Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - unbiased voting idea - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lrossa

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm   Reply with quote         

ok i'm sorry i have to say it but......WHO CARES!

ok, i feel better now Twisted Evil

HandToolUK

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
Unless you're going to add something to the topic or are trying to derail it with wit or confrontation...

Well I'm glad you at least added that bit, or else there'd be nothing for people like ReinMan and myself to do on these threads... Wink

Now... STFU about anon/non-anon voting AND CHOP

...and...

STOP TOUCHING YOURSELVES damnit!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

ScionShade

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, for those keeping score, we have two seperate "cheat" problems right now.
One's not really a cheat, popularity voting, well,
it may get a bit unfair at times, but nothing you can do.
The other "cheat" which is a real hassle, and even
just this week got a guy a win even though he really had
several less votes than the second place entry--
easily fixed--I would gladly see that all posted images can not be
voted for by anyone with IP addresses in the same region of the world
from which the posted image was posted from.
that shouldn't hurt anyone.

scrolbar

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

What is this "voting" of which you speak?

mbrna

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:57 am   Reply with quote         

The solution to vote whoring is to level the playing field.
One easy way to do that would be to divide the total number
of votes an entry receives by the total number of contest wins
the entrant has (or '1', whichever is larger).

This technique has the effect of equalizing out the skill
of the repeat winners, and increasing the chances for a
person who hasn't won much but is improving (as evidenced
by the corresponding increase in votes (atta-boyz)).

So, if an entrant has won 20 contests in his/her lifetime
on psc, and their recent entry receives 100 votes - well
then that's really a score of 5.Pretty much the same as
a person who just did their first entry and got 5 votes.
Sounds tough, but everyone has to deal with the division
penalty so it is fair.

This has the effect of eliminating PM-whoring and
allowing newbies the chance to get a leg up based on
old-timers blessing their entries with "good-onya" votes.

To keep it up, vote whorers would need to continually increase
the PMs to keep pace with their added "wins". Not gonna happen
unless everyone starts getting aliases to support the whoring.
Membership would increase exponentially, and that would tip
off the mods.

After all, it should be harder and harder to keep up brilliant results.

Anyone?

mbrna

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:00 am   Reply with quote         

Of course, to be truly fair, the # of wins each person
has would need to be reset to 0 for the purposes of
the new scoring method. ie. "from this date forward"
kind of thing. No need to erase, or degrade past performances
by everyone. this would only be a scoring change.

m

Cambria

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:05 am   Reply with quote         

This is a very thought provoking topic. Blue's thought on improvement level is a good one. I also like voting for the stages people are at as well. I guess I hold different individuals at different standards. I also attempt to spread my votes out in catagories .. so that less experienced people can get votes for concepts and attempts. Not everyone can compete at the same level.. but the one thing we all can do is learn here. The learning process & tips from fellow members are what keep me coming back here. We have enough votes that we can sprinkle them out among chops of merit.

HTUK has some excellent points as well. I've only been here since May of 2005.. and so have never known what it was like to vote or post anonymously. Being able to get PM's from people here telling how we can improve chops is an added benefit. Many have taught me things to look for - fringing, mismatched shadows, etc. These are valuable things to learn. With an anonymous submission, I wouldn't get that. I prefer my chops being shredded in private (easier on the ego)... I like the opportunity to go and edit based on advice.

What does everyone think about a "INCOGNITO CHOP DAY" maybe once a month?Postings would be without names... I'm not sure how difficult that would be for JMH to work those into the stats. But, it might be an interesting experiment. I'd be curious to see how everyone ranked in those. I'm happy with how things are... sure some of it is based upon popularity but hey.. so is life. I'm still learning & being exposed to some gifted artists here and that makes it all worth while.

1337hax0r

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:55 am   Reply with quote         

a post from scrols!!! Shocked

it's nice to see that glock once again.

and i'm w/ lrossa...who cares....but i agree w/ showcase as well...
does that make sense? Confused

mikey

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Survival of the fittest Rolling Eyes

MoLinKo

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

This Voting idea will bring an end to all other voting ideas. I call it “MoLinko’s Voting Idea” or Molvi for short. Smile My solution to voting is both fair and balanced.

Instead of giving a simple plus or minus, a yes or no, an approve or disapprove, we give a grade. We determine the quality of the work and the idea and we select a score from one to ten. Along with the rating we can give feedback just like before or can give just a comment and no grade. The total grade will be the percentage of points awarded verses the total amount of people who graded.

So lets say that the lead entry had 50 people grade it. Half the people gave it a 10 and the other half 9. The total score for this entry would be a 95 (475/500). The top score anyone could get would be a 100, but would be very difficult, since there are many nitpickers amongst us.

Problems I believe this system would fix:

Friendly Voting/Whoring: Its one thing to vote for a bad entry, but to give a perfect 10 to a poorly done entry shows you are biased.

