Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

creatrix

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
not fossilized trees, petrified trees Smile
fossilized trees are called coal,

Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the wood. The petrifaction process occurs underground, when wood becomes buried under sediment and is initially preserved due to a lack of oxygen. Mineral-rich water flowing through the sediment deposits minerals in the plant's cells and as the plant's lignin and cellulose decay away, a stone mould forms in its place.

Elements such as manganese, iron and copper in the water/mud during the petrification process give petrified wood a variety of color ranges. Pure quartz crystals are colorless, but when contaminants are added to the process the crystals take on a yellow, red or other tint.

Bow

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:55 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="Canuck <º)))>'Knowledge' is not an answer to the question.

Sye[/quote]

True. But it´s the key to get them. And as you stated before, you have no knowledge to base yer theory other than faith and self-deception, what preety much is useless for the matter.

And if you pay attention on yer answer, for me, gort or whoever, you keep avoid questions, and denying our statements with foolish new questions.

Therefore, I won´t spend any more time arguing with someone that doesn´t actually want to get to a conclusion or acquire new knowledge. If ya wanna keep talking sye, I suggest you answer our questions first.

Later

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:18 pm   Reply with quote         

damn... Did i scare ya people?

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Canuck <º)))><

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
]And as you stated before, you have no knowledge to base yer theory other than faith and self-deception, what preety much is useless for the matter.
Um no, I claim to have knowledge by and through revelation from God. It is my claim that God reveals some things to us in such a way that we can be certain of them. Now, you may disagree with that claim, but it IS a claim to certainty, I just want to know, what is your claim? If you do not have a claim to certainty, then anything YOU claim to know is on 'blind faith and self-deception. If you do have a claim to certainty, let us know what it is, so we can compare.
arcaico wrote:
]And if you pay attention on yer answer, for me, gort or whoever, you keep avoid questions,
The only question you asked me was that bizarre scenario about taking pictures from space, I did not address it because it was stated in a non-response to my question as to how you know that the future will be like the past. I demonstrated that you proceed on this assumption, but you have yet to tell us on what basis you do so.

If you care to clarify your 'pictures from space' question and tell me how it fits in with the argument, I will address it.

Cheers,

Sye

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
Who's a professed atheist? I'm an agnostic with theistic leanings.
I never said you were, it was a general statement, still, neither position is tenable.
creatrix wrote:
Numbers don't lie.
Numbers don’t do anything, it is our interpretation of them that is the key. On what basis do you assume that your reasoning about numbers is valid?
creatrix wrote:
If the results are correct
Problem is, if you can’t know that your reasoning is reliable, you can’t know what is ‘correct.’
creatrix wrote:
So even if we can't define God, such an entity should be able to be proven to exist simply by virtue of it's effects upon the universe around it.
Such as the universal, abstract, invariant laws of logic, which you appear to be appealing to. How do you account for them?
creatrix wrote:
IMHO, we should not be looking for God through a telescope, but a microscope.
IMHO we should be submitting to what we already know.
creatrix wrote:
Good and evil, then, can only be responsibly characterized by their effects upon the world.
Good an evil are meaningless terms without an absolute standard (i.e. God).
creatrix wrote:
So which are you asserting is in accordance with the character of God?

God is good.
creatrix wrote:
Actually, we *do* have a reason to believe the future will be the same: it always has been.
Nope, that’s a reason to believe that it HAS been the same, not that it WILL BE.
creatrix wrote:
So we can PREDICT with relative certainty that it will be as it has always been.

Nope, without FIRST assuming that nature is uniform, you cannot predict with ANY degree of certainty what the future will be like. Again, what is the basis for this assumption? (And, again, I’m not asking about the past, I’m asking about the future).
creatrix wrote:
And guess what: that prediction is always true.

HAS BEEN true, not IS true.
creatrix wrote:
When it fails, then we will have to start over, but for now we will work with what we have, as it seems to work quite well.
Only because you assume that nature is uniform, and when you do this, you borrow the justification from MY worldview.
creatrix wrote:
So what does the theist have that the non-theist lacks? They, too, believe fire will burn the same, only they attribute this to an arbitrary whim of God?

Nope, we believe in a God who controls nature in such a way that we can ‘subdue’ it. This would not be possible if nature were random.
creatrix wrote:
you must conceed that that variety, over billions of years, would result in speciation

I would ask ‘why?’ but I am more concerned with how you know that the reasoning you used to come to this conclusion is valid?

