Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - WTF?! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:06 pm   Reply with quote         

If it's a phishing site, the people behind it must be masterminds. It appears to be an actual sub-domain of this site. I went to: http://www.www2.photoshopcontest.com/ to test if it was, and it worked.

The site is updated as soon as this site is updated, which would mean they would have access to sensitive mysql information that could be used to completely disable this site.

I highly doubt that it's a phishing site at all. I could be wrong, but to have an exact clone of the site on a sub-domain of the site itself would be extremely difficult to accomplish.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

What if they had people to replace all the members, and how do I know I'm not talking to a clone right now? Laughing

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
What if they had people to replace all the members, and how do I know I'm not talking to a clone right now? Laughing
well paul i can tell you for sure.... but all i need from you is your social security # ,your mothers maiden name, your date of birth, and i' will rout that to an off shore acct in switzerland where you will then be intitled to an earning of 29.99%..... Argh

Tarmac

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Your right TutorMe, its actually a sub-domain of PSC's domain. But why? Is it one of Proc's backup URLs? Looking over Oscar's first alert this morning, the whole thing smacked of a classic Phishing ploy. Any schema that asks for our password at login at an unfamiliar URL is highly suspect of being a phishing expedition. But you're right, thank you for looking further into it than I did.

Paul, I always suspected you were some kind of clone from an opposite URL. Laughing Laughing Laughing

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

My only guess is that it may be a test site. Maybe used for testing modifications to the site before putting it on a live site. Sometimes this would be done on a local machine, but with a site this big, it would probably be easier this way.

That typo in the email is still a mystery to me though.

st1n3r

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 am   Reply with quote         

what if CAT really spelled dog

SWINGING BLADES LIKE A HELICOPTER

Oscar

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

Tarmac wrote:
You've been Phished and more than likely what they wanted was the information you kept in your stored PM's. Start thinking hard about what types of information you had in the PM's, and if it involved credit card info, or passwords to your other internet activities, you might want to change things quickly. Sorry they got you Oscar .. Sad

Why would I store credit card info in my PSC inbox? Laughing
if thats what they were looking for the only thing they might find is hateful PM's from Marco and some from rainbro... ohh and the occasional love PM's from eve and some other chopchicks. Razz

But yeah I always just click on the link since I know this email... weird my junk mail didn't filter it. Like someone above said, it could be a test site for PSC but as to why did it send me a email I donno Shocked

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:33 am   Reply with quote         

I am the clone?
You are the clone!

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:01 am   Reply with quote         

HKlevjer wrote:
I am the clone?
You are the clone!
i'm a punk and a jackass but no clone...hope that helps Argh

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:19 am   Reply with quote         

those weren't "love" PMs, Oxcar... Razz

Sorry to hear about your dilemmas...stay away from the pron, eh?

Tarmac

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:
Why would I store credit card info in my PSC inbox? Laughing

I honestly don't know. Probably for the same reasons humans, in general, answer phishing scams and gladly give away personal financial information. Its a mystery of human behavior to trust first, and to think last.

Besides Oscar ... I'm really not the clone of the person you really think I am, so don't pay attention to me anyway. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm going to make a message now with some sensitive (but false) credit card information. Good phishing.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

HKlevjer wrote:
I'm going to make a message now with some sensitive (but false) credit card information. Good phishing.

WHOOHOO!!

LET US ALL!

Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - WTF?! - Reply to topic