Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Talk about Music - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

the burning couch

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 pm   Reply with quote         

I've always thought that punk originated with "The Damned" or "The Stooges" but not the Ramones. The Ramones were to late on the scene to have been responsible for "punk" music.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:10 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah! Siouxsie & The Banshees. I know only the "Peepshow" album but it's really good.

Also an album I like is "Felt Mountain" from Goldfrapp... amazing beautiful songs!

I saw Yeah Yeah Yeah's, they made the first part before Björk's show... I prefered a lot
Björk on stage.

About something around punk, Nick Cave's "The Birthday Party" in the
early 80s was crazy!
Smile

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:11 pm   Reply with quote         

I like Goldfrapp, and I bet the Bjork show was great, as strange as her music is, I really like her, did you ever see Winona do her on Saturday Night Live? it was funny as shit Laughing

I found it! Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTOWPyDTnc8&mode=related&search=
Winona as Bjork on SNL Jeopardy

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Mmmm...Wi-no-na...............

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:39 pm   Reply with quote         

No I didn't see Winona Sad

Here's a picture from that show in August 03.
Also I liked a lot when she was with The Sugarcubes...

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
No I didn't see Winona Sad

Here's a picture from that show in August 03.
Also I liked a lot when she was with The Sugarcubes...

Tell me you took this shot Claf Shocked Killer picture!

A good friend of mine turned me onto Birthday from the Sugarcubes when it first came out, and I've been a fan ever since Razz

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 pm   Reply with quote         

No, I didn't take that picture... it's from Björk website.
Here's the best picture I took:
I had only a very cheap old Olympus...

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Any FURS fans?

New Wave, was just around the corner from punk, and I'd say New Wave, was a little less violent, Smile and better too, Smile the Psychedelic Furs carried the torch for sure, I saw them in Gusman Cultural Center in Miami, the place is like a small church inside, and the best place in the world to witness anyone play, Cool I can't say what Richard Butler did besides sing that night...(I'll get into that later Rolling Eyes seen a lot of good shows there...)
The furs "All of this and nothing" featuring "Heartbreak beat" , "Ghost in you" , "Sister Europe", "Imitation Of Christ" to name a few; is a good CD if you don't have any Furs in your collection.

"The Ghost In You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xaW6o6A_0&mode=related&search=

"Until She Comes"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVGTx49XRw

"Pretty In Pink"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMd-SYRVGQ&mode=related&search=

"Heartbreak Beat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko7UaX9VfiY&mode=related&search=

"Love My Way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnECCCmC78&mode=related&search=

I did the Fur coated frame in PS Laughing

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Useless Music Trivia 101

The Motown female group The Supremes, which dominated the pop charts in the 1960's, was originally called The Primettes.

According to Margaret Jones, author of a Patsy Cline biography, there are a dozen places in Virginia that could claim to be the hometown of the nomadic Cline. Her family moved 19 times before she was 15.

When the Yardbirds broke up in 1968, Jimmy Page was left to honor the band's commitments, performing as The New Yardbirds. The group eventually evolved into Led Zeppelin.

Most toilets flush in E flat.

The rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd took their name from a high school teacher named Leonard Skinner who had suspended several students for having long hair.

According to Beatles producer George Martin, Neal Hefti's catchy composition of the 1960's "Batman" Emmy-winning theme song inspired George Harrison to write the hit song "Taxman."

The song "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" was written by George Graff, who was German, and was never in Ireland in his life.

The famous Russian composer Aleksandr Borodin was also a respected chemistry professor in St. Petersburg.

In 1992, Sarah Ophelia Colley Cannon, better known to country music fans as singer/comedienne Minnie Pearl, was awarded a National Medal of Arts by President George Bush. In 1994, Minnie became the first woman to be inducted into the Comedy Hall of Fame. She was too frail and sick to attend the ceremony, and so good friend and comedian George Lindsey ("Goober") accepted the award for her. She died in 1996 at age 83.

Bill Haley and the Comets, one of rock and roll's pioneer groups actually began their career's as Bill Haley's Saddle Pals - a country music act.

