Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Please stop this Cringer8 - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Is this?

annoying

33%

33%

[ 12 ]

not annoying

66%

66%

[ 24 ]

Total Votes: 36

aman

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Why so serous?? scratch
Who is Cringer8 ???? Hmmm

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

In my opinion any critiques are welcome. Good or bad i don't care. At the end it's up to me will i improve my skills o not or listen to any suggestions. I like to hear other peoples opinions yada yada yada...Anyway, only thing about the comments that can affect someones rating is repeating them. For example someone gives you the vote and comment "shadows are bad" and next few votes are with comments like "I like this but shadows are bad","cool, but i agree with the shadow thing", "i wish i was the first that said shadows are bad". That could be annoying just a bit...not related to Cringrer8, or Irgum...okay I'm little off topic here Rolling Eyes

TheShaman

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
GuidedByPandas wrote:

Look, as TheShaman says, 'Art is subjective.'

even when I don't say it.. I say it! Laughing

at least people agree.

Cring. I'm kinda with TJ on this... before saying this needs major fixing.. see if you can make it better first.
Most of my 'critiques' I PM an example to the person I've suggested major changes to.

But what ever. If you wanna do this. I see no reason why you can't. Comments are there for a reason.
Be happy you didn't want to do this years ago when there were 24 preposts and about 30-40 regular entries.

Oh and I miss Patre. He was my favorite

I don't really agree with that standard for criticisms. I don't think a person needs to be able to do it better. With that process, few people would have the time to criticize, and I just want to know what doesn't look right. That's why I often show something I'm working on to my sisters, who have zero photo manipulation experience, but as people who have eyes and exist in this world, they can tell when things don't look right. The ability to execute is not a requirement for criticism.

Thats not what I was saying Werd... Just thats what I do when I think something needs extra TLC. I'll show the example to them in a PM and keep it more private. I agree... You don't need to have an art major to see when somethings wrong.

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:27 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
GuidedByPandas wrote:

Look, as TheShaman says, 'Art is subjective.'

even when I don't say it.. I say it! Laughing

at least people agree.

Cring. I'm kinda with TJ on this... before saying this needs major fixing.. see if you can make it better first.
Most of my 'critiques' I PM an example to the person I've suggested major changes to.

But what ever. If you wanna do this. I see no reason why you can't. Comments are there for a reason.
Be happy you didn't want to do this years ago when there were 24 preposts and about 30-40 regular entries.

Oh and I miss Patre. He was my favorite

I don't really agree with that standard for criticisms. I don't think a person needs to be able to do it better. With that process, few people would have the time to criticize, and I just want to know what doesn't look right. That's why I often show something I'm working on to my sisters, who have zero photo manipulation experience, but as people who have eyes and exist in this world, they can tell when things don't look right. The ability to execute is not a requirement for criticism.

Thats not what I was saying Werd... Just thats what I do when I think something needs extra TLC. I'll show the example to them in a PM and keep it more private. I agree... You don't need to have an art major to see when somethings wrong.

I realize you're just saying what you prefer to do, but this sentence is throwing that off. "...see if you can make it better first."

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 am   Reply with quote         

Hey, I'm damned proud of the guy for paying so much attention!

I've actually gone to sleep while voting....yup, it's true. Confused
It wasn't a pretty sight.

Tesore

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:10 am   Reply with quote         

Laredo wrote:
Hey, I'm damned proud of the guy for paying so much attention!

I've actually gone to sleep while voting....yup, it's true. Confused
It wasn't a pretty sight.

Wink

ReyRey

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

I like 'em Cool

the burning couch

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm   Reply with quote         

like 'em ,more than you.

*!*

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:

I realize you're just saying what you prefer to do, but this sentence is throwing that off. "...see if you can make it better first."

If I'm not mistake'n, that looks to be directed a Cringer, as in.."Cringer, see if you can make it better first".

*!*

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Cringer8...

*takes Cringer8 to one side*

...people spend a lot of their time on a work and as they mould and shape the once blank canvas into a product, that product becomes their baby.

Whether you like it or not, when you criticise a work, you are essentially telling them what is wrong with their baby, not a lot of people can swallow being told that their baby has a fault, let alone that their baby is ugly.

It is easy to get annoyed at a person for pointing out why something is wrong and it might be obvious to everybody but the person who has posted the material.

