you think it'd be possible to include just a couple of pixels worth of white buffer space between the three small source pics down at the bottom? It's kind of weird looking at them when they're all right next to each other like that. Not a big deal at all, just thought it might look nicer, and for people unfamiliar with PSC, would define the three images as separate; some might think it's one big pic or something, I dunno.

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

oh, jeez! just noticed you already did! wow. well, thanks, thats exactly what I wanted, you must've read my mind earlier.

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

sorry, that column is at it max and I dont want to re-size all of the source thumbs just for that spot. I knew it would be a little tight though.

mason4300 wrote:
Ok, great points JMH. I agree with that now. Do you think it'd be possible to include just a couple of pixels worth of white buffer space between the three small source pics down at the bottom? It's kind of weird looking at them when they're all right next to each other like that. Not a big deal at all, just thought it might look nicer, and for people unfamiliar with PSC, would define the three images as separate; some might think it's one big pic or something, I dunno.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

cool, glad it works, I hadn't tested that one yet.
mason4300 wrote:
oh, jeez! just noticed you already did! wow. well, thanks, thats exactly what I wanted, you must've read my mind earlier.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:14 pm   Reply with quote         

woo hoo great little addition, saves me roaming around all open comps to see whats what....now I just need my stats back Very Happy

dropping toys in is fun Laughing

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't know if you understood what I was talking about, it mainly looks like a bunch of rambling (as it usually does). Anyway, for me, at least, the three open contest images near the bottom of the main page had been right next to each other, with no space between them. Now, they do. I don't know if this is something you changed, or if it had just loaded up wrong or something. anyway, it looks right now.

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I didn't change anything. I would bet that you are using firefox, sometimes it renders pages faster than it reads them (or something like that) and a refresh fixes it. I notice in other browsers too, but much more in firefox. A small trade off though.

And, I was hoping to have even more space than there is inbetween them, hence my earlier response.

mason4300 wrote:
I don't know if you understood what I was talking about, it mainly looks like a bunch of rambling (as it usually does). Anyway, for me, at least, the three open contest images near the bottom of the main page had been right next to each other, with no space between them. Now, they do. I don't know if this is something you changed, or if it had just loaded up wrong or something. anyway, it looks right now.

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:44 pm   Reply with quote         

that's what I suspected. Ok, thats fine, though, the amount of space between them is fine with me, much better than none at all. Very Happy

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
they represent how many new (votes/comments)

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
To stay on this subject, kind of; the home page has the "New Votes and Comments" window, what do the #'s after your post's in (parenthesis) mean?

I figured that's what it was supposed to mean, but the #'s make no sense at all, at least the one's on mine don't Rolling Eyes

ScionShade

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:

* incentive to win (the site needed/needs much more of this in general) ie - if you win, your artwork gets to be the most prominent image on the entire site for a whole day.

Actually..that's pretty stinkin' excellent. I not only like it,
I think yer RIGHT!

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Latest Winner looks/reads a lot better than Yesterday"s Winner, anyone notice?

ScionShade

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

AH! It really does..seeing "yesterday's" made me feel like I got here late. Razz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Personal Stats on Homepage - Reply to topic