Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Quote:
Tadams

This thread started off with you putting some thoughts out there about commenting/etiquette, which is good. My point is that I absolutely don't agree with you on your writing "before I vote." This was totally uncalled for and not what I would call proper etiquette.

Well if you are the expert explain why it is wrong for me to request verification on some ones image and why it is not correct etiquette to let that person know I want to vote for his image but would like to be sure Im voting for the right reasons.

Despite your good intentions it sent the wrong message. You just didn't need to write "before I vote." Asking for externals in a comment should already imply vote interest. If everyone unnecessarily began using "before I vote" this place would really begin to suck.

blue_lurker

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

It realy is about the god all mighty vote to you guys aint it.
Can none of you see all I wanted to do was help the guy learn some thing..but the vote is all powerfull.

Shade your right mate am wasting my time ya cant beet the vote.

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:50 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
It realy is about the god all mighty vote to you guys aint it.
Can none of you see all I wanted to do was help the guy learn some thing..but the vote is all powerfull.

Shade your right mate am wasting my time ya cant beet the vote.

This is about etiquette! You cringe when someone writes "winner," yet you still seem to think writing "before I vote" is ok. Everyone sees that you were trying to help and that you were perfectly within your right to ask for externals. There is no doubt.

Blue, answer a simple question about etiquette: Is it necessary to write "before I vote" when asking someone to fix an image or when asking for externals?

blue_lurker

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes I beleive in that situation it was, I wanted to vote for the image not just pick on it so I let the guy know that before I voted I wanted to see what he had done. Like many other people here have done hundred of times before me...but I guess because they did not piss some one off with its ok

dewdew

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Damn'it learn to vote like me, and you want have no problems...i like to use the INNIE -MINNIE, MINY-MOE system....and for tie breaker's i use...BUBBLEGUM, BUBBLE GUM IN A DISH.
Now some like anon voting.....so i close my eyes and just click....That's ANON. Granted i may cast a few votes for very shitty chops doing it this way, but no system is perfect. Cool

Alright now that's over....WHO WANTS SOME SUGAR......come on..pucker up...it's o.k.....We all need a little love everynow and again.

Defending yourself, sticking up for what you believe in, standing your ground, calling it like you see it, all that is frowned upon here at PSC. Trust me...i get beat down everytime i do it. (still.. Twisted Evil i dew it). When they say you have to learn to "ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES", that means even if they punch and roll you into a corner....your only option is rolling over. They don't mind kicking ya in the BACK.

Can you get arrested for Indecent Exposure for showing your EXTERNALS.... Question...ponder that. Smile

and if it makes you feel any better BLUE....I piss off everybody....ALL THE TIME.... Twisted Evil Cool ......it's a gift i have.....I'm like Goldberg.......WHO'S NEXT.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
This place need an anemone. Shocked

Tarmac

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Or ...

ReyRey wrote:
This place need an enema. Shocked

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
This place need an eminem. Shocked

scratch

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

zorda

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

It seems to me that an artist is someone who adheres to the rules of art... artfully projecting something appealing or unusual to the layman by the proper use of perspective, shadowing etc.

It has me baffled why many want to have everything so artistically correct (which is the nearest to the definition of an artist) and yet seem to have problems when someone shows creativity and incorrectly stamps them with the label "artistic." Imaginative or creative maybe but definitely not artistic.

Some of my posts have been called artistic and it blows me away. I twist, turn, warp, colour until I find something that looks like it could be built into an image. There are very few source images that inspire me without first going through the ritual of a twisting, flipping excersize. I find most source images boring...not saying they are bad; they just don't inspire.

To summerize, there are people here who seem to have it backwards...trying to create a realistic pic from emerged photos is in essence artwork when they are striving to copy the realities of shadowing, perspective, reflection; being that these attributes are all essentially art rules and conformities.

Also, whether or not you should comment or make suggestions to something that does not follow the restrictions of art. A prime example would be the "time traveller" that I posted. I would agree with Eve when she mentioned reflections, but then where to put them? There were light scattered randomly throught the pic...by the time I got finished putting reflections where they should really have been, the time traveller was lost in the muttle and the overall sense of his being was lost. I decided against the reflections. Anyway, who's to say light would reflect in the same manner as in real life? Also, someone suggested the hands would have made the pic more appealing to him/her. The suggestion was possibly use the hands for antennae. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that a being capable of time travel merely by using his big brain this action would reduce him to an insect or some comic alien...then the whole idea of what I was trying to get across would be totally lost. Also, I was striving for and did accomplish making the whole entry from merely one piece of the source ( the dial).

