Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - IN MEMORIAM ADRIAN SUDBURY (fka Baldy's Blog Forwarded) - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Thu May 22, 2008 7:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I have assisted in my share of bone marrow taps. I don't mind being tested. The perfect time to do a tap though is when they have me out for the count during a EGD/colon procedure.. yeah you don't feel or know a thing. That would be something.. offer people free colon/stomach/esophagus checks and in turn you get a bone marrow specimen. Somebody should shove this idea thru. Very Happy

cafn8d

Post Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Did ya' have to say "shove thru" in relation to colon/stomach/esophagus checks? Razz Laughing Wink

ReyRey

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
I have assisted in my share of bone marrow taps. I don't mind being tested. The perfect time to do a tap though is when they have me out for the count during a EGD/colon procedure.. yeah you don't feel or know a thing. That would be something.. offer people free colon/stomach/esophagus checks and in turn you get a bone marrow specimen. Somebody should shove this idea thru. Very Happy

That's the thing. You don't need to give bone marrow. Just blood.
That is how they do it now. Wink

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I know Rey I said tested I don't mind. I am a nurse. I don't think you read the part that stated test vs the tap. Tap meaning when you are matched they have to draw off the marrow. That is when you get your colon done. Did you even read my reply? lol Bad Rey read read read. Laughing

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
manic_d wrote:

That's the thing. You don't need to give bone marrow. Just blood.
That is how they do it now. Wink

Comon I want some details. I don't understand what you mean.
If yer a match what do they do? Do they tap yer bones for marrow or what?

annajon

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, here is what the MAYO clinic has on Bone Marrow Donation through STEM CELL donation. This is the painless method ReyRey keeps telling you about. In short, below is the procedure. It requires:
5 daily injections in as many days before FILTERING your blood, this is called through aphareces.

Incidently, this is a method of donating blood that is used in lots of countries as well, for people who donate a part of their blood that is used for plasma and platelets donation. (read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_donation - check the sidebare for translations in your language!!!)

Bone marrow donation: What to expect when you donate
Learn what to expect during bone marrow stem cell donation. Traditionally, bone marrow donation required surgery. A newer, less complicated procedure can obtain stem cells from your bloodstream.
If a family member is sick and in need of a bone marrow transplant, you might be interested in helping your loved one. One option may be bone marrow donation.

Bone marrow is a spongy material found inside your bones. The bone marrow contains immature stem cells, which can develop into three different types of blood cells:

Red blood cells to carry oxygen to your body
Platelets to help your blood clot, when needed
White blood cells to help fight infection
It is the stem cells in your bone marrow that can benefit the transplant recipient.

In the past, donation of stem cells from bone marrow involved minor surgery to draw marrow from your hipbones. Stems cells were then collected from the donated marrow. Today the most common way of collecting the stem cells is by filtering them directly from your blood. Doctors call this procedure peripheral blood stem cell donation, but many people still refer to it as bone marrow donation, even though bone marrow isn't directly involved.

Who is bone marrow stem cell donation for?
You may be able to donate your bone marrow stem cells if you're in good health and doctors determine that you're a match for the person who needs a bone marrow stem cell transplant.

Doctors compare the characteristics of the stem cells in your bone marrow to those of the potential recipient to see if the proteins in your cells are similar. A close match increases the chances that the recipient's body will accept your bone marrow cells. Doctors can test your stem cells by examining a small sample of your blood. Your full brothers and sisters are the best match for your bone marrow.

If your bone marrow appears to be a suitable match for the person waiting for a transplant, you'll undergo an examination to ensure that your bone marrow can be transplanted. The doctor will want to rule out any genetic or infectious diseases you might have, since these can be passed on to the bone marrow recipient. The doctor also asks questions about your general health and your family health history to determine whether bone marrow donation will be safe for you.

How do you prepare for bone marrow stem cell donation?
Before you can donate your bone marrow, doctors give you injections of a medication to draw the blood stem cells out from your bone marrow and into your bloodstream. That way they can be easily filtered from your blood.

The medication, filgrastim (Neupogen), is typically given as an injection once a day for four or five days before your bone marrow stem cell donation. Doctors will monitor your blood counts to see how your body is reacting to the filgrastim. They'll also be looking to see if you have an optimal number of stem cells circulating in your blood.

How is bone marrow stem cell donation done?

During bone marrow stem cell donation, a machine collects your blood stem cells through a process called apheresis. Blood is drawn from your arm and runs through a machine that filters out the blood stem cells. Then your blood is returned to your body through your opposite arm.

Apheresis takes four to six hours. You'll typically undergo two to four apheresis sessions, depending on how many blood stem cells are needed.

