Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Micose wrote:
1. Evry thing, being, human being is a whole thing
2. This whole thing isnt a thing...its not composed of materialof sthg but of movement of infinitity (u can go always bigger or smaller without limits, so what is sthg?
3. This movement, this continuity is God, or Soul or Spirit whatever its name is...it doesn't have a beard....

Right!! Smile
I don't call it God, Soul, Spirit or Energy. I call it Life.

For when we cease to worship God, we do not worship nothing, we worship anything.
~ G. K. Chesterton

When we make up our own gods it is not called 'life,' it's called 'idolatry.''

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
For when we cease to worship God, we do not worship nothing, we worship anything.
~ G. K. Chesterton

When we make up our own gods it is not called 'life,' it's called 'idolatry.''

Maybe it's my bad English... anyway I think I understand what you tried to say, but for me it has no meaning.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 pm   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
There is certainly more evidence that fire will burn today as it did yesterday than there is that it will not. We have only our experience to draw on when we attempt to define reality.

No, there is only evidence (not that you can account for understanding of it), that fire HAS burned, not that it WILL burn. How do you know about the future?
creatrix wrote:
As for revelations from God, I reassert that there is no proof that such an entity exists, and before we discuss revelations, you must prove that it does.

No, I simply submit my claim as to how it is possible for me to know anything, you submit yours, and we compare them.
creatrix wrote:
The idea that blind faith in an entity with no quantifiable evidence to support it is somehow on a level playing field with our perception of reality is, quite simply, ludicrous and I believe you are well aware of this.

This is ‘question begging.’ If God exists, then every one of your thoughts and experiences is evidence for His existence. The laws of logic, for example, are universal, abstract, and invariant, all characteristics which can be accounted for in the nature of God. In order to make sense out of your perceptions, intelligibility is required. How do you account for the universal, abstract, invariant laws of logic? You see, when you use these laws without justification, it is you who proceeds on blind faith.
creatrix wrote:
Have revelations from God enabled you to see how to defeat a disease? How to build a car? How to irrigate land? It is observation of the physical world and that allows us to innovate.
Revelation from God is the only way to account for intelligibility, science, and knowledge, all of which are necessary for any achievement. God grants us the ability to make achievements, I have never denied this, I simply ask how you account for them.
creatrix wrote:
You say I cannot predict with certainty? here we go: The sun WILL rise tomorrow (meaning the earth will continue to revolve around the sun, giving us the illusion of sun rise). I say it with certainty. If I am wrong, I will admit that my method is not sound, but all available data suggests I am right.

You are stating a ‘belief’ not a certainty. Certain knowledge must be true, beliefs can be false. You may doubt this, but if you do, kindly provide an example of certain knowledge which is false.
creatrix wrote:
And while philosophically, I may have no basis for making the prediction, the fact that it proves to be accurate day after day after day gives it an air of reliability that you method lacks.

Problem is, the very assumption that the future will be like the past, borrows from MY worldview. Saying ‘the future will be like the past (or even probably be like the past), because the future has always been like the past in the past, is visciously circular.
creatrix wrote:
BTW, arcaico's lens scenario was not bizarre at all: it was a perfect example of how our understanding of the universe changes as we learn more.

I do not deny this, my point is that his worldview cannot account for ‘understanding’ to begin with.

Cheers,

Sye

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:06 am   Reply with quote         

damn sye... you wrote a novel worth of replies. Laughing

creatrix

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

oops - duplicate

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 am   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
[quote="Canuck <º)))><]
creatrix wrote:
You say I cannot predict with certainty? here we go: The sun WILL rise tomorrow (meaning the earth will continue to revolve around the sun, giving us the illusion of sun rise). I say it with certainty. If I am wrong, I will admit that my method is not sound, but all available data suggests I am right.

You are stating a ‘belief’ not a certainty. Certain knowledge must be true, beliefs can be false. You may doubt this, but if you do, kindly provide an example of certain knowledge which is false.

The sun is up. It was true, wasn't it? Shall we try again? I once again, with my keen Creskineque mental powers, predict with certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
The sun is up. It was true, wasn't it? Shall we try again? I once again, with my keen Creskineque mental powers, predict with certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow.

I do not argue that some predictions do not come true, my question is, on what basis do you make this prediction? What you fail to see, is that when you make such a prediction, you borrow the basis for that prediction, from MY worldview.

Cheers,

Sye

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
creatrix wrote:

I do not argue that some predictions do not come true, my question is, on what basis do you make this prediction? What you fail to see, is that when you make such a prediction, you borrow the basis for that prediction, from MY worldview.

Cheers,

Sye

I make the prediction based on the accumulation of evidence suggesting that it always has been true, and while it may not always be true, I have more evidence to suggest it is true and no evidence to suggest it is false. In fact, in asserting that known "facts" are uncertain and could change in an instant with new information presented - in asserting that just because it always has been doesn't mean it always will be - you, my friend, are borrowing from MY worldview. Unless you can find the Aristotelian logic scripturally delineated. A static universe is s BIBLICAL concept, not a scientific one. Remember "As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end"?

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

jesus died for the good of mankind, so did this thread

Hallcross Toots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.