Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - A question for the PSC developers - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

bigbuck

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

....if they're still active.

Many boards/forums around the web have an 'ignore user' funtion. This 'ignore list' means that posts by persons added to that list are not seen at all.
It's a great option for dealing with trolls.
How difficult would it be to code for PSC? Could it be applied to contests as well as the forums?
At the click of a button a nominated user simply disappears from view. No forum posts, no entries, no votes and no comments would be seen.
Could solve a few problems around here of late?

dumbat

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

good idea Cool

and can you also code it to automatically ignore any other users who use the same IP address?

annajon

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:35 pm   Reply with quote         

This takes the biscuit, Bigbuck!!!

I have suggested in a past forum that we were allowed to make our own discretion on comments given on our entries. So, if you give me a comment, I read that comment and then I click a button making that comment public.

And then I was given hell, because I could not handle criticism and I should take the good with the bad.

What you are suggesting is to totally BAN a person who has signed in on the site, or maybe even payed to be here. That could never be a good thing.

I still think it would be possible to have the individual chance to make comments public or not public, at the entry creators discretion.

That way we at least all have personal choice back.

The way it goes now, we don't have personal choice, we are stuck with the comments we get, and we stay imbarresed by them as long as the site is open.

dumbat

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:38 pm   Reply with quote         

anna i think the idea was to just filter out an annoying user as far as the ignorer was concerned. other people could still see this person's comments if they hadn't also ignored the offending user

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:40 pm   Reply with quote         

hey wait! do you know how many people would phase me out? Laughing

cafn8d

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Dumbat is right, Anna. Only the person who chose to add a poster to his/her ignore list would find that poster "invisible." All other people (who were NOT ignoring that poster as well) would be able to see that poster's comments as normal.

Grefix, is your PSCQuickBar still available for download? I have it installed, and it includes that very feature. I don't happen to use it, but it's there.

Edit: here's the link I have for it: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/8368/

Lot of very useful tools there. Smile

bigbuck

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
What you are suggesting is to totally BAN a person who has signed in on the site, or maybe even payed to be here. That could never be a good thing.

It's not a 'ban' thing Anna. It would be a setting in my 'user control panel'. I could choose to turn off Dumbat (for example Wink )
Then I would simply never see anything from him again. No posts, no entries, no votes, no comments. To me, he would simply not exist, while everybody else could still see him...if they wanted to.

Get it?

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:54 pm   Reply with quote         

grefix wrote a Greasemonkey script that has an "ignore user" function. You'd need Firefox and the Greasemonkey plugin though.

bigbuck

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 am   Reply with quote         

It'd still be nice to have as a board feature for use with any browser.

nevet

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:01 am   Reply with quote         

what if that person voted for you? would you still get the vote? Hmmm

Oscar

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:28 am   Reply with quote         

nevet wrote:
what if that person voted for you? would you still get the vote? Hmmm

I think not... you want to ignore him but want his/hers vote? hahaha

Ok i'm done Smile

dewdew

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:22 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
hey wait! do you know how many people would phase me out? Laughing

I'm going with PVS on this one.....hell.....i already get locked out of threads...all by myself.....i don't need any help from the Peanut Gallery. Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 am   Reply with quote         

I suppose this would depend on what you wanted to be able to ignore from the person. At it's core it's just another table in the database holding the ID's of the person(s) you want to ignore.

If you wanted to just not get PMs from the person that would be simple. When you retrieve your inbox the script would compare the sender's ID to your ignore list and act accordingly to auto delete the PM (although simply deleting them on your own is easier and faster to implement).

If you wanted to not see their comments on chops and/or forum threads that could be done the same way. All the script would do is match the comments to the author and if the author is on your "ignore" list the comments would be replaced with "...". However this would not work if someone quoted the person you were ignoring. For that there would have to be a parsing function to extract the quotes. Even then it would only work if the quote was properly formed (BBCode wise).

The downside of this is that it would add server overhead as the pages are parsed before being served to your browser. If there's a lot of ignoring going on it could, possibly, slow things down for everyone.

ReinMan

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

I lOVE this idea. Let everyone else deal with Blue Lurker!

To me, he's dead. DEAD, I TELL YOU!!! Mad

(*runs off crying*) Crying or Very sad

(seriously - I think this is a good feature Wink)

creatrix

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 am   Reply with quote         

I like the idea, too... but if it really would increase overhead that much it may not be worth it. I mean, some people here already struggle with the advantage membership. I'd rather us deal with troll than lose longstanding members.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - A question for the PSC developers - Reply to topic