Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Web Design - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

jerryhami

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey everyone I am pretty new here but already I can tell I am in the presence of a assload of talent and not only are you all PS masters but also from reading your profiles alot dable in website design. I made the deceision today to try and teach myself webdesign in the hopes of after Army life working from home because frankly working in Iraq kinda sucks. OK my question is what is the best way to export my web templates out of PS CS3ext into say Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions. Through my short time surfing I found I plugin for PS called Sitegrinder it is supposed to do a lot of the work such as coding for you have any of you heard of this or even perhaps used it.
The price is $350.00. here is the link to it

http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/

Any advise on the best way to start my new journey would be awesome.
If you don't have time or do not care. A link to some cool spots or even tuts would at least speed up my research.
Thanks

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:31 pm   Reply with quote         

sounds like a question for Super Splodge Laughing he and a hand full of others do that type of stuff... i myself only know html code and i do it the old fashend way i don't use a program often unless its to insert images... hense the reason my site is very basic and sloppy Laughing but soon some one can help you... good luck w/ your journey Wink

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I used PS to create this site: http://www.1337speek.com in about 10 minutes using the slice tool. Granted, it's not completely done, and isn't "professional." It works for what I need it to do. The only thing I did outside of photoshop was edit the exported html to center the page.

If you want more info about using slices, let me know, and I'll help you out.

jkmansell

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 am   Reply with quote         

I used FrontPage, Photoshop CS3ext and Flash CS3 to design www.midfloridajeepclub.com and working on www.funcoast4wheelers.com

FrontPage is real easy to use and you can find it real reasonable.

Tarmac

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:48 am   Reply with quote         

jerryhami wrote:
Any advise on the best way to start my new journey would be awesome....A link to some cool spots or even tuts would at least speed up my research.
Thanks

Hi Jerry, I don't know anything about Sitegrinder, other than its also on on my wishlist , and like you I need to do some basic research before I buy it.

I found this thread that might help you gain a little insight on using it via one guys experience with 'SG2 Pro'. Also within the same discussion is a link to the site he used SG2 Pro on to develop. Its a slick looking site that SG2 Pro was able to build. Be sure to pick ReinMan's brains about the web development biz, as I'm sure he has a few things to say. Good luck.

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:59 am   Reply with quote         

jerry i used this program a few times and it is free its an easy one to figure out and i had no probs w/ it once i got the hang of it... http://www.bluevoda.com/ ... i'll see if i can find some of my bookmarked cheat sheets for manual html coding if that is what you can use... i was talking about it earlier inj this thread.

i hope that helps you Wink
-m-

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
janetdog

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:59 am   Reply with quote         

Learn the basics first. You need to be able to string together a few lines of html if you plan on running a website. Some magical program means very little if you really don't understand what is happening.

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

build you first site in note pad, then do a rocket launch leap to dreamweaver, screw front page, word and publisher, too many cross browser problems

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

i understand you are not a complete moron, i mean you got in the army right?
but i was when i started out, i used a site like this and note pad to get started, now with the help of dreamweaver and a fer years playing around i can knock out a basic web site in minutes, now i use flash, takes a few minutes longer Smile

http://www.goodellgroup.com/tutorial/index.html

http://notepad.com/

you gotta learn to sip before you can sup

Hallcross Toots
janetdog

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

It looks intimidating but it's really pretty simple.

You have to learn the ways of the code! You have to think in code! You have to be the code!

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I've built MANY HTML based websites for clients who paid me money to do so and NONE of them sued me - some even send my Xmas cards! Laughing

I do my basic design in PS.

I do my "slicing" (preparing the images and layout for the web) in an ancient program called Image Ready (which used to come with Photoshop up until CS3). You can now also use a program called Fireworks to do even more than Image Ready could do.

Then I would take the bits n' pieces from Image Ready into Dreamweaver to assemble the whole thing.

I did study HTML code a bit, and that does help... but it isn't absolutely necessary for you to get started.

But DO get REAL programs - I agree with Splodge: Front Page, Notepad, mostly a waste of time if you are gonna start doing this stuff for a living.

Main thing is being able to UNDERSTAND what the applications are doing in case you need to take something APART and fix it later. Kinda like guns n' tanks, eh? Wink

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:41 pm   Reply with quote         

just for the record, if you're going to use a Notepad, don't use the standard notepad but a decent one, like notepad++ or pspad.

Well, atleast with code highlighting, and syntax check.

Personally I do most of my work using pspad (for quick edits) (and eclipse for scripting stuff). As said stay away from frontpage and word. They're useless crap (except for producing crap). As for Dreamweaver, I stay away from it too, but granted, it's not that crappy and good for starting out.

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

just for the record, if you're going to use a Notepad, don't use the standard notepad but a decent one, like notepad++ or pspad.

Well, atleast with code highlighting, and syntax check.

Personally I do most of my work using pspad (for quick edits) (and eclipse for scripting stuff). As said stay away from frontpage and word. They're useless crap (except for producing crap).

As for Dreamweaver, I stay away from it too, but granted, it's not that crappy and good for starting out. And for a designer (wich I'm not) it seems great for the wysiwig part

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

WOW!!!!!! What a great response by all thank you so much. These are the exact answers I was looking for and needed. This site needs to put in for like a Noble Peace Prize or something.
THANK YOU

ReinMan

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

Hah! Laughing

I don't know how much we can REALLY trust Grefix's opinion about WEB things when he doesn't even know how to post a SINGLE entry on these threads!

Wink

(love ya, Tony!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Web Design - Reply to topic