Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are You a Starving Artist? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Compared to you all...

This makes me feel better about my situation.

10%

10%

[ 2 ]

We're all doomed.

90%

90%

[ 18 ]

Total Votes: 20

Post Sat May 10, 2008 10:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I know can you imagine being her girl toy? But think about the fringe benefit program.

Heinlein

Post Sat May 10, 2008 10:57 pm   Reply with quote         

I work as an Corporate In-House Graphic Designer. When I first started the job over 8 years ago, I was paid way below the market in my area.

What I did when it came time for raises, I would justify my position by showing the company how much money I have save them by keeping all the design work in-house.

Ad agencies in our area charge more than my yearly salary just for a spot advertisement.

I really got my company's attention, when I re-designed our product catalog and kept it under budget. The catalog was a huge success with our customers. We saw a dramatic increase in orders for our products, and the catalog won first place in Graphic Design USA's annual In-House Design Contest.

Now, I am paid above the market value Smile

dewdew

Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
I know can you imagine being her girl toy? But think about the fringe benefit program.

YES.......now this is turning into my kinda thread. Razz ...and well if you think about it...with all the eating that will be going on......that takes care of the STARVING PART. I bet Bertha would give extra cigs for a little ARTISTIC TOUCH. Laughing Laughing

If your working as an artist..and that is what you love...stay there. I could not imagine getting paid to be an artist...and i know plenty of Artistic guys that work constuction all day that would love to to be able to sit down for a few minutes, just once a day. Going home filthy and so tired all you want to do is eat and sleep, working 7-12's Physical labor takes it toll on you body. So if you can make a living being a artist, Hang in there. The way the world is going now day's...who know's how long anyone will be able to even get to work....with Trucking companys going under everywhere, and Gas still rising....everything is going to get higher in price.

WhimSea

Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 pm   Reply with quote         

I was waiting for you to pipe in! Smile I plan on staying as long as I can... what I'm worried about is money on the outside. 10 years at this place, scary to think of being locked out.

yes, 10 years as a graphic artist at this one place alone... so Oscar, yes you can make a living as a graphic artist. house, car, vacations... just make sure you're saving money in the meantime! I did have 3 months salary saved up for quite a while, even had a England fund for a while.... ended up using that for camera/computer equipment, and taking my mom on vacations - irreplacable memories those are, and should have done it sooner. Now she's 90 and not able to do that anymore!

Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Oh dear God.
It will more likely be Cigars not cigs. Whining probably doesn't get you far with Bertha. Just have to Suck it up.

Whimsea your POOR thread. Laughing

WhimSea

Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:51 pm   Reply with quote         

that's ok--- my "69" thread is still alive and that should have been done after 2 minutes! ha!

WhimSea

Post Sun May 11, 2008 4:57 am   Reply with quote         

last job was 50$ per hour for ps web design

splodge

Post Sun May 11, 2008 6:32 am   Reply with quote         

as long as i dont go thirsty i'll be ok

Hallcross Toots
WhimSea

Post Sun May 11, 2008 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

maybe you could do some work for a liquor/beer company and ask that beer for life be part of your pay!

ReinMan

Post Sun May 11, 2008 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I DO IT FOR THE LOVE, AND THE LOVE ONLY!!!

Shocked Cool Shocked

ReinMan

Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:59 pm   Reply with quote         

You see kids?

If you bring up love on Mother's Day a whole thread dies.

Sad, eh?

Crying or Very sad

WhimSea

Post Mon May 12, 2008 12:19 am   Reply with quote         

we know you sing for your supper... Smile somehow you've beaten the system by finding a real niche for your talent, singing hits such as "AnfaPants" so that it pays your bills and you don't have to worry about getting canned, because you're a one of a kind!

Post Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 am   Reply with quote         

I think Whimsea, you've hit the nail on the head. Probably is his
1- good work output
2- reliability
3-good work skills, photoshop, webwork
4-ethics in work, If he is as ethical about his business as he is about not pirating software he's a great business model and you can surmise he offers then possibly good customer service
5- Have you ever seen Reinwheezer not be charming, he never really stabs in the knife and twists, he stays true to being slightly disarming but never stabbing, always charming. Why he's prince charming with a business Very Happy

WhimSea

Post Mon May 12, 2008 3:06 am   Reply with quote         

that last one sounds like song lyrics....

Stevster

Post Mon May 12, 2008 7:19 am   Reply with quote         

I work as an in-house graphic designer at $24.50 and also do alot of freelance work for local campaigns.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are You a Starving Artist? - Reply to topic