Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Question about Signatures. - Reply to topic

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

Someone left a comment on an image I posted saying that I should "lose the signature" on the image manipulation I entered.
When one uses someone else's photo to produce art that is very different from the source, is it considered a violation to sign it as your own work?

The image in question is in the flamingo challenge. Since it is only my second entry they wouldn't allow me to post the location. I believe it is still the last image there.

I come from a background in art, and I've always signed my work. But I guess I can see it as rather a gray area in these circumstances. What do you all think? Is it frowned on in this group to sign work?

Alice
(AllieOK)

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

In the PSC circle it's generally accepted that you do not sign your chops. The chop should "speak" for itself. Occasionally we even have anonymous contests where a signature would negate the anonymity of the chop.

Signing your chop is not something that we'll lynch you for though so welcome to PSC and have metric craploads of fun. Cool

Edit: Here's the chop Allie's referring too. I'm doing the "helpful link post" for her. Wink

splodge

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

it's good idea to edit in a signed version AFTER to contest is over

Hallcross Toots
Meaty

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I cant see problem with it unless its a anonymous contest, after all it says who you are at the vote anyways, I too was told to remove my sigs a while back but couldnt be bothered arguing about it. I personally like to sign my work, seeing as its something ive made and im proud to be the maker of it.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Only 3 votes? That was nice work Alice, sorry I missed it... Smile

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

i don't sign my work.... but i do have fun sublimitally throwning in my screen name or manipulating an image around my screen name i say sign away unless its an anomyous comp.
-m-

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Oscar

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Meaty wrote:
I cant see problem with it unless its a anonymous contest, after all it says who you are at the vote anyways, I too was told to remove my sigs a while back but couldnt be bothered arguing about it. I personally like to sign my work, seeing as its something ive made and im proud to be the maker of it.

I worship you.

Bow

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
i don't sign my work.... but i do have fun sublimitally throwning in my screen name or manipulating an image around my screen name i say sign away unless its an anomyous comp.
-m-

SUBLIMINARY!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh Matt you crazy guy

splodge

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:52 pm   Reply with quote         

like i said, dont sign your work untill the contest is over, the source pix are out a month before the contest starts (and folk do work a month in advance) some prize / anon contests are droped on proc just days in advance, rarely more than two weeks

Hallcross Toots
NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
-m-

SUBLIMINARY!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh Matt you crazy guy
Rolling Eyes Laughing

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Wiz

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 pm   Reply with quote         

"I love putting my Sig' on my work, but not as a copyright sign-off, that just sits there and says 'Hands Off'.

Like Marco, I like patching mine in as a integral part of the chop, where you might have to look hard to find it... well not always!". Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wiz

ReinMan

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:05 pm   Reply with quote         

You could do like me and just put your own frickin FACE on every entry that you make. Razz

Twisted Evil

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Question about Signatures. - Reply to topic