Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Windows Vista? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

rockyjob

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 am   Reply with quote         

Windows Vista? well my laptop windows xp is getting old,slow, and sometimes overheating and turning off which sucks. Confused I need a new laptop and wanted apple, but that was too expensive. OK so i decided to go with windows and they have some pretty good laptops for good prices $550,$650, $699, but they come with vista. My sister has windows vista and its really slow, laggy, and she hates it. I want a sony or dell laptop but I'm really not satisfied with windows vista. Any suggestions? Confused Sad

annajon

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

Ask the store if they want to put Windows XP on the labtop of your choice, they have been given a programme for that, because not all people want to be forced to use Vista.... Microsoft has provided a special program for retailers to change the computers back to Windows XP. I am not sure if that is already available for non business computers, but it does not hurt to ask...

yello_piggy

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

I put xp on all my little helpers, and it runs perfect, without being spied.

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 pm   Reply with quote         

When ordering from Dell or HP do it by phone and ask to be downgraded to XP. They'll know what you mean. Cool

jkmansell

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm   Reply with quote         

You can order online from Dell and configure your own with XP Home or Pro. In the end it may cost a little more but you'll get what you want and usually have it delivered in 2-3days. Very Happy

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

jkmansell wrote:
You can order online from Dell and configure your own with XP Home or Pro. In the end it may cost a little more but you'll get what you want and usually have it delivered in 2-3days. Very Happy
I recently ordered a Dell with XP Pro SP2. The version they installed was circa 2002. It took me a while to download and run all the Windows/Office updates (900+ MB)

dewking

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

my wife ordered a Dell laptop last October, and I bought a new Dell desktop shortly after.

If you go through "small business", you'll fine more options for putting on XP, and often times you'll get a better deal.

Also, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SITE WHEN BUYING A DELL!!!
www.GotApex.com

It shows all the current deals through Dell (and other companies), and gives you a direct link to the page so you don't have to try searching for deals on their site.

I just bought my mother a new Dell for Christmas (geez... like Dells much?), and got $500 off from a deal they listed on GotApex that I couldn't find through Dell.

Keep in mind, you still buy it all through Dell, GotApex just helps point out their deals. Also, Dell's deals rotate from week to week (you'll see what I mean if you shop for one long enough), so if you miss a deal, or want to wait, give it a week or two and it will be back again, sometimes better.

Hope that helps anyway. GotApex also shows deals on all kinds of other products too, but Dell is the most popular.

Also, if you want more memory, I suggest aftermarket by going to Crucial.com. Good deals and it gives you exactly the memory that works on your machine, so there's no guess work as far as memory formats, etc..

Sorry that was long winded, buying 3 computers in the last 6 months will do that to you.

Oh, and we're all very happy with our computers.

(I'd love a Mac... but just can't afford it)

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
ReinMan

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 pm   Reply with quote         

It's kinda wacky. I was on a "business" trip for 10 days recently and I had to take my Toshiba laptop with me. It has XP on it. In my home office I've been using a MAC for about a year now. It wasn't very fun going into WINDOWS world again. I was very happy to get back to my MAC.

It would have been unBEARABLE if I had Vista on my laptop. All my friends with it, whom I used to help them with their techy PC issues, are now abandoned by me... I refuse to work with their computers until they put XP in them. Vista is a rancid pimple on the ass of a bum computer system.

but that is only MY opinion (& please keep in mind that I live in a gold toilet!). I'm sure there are LOTS of people who are enjoying VISTA and its wonderful THINGS. Wink

dumbat

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

bollix to vista. i bought a cheap laptop recently and first thing i did was remove the offending o.s. and install xp. the shop i got the laptop from wouldn't supply xp instead of vista so i had to do it myself but it was quite straightforward

if you're gonna do it yourself it's a good idea to research first to see if others have downgraded in this way on your specific laptop. there may be driver issues, but this is not likely

Oscar

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

Don't use vista... it sucks.

Wiz

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 am   Reply with quote         

"Vista is a wide arse Suck full of Shite!"

That's according to my local PC Dealership, who for obvious reasons would like to remain nameless!"

Wink Wiz

janetdog

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:51 am   Reply with quote         

Sony is a great computer until you try to burn mp3's or movies. All of their computers manufactured in the last few years have modified hardware that will not burn anything proprietary. Not that you would ever want to burn a back up of something expensive you purchased...

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

Microsoft plans to discontinue OEM licenses for Windows XP in June of 2008. So if you want to buy a PC with XP you need to do so before then.

There's an online petition to "Save XP":

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

splodge

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:31 pm   Reply with quote         

anyone know if that computer would work in the UK, would i need to reregister the software, why has'nt anyone bought it yet???

Hallcross Toots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Windows Vista? - Reply to topic