Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Realism - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

When you vote, how important is realism?

Realism

71%

71%

[ 20 ]

Escapism

28%

28%

[ 8 ]

Total Votes: 28

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

It really depends on the subject of the picture.

For example if it is a clean-up then it better be as realistic as possible, since the whole point is to make people do a double-take and wonder how the hell you took that old rusty car and made it look brand new.

However in some cases the idea of the picture is to evoke an emotion or represent a state of mind. In this case realism would be very out of place.

I think the reason a very realistic pieces get alot of votes is that its very easy to look at them and think "wow I can't believe that isn't real, a ton of work went into this" In other words, the technical prowess is redily apparent.

I still think the more emotional/surreal/expressive works get alot of love here. Just look at Micose's profile, hes had more than a few wins.

nunosk8

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:38 am   Reply with quote         

nunosk8

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:38 am   Reply with quote         

I usually vote in realism, because the more realistic it is more we can see the skills of the person. If the work is more creative we can see things that do not make sense to us, and say that's bad/is just a couple of filters... something like that Razz but who did it can always say that it is on purpose. Its my opinion Wink

Of course we can always see if the creative work is good or not, but...

cheers

Oscar

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

We are so used to seeing things the way they are our eyes are fixed, but when we see new things, options develop. Escapism.

mellowdesign

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Hmmm... I think for me I lean towards realism (=quality). It can be an evocative or surreal image...but it's how it's done... and I guess it's whatever makes me 'tick'... but I'll prob not vote for something experimental unless I think it's worked - or a quality attempt... humour is also a big 'draw' for me, pardon the pun...(just see some of my hilarious attempts at trying to chop!!!!! Laughing )

I'm not that excited by blood n guts but hopefully I look past the 'subject' in those cases to the overall effect/rendering. I'm also not overawed by an image that just has a plug-in or filter effect over it...I like something that seems thought about.

Since I came across this site several days ago, I am aware that I am trying styles that I maybe normally wouldn't want to or be able to work with - so it's great to have that freedom...

I guess it always comes down to personal opinion but I'm guessing that a bad chop will always get less votes than a good chop...so there's always incentive to improve!

Very Happy

supak0ma

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

VillageBicycle wrote:
When you vote, how important is realism?

Put aside the idea, quality and skill involved, etc ...
now if you were voting on two similar chops of a tree, one is very realistic and the other is cartoony or Heavy Metal-ish but has a nice stylistic theme, would you lean towards realism or escapism?

if it is realistic, then there's quality and skill involved, sometimes these chops lack ideas, sometimes.

ScionShade

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:

if it is realistic, then there's quality and skill involved, sometimes these chops lack ideas, sometimes.

Which is a HUGE "OK" in my book. I personally enjoy these kinds of chops a great, great deal, and I also do not usually expect them to be winners, nor even come close to being winners, but to those who do these chops,
I thank you. They are a great pleasure to see for me. I love the craftsmanship.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Realism - Reply to topic