Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - Tips N Tricks 3: Reflections - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MindGraph

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

so far all I'm learning in this is new bad words...hahahaha. Ok I've been examining spheres for the last hour now and thought I'd give one a try. Would appreciate criticism before I tell what I did plus I have to remember it all since I tend to get lost in experimentation. One thing to me that I noticed is that the outside part of the reflection seems to pinch instead of what I've always tried to do which is "sphere" it. But in the middle it seems to sphere so I tried something to that effect plus a hundred other things but this is what I started with

and this is my finished product. Again I would appreciate some criticism on this and if it's likable I'll try and make a tut.

funny part was I kept looking for a sphere to build into and in the end I never needed one. Just made it all out of the above pic.

dumbat

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 am   Reply with quote         

MindGraph wrote:
that's pretty impressive Very Happy

blue_lurker

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am   Reply with quote         

thats sweet as Mg, how the hell did you make the ball, the best I got so far is this

Now I gots me a sphere all I need to do is make a room and then reflect in it

blue_lurker

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 am   Reply with quote         

So mg ya saying create the room then make it into a sphere...but what if your room has all the sides involved, like a open ended box.

You know top, bottom, two sides and an end...with...the sphere inside it?

Huh...lol...try that one cause Im failing big time tryin to reproduce that Laughing Laughing

MindGraph

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

thanks! That will be another challenge for another day BL...hahaha On mine there was no sphere to build off of. Just did a marquee circle and did a paste into of the bedroom. I'll make some type of tutorial of it tomorrow at work...gettin sleepy but once I did that I scaled it till it was a little bigger than the circle. Then I think I did a filter/distort/pinch of about 50% and then bloated the middle part in liquefy. Keep playin in those areas and I'll see if I can put something together. This is my first attempt so it's a lot of trial and error on mine till I got that. Oh...play with the hue/saturation to get the chrome look on it.
Thanks again and play!
Wink

MindGraph

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:09 am   Reply with quote         

just thought of a couple other things. Used lens flare in the obvious lens flare area and then at the top of the sphere I made another circle marquee the size of the ball and did a white to transparent gradient from top to 2/3 of the way down. Then I transform/scaled it up/in and down to position it toward the top to make it look sphere like and then ran a gaussian blur on it to soften it...about 4.
Ok..nitey nite and make pretty reflections while I sleep so I have something to look at when I'm having my morning coffee.

yello_piggy

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:51 am   Reply with quote         

nice yellapigy but is that a PS or a photo

dewdew

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

I am not sure what exactly your looking for....but i thought i would try it.

blue_lurker

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok here it is, I'm asking you...yes you guys out there in PSC, if you can achieve this effect with ps. Making a reflection with a photo or an image is fine and lots of tuts in regards to that but what I'm trying to achieve is for this effect. (Sorry for the quick diagram)

I just wondered what the reflection would look like with 5 different surfaces to be reflected, the 5th being the front, or what the ball would be facing. Now before you go into written explanations and all the tech stuff, Im asking can you achieve this in just photoshop, not photos. Ok here is a quick attempt of what I mean, and yes I know its all wrong and the reflections not right and the planks are different and all the other stuff that's wrong with it, its just a learning idea people not a critique.

I have no reason for this other than to learn and hopefully others will learn as well

blue_lurker

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:11 pm   Reply with quote         

bump

MindGraph

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:43 am   Reply with quote         

it's a great thread. I got real busy yesterday so wasn't able to do much but I did play around at lunch a little but nothing worth posting. I was trying to take the image that I was trying to make into the reflection and split it into sections and do different effects to each section based off what their position is. Still in progress..... Doh! Actuall this is an interesting thread and if anyone throws a good sphere reflection into a contest you better believe I'm going to vote for them....hahaha Laughing

cafn8d

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:36 pm   Reply with quote         

This really is a great thread and I've enjoyed reading the discussion... still can't get anywhere on my reflections, though. It's a tough one, all right! (Except for those of you who know how to do it... SO TELL US ALREADY! Wink)

cafn8d

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:31 pm   Reply with quote         

you know the formula of a sphere, exponential deformation, iow the closer to the sphere's outside the object is the more its reflection is deformed, following the exponential curve of a sphere, which you can picture as the quarter of a circle outline.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - Tips N Tricks 3: Reflections - Reply to topic