Cheers,

Sye

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:17 am   Reply with quote         

Truthfully, this is becoming too convoluted. There is certainly more evidence that fire will burn today as it did yesterday than there is that it will not. We have only our experience to draw on when we attempt to define reality.

As for revelations from God, I reassert that there is no proof that such an entity exists, and before we discuss revelations, you must prove that it does. The idea that blind faith in an entity with no quantifiable evidence to support it is somehow on a level playing field with our perception of reality is, quite simply, ludicrous and I believe you are well aware of this.

Have revelations from God enabled you to see how to defeat a disease? How to build a car? How to irrigate land? It is observation of the physical world and that allows us to innovate. You say God enables scientists to make discoveries, and that may well be, but unless Jonas Salk was an illiterate itinerate who dreamed up the polio vaccine, then I suspect human observation of the physical world had a LOT to do with it. And although we assume that things will continue to be as the always have been, we have no evidence to suggest it will not, so to predicate our understanding of reality upon such a notion would do NOTHING but stifle human potential.

You say I cannot predict with certainty? here we go: The sun WILL rise tomorrow (meaning the earth will continue to revolve around the sun, giving us the illusion of sun rise). I say it with certainty. If I am wrong, I will admit that my method is not sound, but all available data suggests I am right. And while philosophically, I may have no basis for making the prediction, the fact that it proves to be accurate day after day after day gives it an air of reliability that you method lacks.

BTW, arcaico's lens scenario was not bizarre at all: it was a perfect example of how our understanding of the universe changes as we learn more.

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:02 am   Reply with quote         

1. Evry thing, being, human being is a whole thing
2. This whole thing isnt a thing...its not composed of materialof sthg but of movement of infinitity (u can go always bigger or smaller without limits, so what is sthg?
3. This movement, this continuity is God, or Soul or Spirit whatever its name is...it doesn't have a beard....

Each time u think, u create material....invisble material...God being the sum up of all this.
Quantic physics can explain God for sseveral recent years.... and dont think its not spiritual matter that i m talking about here...on the contrary...the physicians taht explore these theories are good christian and were bored with all those oppositions (science/religions, religion/religion , nature/spirituality...etc)
all this...spirituality, flesh,particules work in the same Time and Time isn't time...its movement....etc...etc....
...Explains a lot.... mediums'power to miracles,collapsing phiysical facts (here i dont even understand myself lol..) that u hardly notice....

PS: this text of mine would much more accurate in french sorry
creatrix

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
1. Evry thing, being, human being is a whole thing
2. This whole thing isnt composed of material but of movement
3. This movement, this continuity is God, or Soul or Spirit whatever its name is...it doesn't have a beard....

Each time u think, u create material....invisble material...God being the sum up of all this.
Quantic physics can explain God for sseveral recent years.... and dont think its not spiritual matter that i m talking about here...on the contrary...the physicians taht explore these theories are good christian and were bored with all those oppositions (science/religions, religion/religion , nature/spirituality...etc)
all this...spirituality, flesh,particules work in the same Time and Time isn't time...its movement....etc...etc....
...Explains a lot.... from mediums'power to miracles, thru evryday collapsing phiysical facts (here i dont even understand myself lol..) that u hardly notice....

PS: this text of mine would much more accurate in french sorry

YES, YES, YES!!!!

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

This thread stopped fast yesterday... Shocked ...i thought maybe.. the Jehova Witnesses showed up knocking at the door.... Confused

Micose

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

i edited it a bit.. and i think im gonna edit it again and again...u know...the movement....lol

cults are the 0 degree of the appreciation of what is God
these things were born with the first civilzations guys....
its time to think higher now/// an d be responsible!

but if u choosed a cult thats right, as long as u FEEL. Cuz when u dont Feel anymore, that becomes dangerous.
Just try to use abit of ur unused 90% natural gifts (evbdy has them) and u will soon be surprised....like facing miracles....

creatrix

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
i edited it a bit.. and i think im gonna edit it again and again...u know...the movement....lol

knowledge is fluid. Wink

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am   Reply with quote         

Wow, Micose... I've never seen anyone write anything so close to my own ideas before. It's pretty cool. Cool

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
This thread stopped fast yesterday... Shocked ...i thought maybe.. the Jehova Witnesses showed up knocking at the door.... Confused

LOL... They did. We were all pretending not to be home. Laughing

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
Wow, Micose... I've never seen anyone write anything so close to my own ideas before. It's pretty cool. Cool

Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.