Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Life span of a wasp head - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Meaty

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Today at 6pm, i was attacked by the mother of all wasps. After several mins trying to shoo it out the window unsuccesfully i resorted to insect spray, which did no good. So i was left with the only option left to me, kill or be killed.

So after hitting it a few times with a rolled up paper and the thing not staying down a final whack knocked it to the floor, at which point I attacked it with the base of the insect spray can. The mess was not a pretty sight, so being a caring father, and not wanting my young daughter to see what her gentle daddy could do to a poor little insect, i started to clean up the mess, only then did i notic that i had removed the wasps head completely from its body.

Now this is where it gets strange, 5 hours later and the thing is still moving its feeler things and its mouth is still moving. I assume it cant still be its nerves, but then again how can its brain be still alive if it cant breath. Any of you guys know why its still alive, i feel really bad and cant face squishing it any more.

ReyRey

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 pm   Reply with quote         

It's a spy robot!!! Shocked Shocked

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I would squish it in a heartbeat...then hide the evidence from your daughter. Twisted Evil

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:41 pm   Reply with quote         

You'd better give these guys a call:

Laughing

seelcraft

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Meaty wrote:
I assume it cant still be its nerves, but then again how can its brain be still alive if it cant breath.

Wasps, other insects, and lots of tiny animals don't need lungs because the air paths are so short: they simply diffuse in and out the air. So your wasp head was probably getting as much air as when it had a body!

Doug Seelcraft, retired know-it-all.

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Flush it down the john and fuggetabowdit.

Michel

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Start a new hobby : live beheaded bugs collecting; perfect for the doll house's walls.

Meaty

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Wasps, other insects, and lots of tiny animals don't need lungs because the air paths are so short: they simply diffuse in and out the air. So your wasp head was probably getting as much air as when it had a body!

Did not know that Shocked well i just checked and 8 hours later and its still alive and biting, freaked out about it now though. just about to hit the sack so im hoping its died when i get up in 4 hours or its coming to work with me so i can freak em out at work lol. Thanks for the info Doug Smile

Quote:
Start a new hobby : live beheaded bugs collecting; perfect for the doll house's walls.
Laughing

annajon

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_wasp_breathe

Bees and wasps breath through small openings called spiracles in each side of their thorax and abdomen. These open into tubes called trachea which convey oxygen to the tissues.

Anatomy of bees and wasps:

http://www.nbii.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=857&&PageID=4243&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

annajon

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Killing bees and wasps is not a good thing.

Darwin wrote in one of his books that when the bees die out, a lot of the trees and plants and our daily food will also die out, because bees pollonate plants when they look for food.

The bee polupation in the UK has reduced to a quater in the last 20 years. Meaning that lots of plants will already be struggling to reproduce new seeds, fruits and new plants....

glennhanna

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:48 am   Reply with quote         

you had problems too!!! I'm not the only one. I was at work commuting to my next stop in my van when I was startled to find a wasp crawling on me. MWAHHHHH! Argh I don't remember what I grabbed, but I whacked it off of me. Most bugs, that thing would have died. The wasp was on the floormat crawling around, so I lifted my foot and STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP!!!! STOMP STOMP!!! STOMP!!! STOMP! I check to look at the remains... WTF? He's alive and well in one piece. The minuscule carpeting on the floor mat was just enough padding to prevent me from finishing him off. These guys are bullet proof I tell you! I suddenly felt sorry for him and simply stopped the van, took the floor mat outside and catapulted him into the street. "Go Home Soldier!" He wasn't flying then, he'd have to walk.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 am   Reply with quote         

Fire works really well.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:20 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

Bottom line is, bees and wasps in the wild I leave alone. I will walk out of my way to avoid coming too close to their nest on my property. I know they each fill a valuable niche in the scheme of things and I am fine with a live and let live arrangement.

That ends when they encroach on my space. Wasps made a nest hanging from the door jam in between the screen door and the back door out of the kitchen last year. I killed the lot without remorse. I leave them alone when the live under the eaves of the storage shed in the back yard, that is fine, but on my kitchen door is too much.

TheShaman

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:31 am   Reply with quote         

Crazy story. Night of the living wasps!

I've taught my kids to stand perfectly still and say..
"I am not a flower"

I've never been stung in my 37 years. (knocks on wood)
9/10 they fly away w/o any sort of trouble.

Now my wife on the other hand has been stung several times...
Then again, she runs and flails around while screaming her head off Laughing

remember kids... you are not a flower

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Life span of a wasp head - Reply to topic