What can you expect during bone marrow stem cell donation?
Removing blood stem cells from your blood during apheresis doesn't hurt. However, the medication you're given to coax the blood stem cells out of your marrow may cause bone pain — similar to the aches you might feel if you have the flu. On rare occasions the pain may be so severe that you might discontinue the injections. The bone pain goes away once you stop receiving the injections. Other common side effects are fatigue, headache, muscle pain, and tingling around the lips, mouth and fingers.

Risks of bone marrow stem cell donation
Bone marrow stem cell donation is generally safe. Side effects associated with bone marrow stem cell donation include:

Bone pain
Headache
Muscle pain
Fatigue
Insomnia
Nausea and flu-like symptoms
Sweating
Loss of appetite
Tingling
These side effects go away once you complete the bone marrow stem cell donation. If you have small veins in your arms or you have veins with thin walls, your doctor may need to insert a catheter into larger veins in your body — including those in your groin and your neck. This occurs most commonly in small women. Placing a catheter in your larger veins rarely causes side effects, but complications can include:

Air trapped between your lungs and your chest wall (pneumothorax)
Bleeding
Infection
Consider donating bone marrow stem cells to a stranger
Some people in need of a bone marrow stem cell transplant don't have any family members with compatible bone marrow. These people often turn to the National Marrow Donor Program to find a compatible donor. The donor program keeps a database of volunteers who are willing to donate their bone marrow to strangers.

Consider registering to be a donor so that you can help other people in need of a bone marrow stem cell transplant. Even if you weren't a match for your family member, you may be a match for a stranger. For more information on how to be a donor, contact the National Marrow Donor Program in your own country.

sage

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks, anna, very informative.

With all the people in the world, chances are, in my uneducated humble opinion, that there must be several matches for everyone, and that we should be able to eliminate the shit people like Rey are going through....no?

I realize it won't make people like Rey better looking or more liked, but atleast we won't have to listen to their incessant whining. That in itself is a good thing.

As mentioned before, I will give blood Tuesday and ask about becoming a donor.

Next stop...sperm bank, although I will need more info on procedures and possible benefits.

annajon

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 pm   Reply with quote         

By the way, only 8 million people worldwide are registered as bone marrow donors. In the UK alone there are 7000 people who wait for a suitable donor, and they are NOT a match to this world wide donor pool.

Now do you see why it is so very important that you at least REGISTER as a donor? The thing is, one day, when you could become a candidate, you will become a candidate together with at least 10 other people around the world - because only the CLOSEST matching candidate will be asked to be the final candidate.

But to get this close there will have to be at least 10 people to choose from.

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Im A- blood type

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 11:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I've got the rarest blood type in the world.
That aint what yer looking for is it Rey?

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

Maybe not ReyRey, but somebody else in the world might.... so it could never hurt to get tested.

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 3:24 am   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
Thanks, anna, very informative.

With all the people in the world, chances are, in my uneducated humble opinion, that there must be several matches for everyone, and that we should be able to eliminate the shit people like Rey are going through....no?

I realize it won't make people like Rey better looking or more liked, but atleast we won't have to listen to their incessant whining. That in itself is a good thing.

Next stop...sperm bank, although I will need more info on procedures and possible benefits.

great, and if you get information that may be good for publishing here, please bring it back.

Next stop...sperm bank, although I will need more info on procedures and possible benefits
.... benefits are that one day the pitter patter of tiny feet will walk onto your doorstep.

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 am   Reply with quote         

a cool 955 views sofar. wow.

but we will have to go for at least a few thousand more. So....

BUMP

Hug

ScionShade

Post Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
ScionShade wrote:

Maybe not ReyRey, but somebody else in the world might.... so it could never hurt to get tested.

Have you Googled this? Plenty of information on the process of donation, and none that I can find that tells what they are looking for in a match.
I have no idea if they are looking to match a blood type, or other factors.
Are they checking for a series of points of match or is it just blood type alone? Are they excluding a person with smallpox antibodies from donating to someone who's never had it? Is this the kind of thing they're looking for? The ambiguity alarms me.

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 9:41 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
annajon wrote:
ScionShade wrote:

Have you Googled this? Plenty of information on the process of donation, and none that I can find that tells what they are looking for in a match.
I have no idea if they are looking to match a blood type, or other factors.
Are they checking for a series of points of match or is it just blood type alone? Are they excluding a person with smallpox antibodies from donating to someone who's never had it? Is this the kind of thing they're looking for? The ambiguity alarms me.

If this link, (a pdf file from the Australian bloodbank and donor registration) does not give enough information to ease your mind, I will look further. http://www.abmdr.org.au/pdf/dynamic_pages/3/41137496_ABMDRbrochure%20version%203.pdf

The second part of this page has the answer I think you were looking for.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - IN MEMORIAM ADRIAN SUDBURY (fka Baldy's Blog Forwarded) - Reply to topic