Late Entries: Late entries would have just as good of chance of getting a high rating as an early entry would (there would have to be a minimum amount of 10 grades in order for a person to win)

I believe this system would make it easier for everyone to be fairer. It provokes thought into the rating instead of a simple vote or no vote. Plus it gives people a chance to have a say when they don’t care for an over voted entry

Questions/Comments???

blue_lurker

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:12 pm   Reply with quote         

I beleive there is a more serious issue that needs to be resolved Mad "RIGHT NOW"
Lrossa what the hell have you done to your Avitar...god good girl have you know shame Shocked ...no go get them Boobies back...(Manass how dare she) Razz

Showcase

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 pm   Reply with quote         

MoLinKo wrote:
Problems I believe this system would fix...
Questions/Comments???

Quote:
Friendly Voting/Whoring: Its one thing to vote for a bad entry, but to give a perfect 10 to a poorly done entry shows you are biased.

I disagree. it will be a natural tendency to give your friend the highest score you can.

Quote:
Late Entries: Late entries would have just as good of chance of getting a high rating as an early entry would (there would have to be a minimum amount of 10 grades in order for a person to win)

again, I disagree. and what will prevent the late entry with two friends scoring 10 each and the entry that was in the lead for 2 and 1/2 days with 70 votes resulting in a 95?

The fact that the late entries just wont get the same exposure seem to make this just a way to boost the losers Wink

Quote:
I believe this system would make it easier for everyone to be fairer. It provokes thought into the rating instead of a simple vote or no vote. Plus it gives people a chance to have a say when they don’t care for an over voted entry

Voting or not voting is enough thought for most I think. With upwards of 70 contest entries needing this "extra" thought, many might not want to participate. Its tough enough already now deciding if a chop should get one of my coveted votes or not...now I have to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? I prefer having only to decided if its in the top 1/3 of the entries (assuming 25 votes to give for 75 images)...I dont know.

Molinko, you did well coming up with a different idea...well done and thanks for participating. I wonder what others think.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
MoLinKo wrote:
Problems I believe this system would fix...
Questions/Comments???

Quote:

I disagree. it will be a natural tendency to give your friend the highest score you can.

Uh...that's still being biased...Wink

Quote:
Quote:

again, I disagree. and what will prevent the late entry with two friends scoring 10 each and the entry that was in the lead for 2 and 1/2 days with 70 votes resulting in a 95?

You do seem to be correct about this, though. Get an alias, wait till the last minutes to post an image, then give yourself one 10 vote, and boom, you have a 100.

Interesting Idea, but would need some sort of safegaurd against that...

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:37 pm   Reply with quote         

In no way do I actually think this should be implemented. But it is an Idea I had, and I figured I would put it out there for discussion.

Quote:

It would, but it would be very transparent of you. If an entry had an average of 5 or below and you gave it a 10 then it would be fairly obvious that you are playing favorites. Of coarse it would be just as easy to give that person a 7 and everyone else a lower score than they deserved score in order for them to win.

It would be nice for those people who dislike some of the top overvoted entries. Right now all they can do is complain in the comment box. But with ratings they could give a low vote in order to drop the persons score.

Quote:
Get an alias, wait till the last minutes to post an image, then give yourself one 10 vote, and boom, you have a 100.

I thought of that, There would have to be a minimum amount of ratings in order for you to receive a score. (like 10 ratings) Of coarse, if a person really wanted to, he could create 10 alias and give himself 10 perfect 10s to win. But, also it would not take to long to figure out that person is cheating.

It's Just an Idea i haven't heard yet. I like the idea of being able to scroll through the entries and rate each one independently, instead of worrying who deserves the votes the most.

Thought I would put it out there for discussion.

couldb5150

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:00 pm   Reply with quote         

In my imaginarey (sp) worlD ...aka a perfect world ..I would like to see the voting protocal as follows

All submissions are anonymous
all votes and comments are anonymous....
(option)-- and I don'T know how hard this woud be for JMH
but after contest is over all anonimity is gone and choppers can see
what people really feel about their work and voters can be kept honest

yes I know this would be awkward for the "improvement" fan club...but personally i wouldn't mind waiting a couple days to get REAL,CANDOR AND VOTES I DESERVE AND COMMENTS THAT ARE CANDID AND CONCISE.....IN EXCHANGE FOR A FEW DAY WAITING PERIOD TO FIND OUT MY POST WAS CRAP !!!

IMO

ITS A SHAME ..WHEN I 1ST JOINED HERE OVER A YEAR AGO i THOUGHT IT WAS A PRETTY COOL SITE ...NOW ITS JUST A WHORING POPULARITY CONTEST......

...ITS ALL IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER RIGHT???..........WHATEVER!!!

COULDB5150

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - unbiased voting idea - Reply to topic