Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Once Again - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

dunno

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi Mr. Tofu, thumbs up. I find it a good attitude you describe there. But i get also the idea: We are currently out of experts, pro's and ideas anyway. A group of 'starters' arrived and is making their way now. Right? If so, then its good of course, i find it always good to see new people and their work.

erdaest e.g., welcome to PSC! I find your approach really great and hope you will learn a lot here and have winners in a row. I think Scion is right when he encourages everyone to go on, because we will naturally all become better and make it one day to the top. The questions is, where is the top, how far do you have to go for that? That leads to Pauls reaction again...

Paul, there are prizes out now and i see indeed differences. The quality of entries seems over all higher, and also the voting seems accordingly (maybe because of the anonymous voting). For 'normal' contests i don't see that. I don't doubt that most people put effort in their entries, but how it turns out is not what it could be. So, prizes are motivation, true. The skills of active choppers may differ over time, also true. Still i would like to see more of the "good" stuff. It helped me a lot to see what is possible and where the real limits are. It is also necessary to sharpen one's eyes, which brings me to the other point:

How are the entries rated, voted, judged (how ever you wanna call that)? I saw pictures on the first pages (even winning) which i would not have expected there. And there were others in the row who would have earned those places, imho. So besides the skills for making a chop it seems to me that the skill of judging needs also some fine tuning. To put it in other words, occasionally i am amazed with what the people are satisfied. I'll repeat myself: i am not able to deliver top quality, but i am able to recognize it - and to judge accordingly. So what i'm kind of asking for, is to work not only on the own skills/techniques but on the "critical view" as well.

centurius

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 pm   Reply with quote         

100% WITH U Mikey

mikey wrote:
I think there are a lot of new people here these days that are learning" after a while they will get really good, also it gets harder and harder to please the World because seen that, been there, done that takes over" :roll: This is a place of many skill levels, just have fun and keep learning, after all" Who in the World do you think you are? a superstar?...well right you are!! ~ :D 8)

[/quote]

EJH

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:33 pm   Reply with quote         

dunno wrote:
Still i would like to see more of the "good" stuff.

i am not able to deliver top quality, but i am able to recognize it - and to judge accordingly.

You hear that, people?
Come on! Dance, monkeys, dance!
Impress him!
Inspire him!
He wants to love you, you're just not letting him.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

I remember you and your work, Dunno. I respect what you're saying, and respect you for saying it.

Right now, there are a lot of newcomers. Some will want to improve and excel and some will wander off.

So much has to do w/ the source too. Some days I'm overwhelmed by the quality of work. Nice touch that JMH has allowed us to choose sources (see Advantage). Also very interesting how many of us agree on one particular source.

Anyway, I'm glad you've stopped in and hope you stay awhile! Very Happy

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:23 am   Reply with quote         

Dunno, maybe the way you came across early on seemed a bit harsh, and maybe my reaction was in your face, but all in all I hope this thread opens up some eye's for everyone to work harder on their chops, the prizes do offer some incentive to do better, the whole change on the way votes/artist are hidden from view, it sure changes the dynamics of the same old, same old, makes it a little more interesting, I've noticed more entries and more detail, did you ever check out the work on Micose day?

http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/1710/range-fence.html?o=votes

That was a good example of the true talent that is here, it's amazing how the style of one Frenchman, infected the minds of so many, I'm talking about Pepe La Pew,

Actually Dunno, what you did was put a lot of pressure on yourself, and I like that, it shows me that maybe you can inspire the peeps to work harder, by putting this Burdon upon you, we're all going to put you under the microscope, and only after you win one for the gipper, will we say "Damn! My chop was better than his!"
All I can say is I hope your choppin now, lol Very Happy

dunno

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

centurius wrote:
100% WITH U Mikey

mikey wrote:
I think there are a lot of new people here these days that are learning" after a while they will get really good, also it gets harder and harder to please the World because seen that, been there, done that takes over" Rolling Eyes This is a place of many skill levels, just have fun and keep learning, after all" Who in the World do you think you are? a superstar?...well right you are!! ~ Very Happy Cool

You are both right guys, it surely is like that. Still it seems to me that people sometimes could need a little "kick in the ars", telling them that they can do better. I mean that in the most positive way possible! I do see a lot of talents, yet i am sure they are ready for more.
Its a hard job to tell that, i noticed, because i have to make clear that i am not blaming anybody for their work. Neither it was my intention to let the monkeys dance...
Hi EJH Smile
You say there something... Somehow it seems even right. I really really wanna love all the people here. Well, actually i do. Cool
But i hear your sarcasm and it tells me again that my "motion" could be picked up wrong. Sure i would like to be impressed by posts, who doesn't? But i didn't start this thread for my own pleasure. I try to open some eyes and maybe carry some people further, to a level which i prolly never reach.

So, Paul, i guess you put it right. I realize well that i put pressure on my back, but with the side effect (i hope) that people get or stay critical - about their own work, as well as about others work. If the people can tell me what is all wrong with my pics, i think then they are on a good way Very Happy
And yes, i was chopping and again reached my limits. Great idea (so i think) and no skills to do it. But i will try further...

[crawls back in his cave, grabs his chisel and starts hammering...]

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked What the...
Is this thread worth my time reading or should I just go on assumption what it's actually about and post a rant... Question

ReyRey

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Rant away!

ReinMan

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

It sucks to be ALL of YOU!

Razz

ReyRey

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing @Rein
We're not worthy!! Bow Bow

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Once Again - Reply to topic