Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Advice for PSC newbies - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Lil_Flac_3

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I got a PM from someone asking a genuine question. After writing my response I thought it was something that I'd share with every other PSC "newbie" (not the same as a noob or n00b or you nubie Wink ). These were things I'd heard when I was a newer newb than I am now.

someone else wrote:
This guy ReyRey and others, did they like take classes on photoshop? I'm at the skillfully executed gallery and I'm superfied Shocked

There are several artists (known as "choppers") here whose skills put them in the category of "freaks of nature".Laughing

Many of these people are professional artists that use Photoshop on a daily basis. So yes they've usually had classes/training with Photoshop. They know their stuff and are the ones that will give you the best pointers and tips if you heed them.

Others, like me, are hobbyist choppers. But that doesn't mean we can't do well around here. If your idea for a chop is good enough, and you put enough effort into it, it will usually do well here (even if imperfect). Several of the most successful choppers around PSC did not start out as professional choppers.

Best bits of advice I can give are:

1. Never be too scared or intimidated to enter a contest. If you've got an idea then do it without regard to worrying about how it will do against other entries.

2. Don't get discouraged if your chop doesn't do as well as you think it should have. Late entries rarely ever do well as they just don't get the exposure that the other entries did. Think of PSC like school. You don't start out as a child expecting to get your PhD on the first day. Many of the really good artists here put their time in to learning outside of PSC.

3. Search for, read and DO tutorials on effects and techniques that interest you or are geared toward something you're trying to do in a chop. Learning by doing is the best (and fits well with item 1).

4. If you don't know how to do something ASK. There are some really great people around here and they'll help you. But you have to ask for the help first (usually). If they see that you're putting the effort in then they'll help. If you're looking for a free ride then you'll get ripped to pieces.

5. Don't "vote whore". Vote whoring is PM'ing people with messages like "please look at my entry" while the contest is open (or posting to the forums or chat with the same message while the contest is open). People don't like it. There are some who'll help you before a contest is open (once they get to know you). But if you want people to give feedback on your chop then put your own comments requesting such help with the chop itself. Some will give feedback and others won't. As an aside to this you can, in my opinion, solicit people to look at a chop AFTER the contest is over. Then there's nothing to gain but the advancement of your skills at that point.

6. Have fun. This actually has three parts. Used to be two but now it's three.
    6a. Take part in the forum "contests" that pop up. There's crazy fun chopping to be done in the forums (and Advantage chat if you pony up the money). Doing these chops can sometimes teach you skills you wouldn't have thought of doing a contest entry.
    6b. Remember that this place is ultimately a diversion from the real world. If you start taking it too seriously you're gonna just be a miserable grouch (and we do have a couple of those around here Wink ).
    6c. Before you bring up ideas to change the voting, change the contests, or change how the site works. PLEASE SEARCH THE FORUMS! We've talked about these things ad infinitum. If you have a truly original idea we're all ears. But if it's an idea that's been brought up before then you'll get eaten alive. This can interfere with 6c.

7. STFUAC. If you don't know what that means ask around.Laughing

This really speaks 2 me. ESPECIALLY since I cant figure out how 2 make it look like my picture has "horns" in her skin. exactly where would I post a "need help on design" thing at? its driving me crazy that I cant figure out how 2 do it. any help would defiantly help.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Lil_Flac_3 wrote:
This really speaks 2 me. ESPECIALLY since I cant figure out how 2 make it look like my picture has "horns" in her skin. exactly where would I post a "need help on design" thing at? its driving me crazy that I cant figure out how 2 do it. any help would defiantly help.
Try the Grab-a-Guru feature

Lil_Flac_3

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Try the Grab-a-Guru feature

Thanks

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:38 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
StoneDigidy wrote:
Preciate it Shaman, that's what i figured. But it seems like alot of these pics are done with something other than photoshop? Is that right?

Most people use Photoshop exclusively. ImageReady and Illustrator sometimes.... at one time a few used a program called GIMP... and still others try to use MS Paint Laughing

pretty much its up to you what programs you use.. its all about the photo manipulations.

good luck!
Sean

We Gimpers are still around- that coulda been stated better. Very Happy

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey , i want to participate in your ps contests..
but when i click the contest button it tells me i have to pay to play? am i going to the wrong section ?

or do i have to pay a membership fee to join in the contest?

Shocked Very Happy

YerPalAl

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Not at all. The only thing that is on a pay-for-use basis here is "advantage", you might have strayed into that section by mistake. Here is the page for today's contest with the important part circled. (not that other people's entries are unimportant, but . . . never mind)

Here you can download the source image to work on and up load your entry when ready.

Here are the answers to your any questions you may still have:

http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:05 pm   Reply with quote         

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh!

lol

i see,

THANK YOU-S!!!

Laughing Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Martrex

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 pm   Reply with quote         

I thought I would bring this to surface again for the newest newbies buzzing about. Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Advice for PSC newbies - Reply to topic