The voice of Tony the Tiger is Thurl Ravenscroft, who also sang the "Rotten Mr. Grinch" song in the movie, "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas". He was also narrator for Disney's "A Spooky Night in Disney's Haunted Mansion" album. He performed for many Disney attractions including: voice of Fritz the parrot in "The Enchanted Tiki Room, " lead singer in "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in the Haunted Mansion, narrator on Monorail. He was the voice for the Disneyland LP based on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. The flip side of this LP contained a number of sea chanties he sang.

In 1939 Irving Berlin composed a Christmas song but thought so little of it that he never showed it to anybody. He just tossed it into a trunk and didn't see fit to retrieve it until he needed it for a Bing Crosby-Fred Astaire movie, HOLIDAY INN 10 years later.
Bing Crosby was a staunch Catholic and at first refused to sing the song because he felt it tended to commercialize Christmas. He finally agreed, took eighteen minutes to make the recording, and then the "throw-away" song become an all-time hit.
Crosby's version has sold over 40 million copies. All together, this song has appeared in 750 versions, selling 6 million copies of sheet music and 90,000,000 recordings ,just in the United States and Canada.
You might not recognize the song from the movie HOLIDAY INN...or from the composer's name of Irving Berlin. But you're bound to know it because it's on everyone's list of Christmas favorites: WHITE CHRISTMAS.

Dark Side of The Moon (a Pink Floyd album) stayed on the top 200 Billboard charts for 741 weeks! That is 14 years.

Brian Setzer, of the Brian Setzer Orchestra, started out in a garage band called Merengue.

"Mr. Mojo Risin" is an anagram for Jim Morrison.

The horse's name in the song Jingle Bells is Bobtail.

No one knows where Mozart is buried.

The Beatles featured two left handed members, Paul, whom everyone saw holding his Hoffner bass left handed, and Ringo, whose left handedness is at least partially to blame for his 'original' drumming style.

Tommy James was in a New York hotel looking at the Mutual of New York building’s neon sign flashing repeatedly: M-O-N-Y. He suddenly got the inspiration to write his #1 hit, 'Mony Mony'

Tickets for Frank Sinatra's first solo performance at the Paramount Theatre in New York City in 1942, sold for 35 cents each.

Jim Morrison found the name "The Doors" for his rock band in the title of Aldous Huxley's book "The Doors of Perception", which extolls the use of hallucinogenic drugs.

The Granny Smith apple was used as the symbol for the Beatles' Apple Records label.

Verdi wrote the opera Aida at the request of the khedive of Egypt to commemorate the opening of the Suez canal.

Warner Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song "Happy Birthday".

John Lennon named his band the Beatles after Buddy Holly's 'Crickets.'

The Beatles played the Las Vegas Convention Center in 1964. Some 8,500 fans paid just $4 each for tickets.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:07 pm   Reply with quote         

DP, Rolling Eyes You forgot to mention that Elvis Presley died on the toilet, while eating a peanutbutter and bacon sandwich, humming which tune? Rolling Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGg3XkN80U
Answer; for $1000 Alex!

the burning couch

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:52 pm   Reply with quote         

People come in 2 types: "Beatle people" and "Elvis people" Arrow (all theoretical of course) but just for fun... "Which type are you?" anyone?

me Beatle person

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:29 pm   Reply with quote         

you know couch?, you are right, I'm a Beatle person, I had a chance to go see Elvis a few months before his death, I was invited, so no ticket to buy, someone else was driving, and I laughed at my friend, and said, Laughing "why would I want to see Elvis?" of course after his death, I thought maybe I should have went Shocked but I didn't lose any sleep, I think that maybe the age difference, was why he didn't appeal to me.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:

!!!
or
Chk Chk Chk

http://www.brainwashed.com/!!!/music.html

Crap, (this link takes you somewhere else)

A realy bad video of "Me and Giuliani Down By the Schoolyard" the sound is not much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zISwmfmmhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmr_LyGIToM
"Hello, is this thing on"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U8Uf7vZIm4
Sunday

Although the name of the band is "!!!" they are are sometimes called "chk chk chk" so they could be kind of hard to find, anyway this band will get your blood pumping, and if you like hard alt. funk, rock, etc. these guys are tight!

Has anyone heard of them?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Talk about Music - Reply to topic