Commenting and making suggestions makes one think about what they were trying to achieve and therefore is great. It's kinda like two heads are better than one. I may not always agree but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm glad they cared enough about the post, in the first place, to even bother commenting and suggesting. You can say what it is that you like about it or what you don't like, but in the end it comes down to how the the submitter feels toward the would be changes. Sometimes I'm not trying to achieve anything; I'm just chopping to chop Smile I don't like my posts to be labeled "artistic." I am not an artist!

I usually prefer a post where someone saw something different in the source and worked to manipulate it until it resembles something more exciting or different. Real life is boring when you've been around for a lot of years, I guess. It's very hard sometimes for me to vote on a pic that shows a lot of work and good skill if it is a reality theme. I'm bored to death when I see them and have a hard time getting past my first reaction to the pic.

Abstract Art: I think abstract art is a way of avoiding the confines of true art or merely not wanting to encumber oneself with the realities of life and all it's daily humdrum. Some abstraction from real life is good for the soul...some people can pull this off "the true artists" and some can't.
Some is appealing and some is trash; depending on preferrences.
Abstracts are most often gaged by colour and texture etc. and will provoke different feelings in each individual. Also, the way you are feeling, when first introduced to an abstract, will have an affect on how you percieve the work. Emotion plays a great roll in perception.

There is not much sense looking for meaning in an abstract because it would kinda be like travelling through the artists fleeting mind with disjointed thoughts, meaningless obstacles and obscures bit of nothingness thrown in to side track your inquisitive journey; like a dab of paint splattered here or there just to make it look more balanced or appealing. Probably, sometimes the artist just is thinking of nothing and just does it cuz he has nothing better to do Smile

As far as updating chops go, I don't agree with it either. It's kinda like when you play cards...once a card is played that's it!
I've updated one pic that was pixelized and I shouldn't have done even that. I will not change a picture just to conform to someone else's idea. I will, however, consider the comment or opinion and maybe use the suggestions in future posts.

I see nothing wrong with requesting external source pics; but I may request it from all entries in the specific contest that were suspicious looking...either that or not comment and definitely not vote.

I did however get a little perturbed by a suggested improvemtent by Marco where he took it upon himself to explain shadowing **which was great* but then reconstructed the pic "which really was better than mine" and posted it in the comment section of my contest entry. I should have flipped out but I restrained from such childishness... if you ever do it again, I'm gonna rip yer frikken lips off Smile LOL LOL You show me up with your chops on a regular basis but your'e kinda like the Japanese...take someone's shitty idea and make it spectacular right in front of God and everyone! You oughta be ashamed! Smile

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Yes I beleive in that situation it was, I wanted to vote for the image not just pick on it so I let the guy know that before I voted I wanted to see what he had done. Like many other people here have done hundred of times before me...but I guess because they did not piss some one off with its ok

Well, I'm going to politely disagree. "Would you mind sharing your externals" is friendly enough and doesn't IMHO mean you're picking on the person. To me it says you're curious and wish to learn more. "Before I vote" just isn't needed. By adding it to your comment you make it about voting -- the very thing you claim to not to give a shit about.

Mastermason hit a raw nerve when he ranted about "blackmail" and "honesty" all of which stemmed from three innocent words, "before I vote." From there it went over the cliff with fuck this and fuck that. What Mastermason and any other new person needs to understand is that we all vote/comment for different reasons. We all make requests from one another to share sources or techniques. We also make comments on chops about poor shadowing, perspective, lighting, all of which are done to say, "Hey, I think you could do better" -- It's a way to help people keep an eye on the details, or try to get them to defend their artistic decisions.

Mastermason:
Quit acting like people are on an inquisition to get you. If someone is paying attention to your chop, be glad, don't complain about how they need to give every other chop the same advice or requests. It doesn't work that way. Everyone is different and has different skill levels. And don't read too much into comments. It's impossible to fully know what a person is trying to convey in the online world where a face-to-face or verbal exchange isn't possible. Everyone abbreviates to save time which means subtly is somewhat muddled.

splodge

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 pm   Reply with quote         

acustic art still sucks

Hallcross Toots

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

mastermason

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm   Reply with quote         

It is not what you ask for but how you ask for it. End of Story.

Goat1981

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.