Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - PSC Voting Discussion - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fempie

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:18 am   Reply with quote         

ok Smile

fempie

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:27 am   Reply with quote         

mixing a large audience and better quality/less cheating is quite tough hehehe

if you let the public vote , there should be some kind of voting guidelines, which most people including you would hate.

ten posts minimum doesn't mean much imo.What about a minimum of 100 votes to be able to vote ?

what about a system like "hotornot"'s, which negative marks?

dewking

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 am   Reply with quote         

Alternate public voting system 2: the public can rate an image (1-10), these ratings would be a new sorting option, and used to break a tie.

I like this one the best, however, this may not really allow the public to feel any more "welcome" since their votes would only matter if there was a tie, which isn't an overly common thing. It happens, but not an everyday thing.

If there was a way to make absolutely sure that people couldnt cheat, (email 100 of their friends for votes, etc..) then I'd go with that choice.

Perhaps if the prize contests were separate, that could work. After all, if a normal contest has a "buttcode" entry that wins with 100 votes, its a little upsetting, but in the end, it is just for fun.

So... I'm probably no help. Smile

Oh... and bring back the old chat!

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
TheShaman

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

I dont like the idea of joe q public being able to vote the same way we do. like fempie said... theres gonna be some problems with cheating, and vote whoring your friends to boost an image. and wes had a good point too about I think a rating system is too much like a couple of the other Photoshop sites and would be a bad idea.......it would throw in the fact that people would rate everything low except their own, which would result in having to weight peoples votes like those worthless sites.
I think it takes away from what we as users of the site enjoy. maybe a seperate system designed for non-users? something only for the public, that does not effect what we as PSC members do.

like JMH had suggested; a public rate this image 1 - 10 seems ok.

and this would just show us how well our images are being recieved by this public sector, that we as normal users of the site, don't normally hear from, but having it effect what is already a good thing, I am not for.

just my 3¢

another thing thats relevant
I found this site one day looking for a tutorial, I saw the contests, and I joined that day so that I could participate in what I thought was the coolest website ever. being able to show off abilities, and learning tricks from others. thats what makes this site great though... not the votes.

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:34 am   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:

Don't change anything: Let the site continue to scare away 9 out of 10 people that visit.
Thanks,
jmh

I agree with this! lol

I do know that I was playing around at a different site and I was soooooo frustrated, because the guy who runs the site is sooooooooo controling that his system is set up with 1-10 vote power and he tells you that you have to vote between the 4 or the 6 vote power or you are not doing it right and the system drains your vote power.

He also tells you what the vote means ie if you vote a 5 he explains what that means..

If you vote a 10 cause it's a good picture you lose voting power because the system thinks you are being in accurate.

No offense to anyone elses site, but I love the fact that you aren't a control freak.

Just like when you added the different ways you can vote.

It was locked in so you had to pick and then you backed off so that people didn't have to unless they wanted to.

I say you've changed so much already that let things settle down a bit.

Besides.. Maybe we can get a write up in That Photoshopping magazine.

The site looks very professional and ready to take on the world!

Thanks for all you do!

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
another thing thats relevant
I found this site one day looking for a tutorial, I saw the contests, and I joined that day so that I could participate in what I thought was the coolest website ever. being able to show off abilities, and learning tricks from others. thats what makes this site great though... not the votes.

(exaxct)Same here! Wink

http://www.shmugle.com

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

OK...Rating system for John Q. Public...
I like that...

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

Here's a possible idea If you want to get the public involved and make a little money too maybe.......Allow the public to submit starting images for a certain fee.

I can imagine there are people that would love to see themself a friend, a certain object or location chopped...even business owners might want their product or company logo chopped. Of couse you would have to set up a review of the photos to make sure they are acceptable quality first.

Then maybe allow that paying submitted the ability to vote in that contest they submitted for only.

Whatcha think about that idear?

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:49 am   Reply with quote         

I'd hate to say this, but if you made it open voting where guests have as much say as members, I know there'd be 50 people voting for my entries and pretty much ignoring other entries. I'm sure some of other people on this site have a big backing too.

Changing over to a rating system might be the best idea, but you'd have to go talk to your arch enemy over at Worth to figure out the fairest way to implement it.

Patre

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:51 am   Reply with quote         

All interesting ideas!
Some other suggestions:
1. Allow a nonregistered person an introductory "gift" 5 votes which they can use over and over again in any and all contests.

2. If the person decides to register as a site member, grant him/her a bonus 2 votes for every image that they submit up
to a 10 image limit. Eventually, assuming they submitted 10 images, they would be able to use 25 votes in every contest.

3. As a tie breaker, create a category titled "best of show".
Normally, the very best chops are rewarded with the most votes even in the nonanonymous contests. So, if voters were asked to choose one image that was "best of show'", the image with the most "best of show" votes would be awarded first place in the event of a tie. This category would not be available for voter viewing unless two or more images were tied for first place at the conclusion of a contest.

4. There will probably always be ways to "cheat" the system. but my hunch is that most people will play fair and abide by the rules.

5. In the interest of attracting more public involvement in the site, different participation levels could be created with winners designated at each level. For example: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced,Professional etc. I realize that such a site scheme would be an ambitiously difficult undertaking. Just deciding how to define each category i.e. who is a novice ( a person with less than 100 images submitted?-that wouldn't have worked for billtvshow) would be a logistical nightmare.
Although I realize the scope of and work involved in developing such a project, I think that it creates the kind of site experience that attracts new members. People will become involved with site activities, if they like the idea of photoshopping etc. as a form of artistic involvement, and if they believe that their work will be appreciated with the level of skill they bring to the site contests.

Finally,jmh, I want to say thank-you to you for using your personal time to develop a hobby interest that really enriches and benefits the lives of many people in ways that probably reach far beyond their/our enthusiastic and fun participation in the daily site contests.

samuelb

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

Patre wrote:
Allow a nonregistered person an introductory "gift" 5 votes which they can use over and over again in any and all contests.

If that was possible I could vote unlimmited times on my self. Anyone in possession of an ip cloak could do that.

it won't work

Patre

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Samuel B, maybe I am being way too naive about the proclivities people have for engaging in dishonest behavior. But my hunch is that most people would respect and honor the rules and would have no "real" incentive for cheating the system. There would probably not be enough personal gain involved with cheating the system to make it a worthwhile endeavor for most people.
However,jmh could probably supply some data which would either validate my naivete' or suggest that your point of view is the more accurate one.

nevet

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
Don't change anything: Let the site continue to scare away 9 out of 10 people that visit.

i think that if you let the public vote the value of a vote would drop.
what makes it so good to get votes is that they are comming from talented people that really know what they are looking at and how much effort was put into it, not just that its pretty....

just my thoughts....

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I say either leave it alone, or trial the 1-10 rating system to split draws etc, giving full rights will just cause mayhem and destruction

samuelb

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Patre wrote:
Samuel B, maybe I am being way too naive about the proclivities people have for engaging in dishonest behavior. But my hunch is that most people would respect and honor the rules and would have no "real" incentive for cheating the system. There would probably not be enough personal gain involved with cheating the system to make it a worthwhile endeavor for most people.
However,jmh could probably supply some data which would either validate my naivete' or suggest that your point of view is the more accurate one.

hopefully people WILL respect and honor the rules. But just the idea... it will make the voting mean less... but maybe I'm wrong. i don't have much experience with these kind of things.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - PSC Voting Discussion - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.