Have you ever looked at a sunny day outside a window for a while and then looked away only to see it's raster burned, temporarily, into your view?
The same happens with a work, it's a work blindness. A lot of people get it, either through frustration, impending deadlines or not knowing what to do next in order to make a work realised to a higher level. When a person spends so much time in front of a work, the errors seem to blend together and become harder to spot, until the persons mind tricks them into thinking that a face is balanced or that the horizon is level. It is at this point higher level artists employ techniques like rotating the entire canvas or changing the style of drawing, thinking in a new way or changing the state of play. Little tricks to shatter the monotony which misleads the eye.

That being said some people have a glass ceiling that cannot be broken through easily, possibly through lack of experience, techniques or even physical limitations and although harsh criticism can be helpful for those who want to improve, some people physically can't get better and some people don't want to get better. It is ultimately these people who will find ire with any criticism you level at their work.

So before you post another criticism, just remember.

It's their baby.

Time has been spent creating it.

All criticism is valuable but not all criticism is wanted.

Personally, I always picked the side of playing it straight, not the best way to make friends but people respect the fact that no matter how good the work is or how weighty the artist is, I don't compromise on telling it how I see it. If their baby is ugly, then that's what I will tell them.

cringer8

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
Cringer8...

*takes Cringer8 to one side*

...people spend a lot of their time on a work and as they mould and shape the once blank canvas into a product, that product becomes their baby.

Whether you like it or not, when you criticise a work, you are essentially telling them what is wrong with their baby, not a lot of people can swallow being told that their baby has a fault, let alone that their baby is ugly.

It is easy to get annoyed at a person for pointing out why something is wrong and it might be obvious to everybody but the person who has posted the material.

Have you ever looked at a sunny day outside a window for a while and then looked away only to see it's raster burned, temporarily, into your view?
The same happens with a work, it's a work blindness. A lot of people get it, either through frustration, impending deadlines or not knowing what to do next in order to make a work realised to a higher level. When a person spends so much time in front of a work, the errors seem to blend together and become harder to spot, until the persons mind tricks them into thinking that a face is balanced or that the horizon is level. It is at this point higher level artists employ techniques like rotating the entire canvas or changing the style of drawing, thinking in a new way or changing the state of play. Little tricks to shatter the monotony which misleads the eye.

That being said some people have a glass ceiling that cannot be broken through easily, possibly through lack of experience, techniques or even physical limitations and although harsh criticism can be helpful for those who want to improve, some people physically can't get better and some people don't want to get better. It is ultimately these people who will find ire with any criticism you level at their work.

So before you post another criticism, just remember.

It's their baby.

Time has been spent creating it.

All criticism is valuable but not all criticism is wanted.

Personally, I always picked the side of playing it straight, not the best way to make friends but people respect the fact that no matter how good the work is or how weighty the artist is, I don't compromise on telling it how I see it. If their baby is ugly, then that's what I will tell them.

I completely understand and agree. I do the same thing with my work. I put so much effort into it and think it's perfectly done, but it's a delusion. My mind erases the errors, because it knows how I wanted it to look. Things get warped. That is why I like when people point out the imperfections. It helps snap me back into reality. I am slowly weeding out the people who want and appreciate the same thing.

One trick I've learned to check my perspective is to flip the piece horizontally. It's like my whole world comes crashing down in on me. "Is it really that bad?" It's kind of like getting your hair perfect in the mirror, but then when you see a photograph of it, it looks completely different Laughing

I am trying to be more cautious in my critiques. I know people are usually very proud of what they have accomplished. Now I won't point out anything negative without first pointing out the positive. Every piece posted here has its redeeming qualities and every piece has its flaws. Hopefully people can realize and appreciate that I want to be a part of a community where we can all feel empowered to help one another become better.

If these works can be seen as babies, we should all remember it takes a village to raise a child.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:55 am   Reply with quote         

LOL
uh, cringer.
It's your turn to watch the kid....I'll be back in a week to pick 'm up! Laughing

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/165852/elements.html

cringer8

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 am   Reply with quote         

Laredo wrote:
LOL
uh, cringer.
It's your turn to watch the kid....I'll be back in a week to pick 'm up! Laughing

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/165852/elements.html

Laughing I'll do my best!

geerto

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 am   Reply with quote         

After reading all this, I'm getting mixed feelings. Should I now feel good or bad that I only had one comment from cringer ? Wink

ReyRey

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm   Reply with quote         

well......I did like him until he said he understood Marx-man. Confused Now I don't know what to think. Shocked Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Please stop this Cringer8 - Reply to topic