Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Feedback from Europeans... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

yello_piggy

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Chopper wrote:
Thanks Vokaris regarding spelling changes and info on Europe not being the only country.

guess you know it already, but europe is not a single country Laughing

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Chopper wrote:
I just wrote this article and need some feedback.
Europeans or any countries where Celsius is the standard measurement of temperature, please let me know if I have this right.

I guess you didn't know at the time that your direct neighbors - Canada and Mexico - used Metric?

The scale you put forward is obviously relative to who's reading it.
Someone from Italy will see it differently than someone from Poland.

It's also relative to when you're reading it.

As a Canadian, I'd classify 10 degrees as "cool" on a Summer day. I'd wear long sleeves.
But if I woke up tomorrow (mid February) and it was 10 degrees,
I'd be drinking sangrias in a Tshirt at an outdoor patio, fanning myself with the menu.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:04 pm   Reply with quote         

From the revised article (last sentence)
Quote:
Hope this helps us Americans to think with the same mindset as our neighbors from countries that read Celsius temperature readings.
"read ... readings" doesn't read very well
"us Americans" implies that only people living in the USA will be reading your page
"our neighbors from countries that read Celsius" might as well be replaced with "the rest of the world"

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks again to all for the feedback. I think BadCop is right, that a lot of it is relative to where you live and how conditioned you are by the weather there to tolerate various temperatures.

yello_piggy wrote:
Chopper wrote:
Thanks Vokaris regarding spelling changes and info on Europe not being the only country.

guess you know it already, but europe is not a single country Laughing

Yes, I've been to England as well as main land Europe (France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, and Spain). I typed the article at work in less than 10 minutes and wasn't paying close attention to every word. I should have said either "place" or pluralized it as European countries.

badcop wrote:
Chopper wrote:
I just wrote this article and need some feedback.
Europeans or any countries where Celsius is the standard measurement of temperature, please let me know if I have this right.

I guess you didn't know at the time that your direct neighbors - Canada and Mexico - used Metric?

You know, that's weird. I've been to Mexico over 10 times now, so I did know that, but it didn't cross my mind as I was writing the article. I was thinking in terms of Europe for some reason. I think maybe because I got the idea to write the article after reading L@rue's post about the weather in the chatroom and I know he's European.

vokaris wrote:
"read ... readings" doesn't read very well
"us Americans" implies that only people living in the USA will be reading your page
"our neighbors from countries that read Celsius" might as well be replaced with "the rest of the world"

Excellent suggestions. Thanks Vokaris!

supak0ma

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
L@rue's post about the weather in the chatroom and I know he's European.

hehe L@rue is Canadian Razz

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:02 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
Quote:
L@rue's post about the weather in the chatroom and I know he's European.

hehe L@rue is Canadian Razz

Haha. Are you serious? I thought he was from France or somewhere over there (Belgium)...

glennhanna

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm   Reply with quote         

well, they also speak French in Canada

blue_lurker

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:57 pm   Reply with quote         

We started of with the old system then converted to metric...best thing ever...I think we are one of the few countries that did the full conversion as well, weights, measures temp and monetary system. Un like my Pommy counterparts Wink

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
well, they also speak French in Canada

Yeah, I remember that when I was in Toronto in 1999. I guess I'm sort of a one track mind person. I see someone typing in French, so I think they're from France.

Dechene

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
We started of with the old system then converted to metric...best thing ever...I think we are one of the few countries that did the full conversion as well, weights, measures temp and monetary system. Un like my Pommy counterparts Wink

Woo!

Metric system rules!

Go Australia!

my 2c...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Feedback from Europeans... - Reply to topic