Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Royalty-free music scores? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been asked to do a photo slide show for work and the boss wants it against a "rousing" or "inspiring" instrumental piece. Preferably orchestral instrumental like "Hoe Down" from Aaron Copeland (think the "beef. it's what's for dinner" ad campaign in the US).

Anyone of you know of resources to get instrumental music pieces that are basically royalty-free and/or public domain performances? I'm looking for actual recordings and not sheet music. Even stock music would be good if it's not outrageously priced (even though I don't know what an outrageous price would be at this point).

Even better would be a site where I could put in a known song and it would list similar sounding pieces. I seem to remember we had a forum discussion on something like this but I can't find it.

Anyway any pointers to resources would be greatly appreciated. Cool

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

http://www.pandora.com/
You start an account. Tell them what music you like and they find similar music as part of their huge "genome" project.
Very Happy

splodge

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm   Reply with quote         

hey seed dixies???

Hallcross Toots
TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
You start an account. Tell them what music you like and they find similar music as part of their huge "genome" project.
Very Happy
Ahhhh! That was the site that I remembered discussing in the forums! Eve this is one more reason why you have my undying love! Wink

Not sure if it will help me locate the type of song I need but I'll give it a try. Hug Bow cheers thumleft DJ queen

janetdog

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Is this going to be sold or used as broadcast advertising? If it's just inhouse, I don't think copyright laws really apply. You do have the right to listen to music. You also have the right to listen to music while looking at pictures. I don't think ascap has a leg to stand on as long as you are not profiting from it.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 pm   Reply with quote         

great site when it's working,
http://www.soundsnap.com/

Hallcross Toots
TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
Is this going to be sold or used as broadcast advertising? If it's just inhouse, I don't think copyright laws really apply. You do have the right to listen to music. You also have the right to listen to music while looking at pictures. I don't think ascap has a leg to stand on as long as you are not profiting from it.

It's doubtful that it would ever be used for broadcast media. Our client demographic isn't one to come to us by TV spot. However the slide show may very well be used as a piece for "kiosk" type use at trade and/or home shows. It would basically be an attention-getter to get people to notice our booth. That's why I was looking for royalty-free and also why I want to use something that's not overly recognizable like "Hoe-Down". We simply don't have the budget to hire a composer to create a score just for us. Wink

arcaico

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Very Happy

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Brazil (your IP address appears to be 200.142.58.19). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren
Founder

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

splodge

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 pm   Reply with quote         

dont click sound art, only morons would concider short sound clips as art,
(oh crap!!! I'm in trouble again)

Hallcross Toots
Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say blah, blah, blah

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren
Founder

Too bad, Arc, looks like you're outside the "genome pool." Razz

Goat1981

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 am   Reply with quote         

This is the best place I know of for music scores (Classical).

It was shut down for a while, but now is reopen! Very Happy Very Happy

http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

Under "browse scores" on the left, go to "composer name" and look for any composer you want. Copland may be difficult, since he is a 20th century composer (most free-domain scores have to be before the early 1920s or something).

Good luck!

mellowdesign

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:52 am   Reply with quote         

I don't know if this is any help regarding usage:

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/public-domain/

You can also search music there - don't know what it's like tho. You do have to pay something like $40 a track but that's not too bad...!

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 am   Reply with quote         

Goat1981 wrote:
This is the best place I know of for music scores (Classical).

It was shut down for a while, but now is reopen! Very Happy Very Happy

http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

Under "browse scores" on the left, go to "composer name" and look for any composer you want. Copland may be difficult, since he is a 20th century composer (most free-domain scores have to be before the early 1920s or something).

Good luck!

Thanks Goat! Smile

I don't need Copeland specifically. I was just using him as an example of the type of music that the boss wants for the show. Something with a western feel that has an energetic tempo and an authoritative/powerful feel to it. Basically to allude to energy and confidence. Make sense?

mellowdesign wrote:
I don't know if this is any help regarding usage:

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/public-domain/

You can also search music there - don't know what it's like tho. You do have to pay something like $40 a track but that's not too bad...!

This site looks extremely promising! There's a huge collection there so I'll spend the better part of today and tomorrow going through the lists. Thanks Mellow and everyone else for pointing me to all these resources.

You guys and gals ROCK! cheers

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:59 am   Reply with quote         

Mellow you are my new favorite mellow chick! I found just what we wanted at royaltyfreemusic.com. The boss sprung for a whole collection instead of getting just the one song. We'll be visiting that site in the future I'm sure.

Now the fun part. Playing with Flash and/or Final Cut Pro. Cool

Thanks again everyone!

mellowdesign

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am   Reply with quote         

Hey great! Glad you found what you were looking for! Very Happy If it's not against the rules, maybe show us the finished product when yer done?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Royalty-free music scores? - Reply to topic