Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are Graphic Designers even paying attention in school? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Heinlein

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 pm   Reply with quote         

I know how you feel.

I am working on our catalog right now, and I have gotten to the point where I just put it together the way I know it should be.

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK, and why would a Graphic Designer be opening tiff files with Quicktime?

Are they not familiar with Photoshop?

ReinMan

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I have strong opinions in this area. They bring up deep and intense emotions for me. So, due to my habitual shyness, I will not be able to fully share my opinions, and the resulting strong emotional depths of my passion with you here today.

But I will say this: America has totally sold out to the God of Mediocrity. And the God of Mediocrity is schtumping the Godess of Proud Ignorance. Things don't look good. Huh..

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:17 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
Anyone can be a "Graphic Designer" nowerdays.
America Is F*cked.......(Graphically at least)
http://www.vimeo.com/1465284
I love this guy!!!
http://www.draplin.com/

BLIPPO!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
It's good to see a man passionate about something.........long live Aaron Draplin!!!

btw...ReinDUDE...you can't use "schtumping" in the same sentence as goddess...spell check, dude. Wink

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
I know how you feel.

I am working on our catalog right now, and I have gotten to the point where I just put it together the way I know it should be.

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK, and why would a Graphic Designer be opening tiff files with Quicktime?

Are they not familiar with Photoshop?

Yessss!

I'm delighted/relieved to see there are real graphics producers on this site who understand the difference between CMYK and RGB.

I come from the ink on paper ("grease on dead trees") side of the business, and we're constantly covering for "designers" who send files that need major rework to be printable! And most of my customers can't even charge for the converting time.

And once the files (Word, RGB, Publishit, etc.) are converted, all the errors are the printer's fault, including the spelling errors!

Thanks.... I feel... better now...

Doug Seeley
former Agfa Field Tech Manager

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 am   Reply with quote         

Ha! Try dealing with Product Managers that are convinced you need their help to design...

PM: What font is that?...hmmm...do you have a summery font?...
ME: What's a summery font?
PM: I just want something summery....how many fonts do you have?

PM: Can I see the name in white? I really want it to stand out.
ME: But your background is white.

What kills me is that I have to be polite with these people, although I did throw a Pantone book at someone...once. Confused Well...he wanted to see his product's name in different colours on the screen...after about 12, I kinda lost it. Laughing

Scrumpy

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:57 am   Reply with quote         

Wow... this thread makes me feel so much better about myself. I'm taking a digital-media course and it's reinforcing all the stuff that I've picked up along the way (during my time here, it must be said) with a bit of common sense thrown in. I've been feeling that the graphic design world is way ahead of me and everyone involved are geniuses...but it seems maybe I'm wrong.

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
She is fairly attractive with a killer body. So there has to be some leniency right? Laughing

is she really hot? Can you send me a pic of her? Make it a tif if you can, I promise I'll only open it in Quicktime!

supak0ma

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:28 am   Reply with quote         

i've been dealing with this kind of shit since i've started. I'll never get used to it, incompetence drives me mad!!!! Mad

gravyboat

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:09 am   Reply with quote         

mellowdesign wrote:
Definitely worrying... my degree isn't in graphics but I've done it for the last 11+ years... and what shocks me is clients not having a clue about file types, and supplying images in Word. Grrrrrrrrr. Or people who have powers to edit their websites and think they're designers...they're the worst.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Funny 'cause it's true. We do a publication every 2 weeks, I get the artwork Friday, it was due the day before. Yesterday our "Artist" Confused decides she doesn't like the look of it anymore, so she opens it in Quark, selects all and copys, then pastes into InDesign. It was delightful. The seps looked like she'd used a crayon to get the screens. Then it gets dumped on me to fix. Mad Thanx. Bitch. A 2500 run, 2 color/2sides took 9 hours. The "C" word flowed like lava. Whew, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Smile

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

My favorite Dilbert. Hey, Sage, when did you cut your hair and grow a beard??? Wink

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK

That's not true anymore! Heinlein
Nowadays you can work fully in rgb (rgb-workflow) and place only rgb-psd-files in InDesign.
When the order is finished, you make the postscript and pdf with a cmyk-profile.

I'm working like that since 1 1/2 year now! Much better! Wink

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:09 pm   Reply with quote         

txpinky wrote:
Heinlein wrote:

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK

That's not true anymore! Heinlein
Nowadays you can work fully in rgb (rgb-workflow) and place only rgb-psd-files in InDesign.
When the order is finished, you make the postscript and pdf with a cmyk-profile.

I'm working like that since 1 1/2 year now! Much better! Wink

Yes, I did know that, but I am old school, and my commercial printer always likes me to place my images as cmyk tiffs in my page layout. This way any spot colors will be accurate.

Also, though I have prepared print ready pdfs, I still like the old fashion way of giving my printer the source files. I have always been satisfied with the colors from the source files than a print ready pdf.

sage

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
My favorite Dilbert. Hey, Sage, when did you cut your hair and grow a beard??? Wink

ha! yeah...good one, Eve!

I think I once posted a link to a site where graphic artists posted rants and examples of how moronic some client comments could be...I wish I could find it.

As for the hair...nature might be taking care of that slowly... Confused

blue_lurker

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:14 am   Reply with quote         

try working for a newspaper with 4 colour full page options and your graphic department only likes two colours black and white. I was just the poor electrician watching a 32 mill state of the art printing press with photo quality print abilities print mostly black and white images and big red and blue add borders. Not because they could not print photo quality it was because the graphic department could not work out what formate the computer to plate reproduction machine worked in for 4 colour reproduction...sad aint it.

The best part was we had a great side line of doing peoples happy snaps in full photo quality wall paper sized images...now that was sweet. Smile

ReinMan

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:46 pm   Reply with quote         

On a simular note: (C#?)

---------

I'll tell ya something, though. All the stuff written in this thread is just the TIP of the iceberg. (GravyBoat: "the c word flowed like lave" - PRICELESS!) But this is HOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN and it will ALWAYS BE THIS WAY.

Non-creatives will offer up cash incentives (or perhaps beer?) to creative types and when the creative types ACCEPT the cash/beer THEY ARE NOW BOUGHT PEOPLE.

HOW YOU HANDLE THIS TRUTH will dictate, in a large way, HOW SUCCESSFUL YOU WILL BECOME. If you roll over and play "submissive" doggy, you'll only go so far (nobody REALLY loves a creative whimp). If you put a big chip on your shoulder and act TOUGH and "try to educate" your client you'll only go so far (nobody likes a know-it-all). Somewhere in the middle is a very challenging place to find where you DON'T SELL OUT TOO MUCH, and you GIVE AWAY JUST ENOUGH and at the end of the day you, and the client, don't feel too whored out. The artist who reaches that place will do well and be a positive force in the world of art vs. commerce.

That middle path (much like some buddhists say) is hard to find, but it IS THERE. The first step to finding it is, in my humble Razz opinion, is stop complaining that humans are acting like humans (including ourselves) and get on with the commitment to find that "middle" path. I gotta tell you, when you find it EVERYTHING starts rocking! Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are Graphic Designers even paying attention in school? - Reply to topic