Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - ~ New Voting System? ~ - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blue_lurker

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Well I know thsi is gunna upaet soem people but well it is a contest and it aint broke so why fix it...I looked at the last 10 winners and the top 5 in those contests and well they deserved to be there...just my opinion... Confused

dumbat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
I wish we'd go back to the 15 vote per persons..25 is too much...
those using 25 on a regular basis, and there are quite a few...
well....a lot of them aint using them cause they actually liked 25 pics.

i'd second that

an argument against lower number of votes is that inexperienced newbies might get put off by getting no votes. perhaps if people are more willing to give constructive criticism, this wouldn't be such a bad thing. is there a way to encourage people to leave criticism?

nifft

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:59 pm   Reply with quote         

maybe we can vote having 25 pts (for example), giving at least 2 or 3 pts per image.

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:21 pm   Reply with quote         

dumbat wrote:
perhaps if people are more willing to give constructive criticism, this wouldn't be such a bad thing. is there a way to encourage people to leave criticism?

hmm...an idea popped into my head, that probably wouldn't work, unless someone came up with an idea to make it cheat-proof.

the idea is, maybe, for every...say, 15-20 comments you leave on posts, you get one vote added to your chop in that contest...(If you have two, it would automatically go to either the entry with the highest, or lowest number of votes, depending on what everyone would want)

Now, I know this is not going to fly, but I figured I'd suggest it, as some people can come up with something brilliant from a mediocre idea. It would definately get people to leave comments! The main flaw would be people just posting random crap in comments to get an extra vote or two. there would have to be some sort of way to prevent this.

blue_lurker

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey I post random crap in comments all the bloody time... Laughing

oregongal

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:33 pm   Reply with quote         

I was an admin on another very good site, but small in membership. I can tell you vote ranking is a real burnout for site admins. My experience:
1. Entries are all anonymous from entry till end of voting, except for admins.
2. There was a ranking poll on each entry, along with a comment area.
3. The entrant could NOT vote on their own entry.
4. Lowballing to enhance your own vote was a real problem, to be followed up with an email and pm warning, more than three a ban.
5. Registration by same users with different user names came, voted on their own and left, not to be seen again (till discovered). That meant checking IP addresses, when a trend began. More pms and emails
6. Then there were the Classroom people who discovered the site. One or two would enter and classmates would vote 10s on those and 1s on everyone else. More pms and emails.
7. Members and admins or mods alike were able to flag comments, posts, or entries if they did not follow rules for that contest. More pms and emails.

With this many entries (at PSC) you'd need 50 admins to keep it accurate and clean. Those that qualify as admins stop entering because they are so busy with the management end they flat out get tired, especially if we have "another" life, which we all do, and it can be really deflating dealing with the "cheaters" all the time.

Two rules that were very good were:
1. You must vote on all other entries if you enter that contest. (remember this is a small site), or your image was disqualified.
2. If you voted (and didn't enter the contest) you must vote on all entries.

These two above wouldn't suit PSC, but just threw it in to complete the picture.

Well, you can see, this rank voting can be and is a site nightmare, for those behind the scenes, and it can begin to affect your attitude as an admin over time.

I usually don't yak like this, but..........I did Embarassed

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Very Happy

TheShaman

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

dumbat wrote:
{quote="ScionShade"}I wish we'd go back to the 15 vote per persons..25 is too much...those using 25 on a regular basis, and there are quite a few...
well....a lot of them aint using them cause they actually liked 25 pics.

i'd second that
an argument against lower number of votes is that inexperienced newbies might get put off by getting no votes. perhaps if people are more willing to give constructive criticism, this wouldn't be such a bad thing. is there a way to encourage people to leave criticism?

I'll third
and what about a radio button? you know when you write comment.. you have the choice of public or non?

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Pubic?...PUBIC!?!?!?!?
TAKE IT EASY!
AND NOBODY BUT NOBODY WANTS NON-PUBIC!!!!!!

Sassy

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

heeheee Scion said Pubic Laughing Shocked

ScionShade wrote:
Pubic?...PUBIC!?!?!?!?
TAKE IT EASY!
AND NOBODY BUT NOBODY WANTS NON-PUBIC!!!!!!

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:14 am   Reply with quote         

simply put, 1 - 10 sucks, and can be abused way to easily

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:05 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
simply put, 1 - 10 sucks, and can be abused way to easily

I think not, you can only vote 1 - 10 once per entry...but like most peeps here, I don't favor the idea. Even if you do have good intentions on not leaving anyone out by rating them say... 5 + per entry...thus "supposedly" not leaving anyone out, it'll have a great effect on the overall score....likewise, for contests with 100 + entries, are you gonna be bothered to rate each and everyone?

Personally, I usually ain't bothered in voting for an entry I see unless it's really really good or it's a contest that I have entered...

So the 1 - 10 rating system, is good to break ties (where the original tie breaker was the entry that came first) that's all... and an overall look on how your entry is rated outside the members (voting one's YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! Wink ) of PSC...

Well that's all for my RANT! Razz Twisted Evil Very Happy

marcoballistic

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:30 am   Reply with quote         

I wasn't meaning it was a bunch of ass overall Dave, its fine for deciding draws.

I was reffering to changing the voting system from votes to the 1-10 system....which would suck diddly-uck Very Happy

ScionShade

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 am   Reply with quote         

I think it's a great idea if the rating each person gives is posted along with their name right there.
Anyone saying if it aint broke, don't fix it is riding on flat tires.

marcoballistic

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

well consider me to have 4 flats Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - ~ New Voting System? ~ - Reply to topic