Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - IN MEMORIAM ADRIAN SUDBURY (fka Baldy's Blog Forwarded) - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri May 23, 2008 7:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm gonna ask a couple doctor friends of mine to see if they know anything about the marrow typing and specifics. Stay tuned.

Also I got in contact with the bone marrow donor organization and found that there's no program around here to organize the testing and registering of candidates. I was directed to contact a person that is an hour-and-a-half away from where I live. Confused

So I'm going to see about organizing a blood-drive/marrow typing event with them. Hopefully we'll get people willing to donate blood and then a sample can be taken to type them for bone marrow donation (voluntarily of course). Cool

I want to see if we can get educational materials there so that people will learn that they don't get "tapped" to be tested and registered and that bone taps are not as common in the donation process (it's now a blood recycler). Hopefully this will get some legs behind it. Very Happy

annajon

Post Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I'm gonna ask a couple doctor friends of mine to see if they know anything about the marrow typing and specifics. Stay tuned.

Also I got in contact with the bone marrow donor organization and found that there's no program around here to organize the testing and registering of candidates. I was directed to contact a person that is an hour-and-a-half away from where I live. Confused

So I'm going to see about organizing a blood-drive/marrow typing event with them. Hopefully we'll get people willing to donate blood and then a sample can be taken to type them for bone marrow donation (voluntarily of course). Cool

I want to see if we can get educational materials there so that people will learn that they don't get "tapped" to be tested and registered and that bone taps are not as common in the donation process (it's now a blood recycler). Hopefully this will get some legs behind it. Very Happy

Great Tofu! Make sure you get the right questionaires to use. Because any wouldbe donor has to be screened properly, in order to have a solid database.

annajon

Post Sat May 31, 2008 3:38 am   Reply with quote         

Look at that, we are mentioned on Baldies frontpage

mellowdesign

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey - sorry to hear you are sick Sad

I've been thinking about it for a while. But I'm now motivated to try and sign up to the Anthony Nolan Trust.

Best, m

ReyRey

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I am going for another bone Marrow sample tomorrow. (owwwwwwww!!!!) Hopefully, all the cells will be normal and we can say "I am in remission." Of course they make you wait weeks for the results and they tell you to relax and they will call you next week. Confused

Bone Marrow Sample = Small Asian lady with a cork screw drilling into your hip bone while you are awake. She has to twist this hand drill through the skin, fat , and muscle until she hits bone. She then takes a core sample. My bones are hard so she has to put her weight and muscles into it. (she is sweating when she is done) The last time, she was not strong enough to cut through the bone and she slipped with the drill 4 times. I told her to get a stool so she would be high enough to get some weight behind it. That one worked fine. I ended up with 5 holes in my back and hip which swelled up like a balloon. Walking a sitting was a lot of fun for a couple weeks. I can't wait to do it again! Very Happy Whoopie!! Laughing Laughing
Luckily, getting tested to be a donor is much easier. Just a little blood. Wink Now go do it you wimps!! Wink

annajon

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:57 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I am going for another bone Marrow sample tomorrow. (owwwwwwww!!!!) Hopefully, all the cells will be normal and we can say "I am in remission." Of course they make you wait weeks for the results and they tell you to relax and they will call you next week. Confused

Bone Marrow Sample = Small Asian lady with a cork screw drilling into your hip bone while you are awake. She has to twist this hand drill through the skin, fat , and muscle until she hits bone. She then takes a core sample. My bones are hard so she has to put her weight and muscles into it. (she is sweating when she is done) The last time, she was not strong enough to cut through the bone and she slipped with the drill 4 times. I told her to get a stool so she would be high enough to get some weight behind it. That one worked fine. I ended up with 5 holes in my back and hip which swelled up like a balloon. Walking a sitting was a lot of fun for a couple weeks. I can't wait to do it again! Very Happy Whoopie!! Laughing Laughing
Luckily, getting tested to be a donor is much easier. Just a little blood. Wink Now go do it you wimps!! Wink

Good luck ReyRey

cafn8d

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Best of luck, ReyRey! I really hope you are in remission AND STAY THERE!

Mr. Caf and I know what it's like to have to wait a long time for test results and get told to "relax" in the meantime. It's along the same lines as a medical person calling something a "minor" procedure or saying "this won't hurt a bit"--yeah, "minor" and "pain free" for them!! Rolling Eyes

As I said, best of luck!
Keep us updated when you can. Hug

mellowdesign

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, best of everything.

annajon

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:23 am   Reply with quote         

I just found out on the Dutch National Blood donor registration website, that

JUNE 14th is World Blood Donor Day.

ReyRey

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Update: The bone marrow tes was not as bad as the last time. I am just a little sore. I won't know the results for a while. While I was in there, they took blood too because I have been exhausted. Falling asleep while driving to work. Falling asleep at my desk. They said I am anemic now which is why I am exhausted. I have to take B12 shots now. Crying or Very sad They want to teach my wife how to give me needles. Shocked That sucks!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

mellowdesign

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Can't you just take B12 tablets??? Or do u need a special combo?

ReyRey

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 pm   Reply with quote         

mellowdesign wrote:

The b12 pills do not absorb into the body very well.

mellowdesign

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:05 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
mellowdesign wrote:

The b12 pills do not absorb into the body very well.

Oh really. Gosh. Do iron-rich foods help at all? Broccoli and the like? (I think it has iron in!!!)....

mikey

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Hang in there brother we love ya! Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - IN MEMORIAM ADRIAN SUDBURY (fka Baldy's Blog Forwarded) - Reply to topic