Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS? - Reply to topic

couldb5150

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:21 am   Reply with quote         

There is a show here in the states called "Overhauling" where this guy (Chip Foose...Owner of Foose design)...takes older classic cars that are run down ,ugly..etc..and totally restores them ...usually with some of his personal flair and custom work...then they give the beautiful restoration back to the surprised owner!

My question is this--Prior to any work, Chip sits down and does these color sketches of what he plans on doing (rims,color schemes,engine etc).......they always show him sitting and drawing with what looks like (a~Sharpie type) set of pens...then right before hes done I know he does use an airbrush for highlights and shadowing...They never leave the camera shot on him while drawing ..long enough to ID the pens he's using.

I think his drawings rock....and I have emailed him and asked around and no one can tell me for sure what he's using......

Anyone have any ideas????...anyone ?...anyone?....Bueller?
Bueller???....

Here's his site ...there's a few drawings/sketches posted there .........they look like PS work online but I know for a fact he does it all free hand with these elusive markers!
http://www.chipfoose.com

Thanks in advance

~5150

MindGraph

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:55 am   Reply with quote         

I think alot of it is sharpee and then he picks at it plus the airbrushing. He is amazing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzG_jIVsAzk&NR=1

bigbuck

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 am   Reply with quote         

They're pantone markers. Used 'em in college.

pakimo

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:56 am   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
They're pantone markers. Used 'em in college.
Yep, we use them as well. Tria Pantone Markers Smile And spesial pads.

bigbuck

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:58 am   Reply with quote         

They looked like this 20 years ago when I used 'em.

They're a bit flasher looking these days!

bigbuck

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:02 am   Reply with quote         

couldb5150

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 am   Reply with quote         

YOU GUYS FREAKING ROCK!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR QUITE SOME TIME FOR AN ACCURATE ANSWER.....KUDOS TO ALL YA BRAINIACS OUT THERE.....WOO~HOO.........

Am I Mental?

bigbuck

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

Wiz

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I use coloured markers by the name of 'COPIC', they are a Japanese product and are very, very good.
They have a chisel tip at one end and a fine point at the other, which saves you a lot of hassle.
They replaced the old 'Magic Markers' that I used to use and their range is even better.

Look up Copic pens on the Web.

Smile

Wiz

dewdew

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Chip Foose......ugliest dude on tv, but he can draw pretty well.
He does not do it all free hand. He Traces the photo's from books and what not to draw the car's shape, and some details. They are all colored, and inked by him, i'll give him that. He has a good eye for shadows and highlights that really make the difference in making a 2d drawing look 3d. Some one should show him Photoshop and a wacom. Cool

Do you all know of anyone on the site that does or has done a good bit of airbrushing. It's something i would like to get into.

I have a truck i am working on, and would like to get a few pointers on how to keep the damn thing running. (The airbrush not the truck Laughing )I spray one small section....then go back 2 minutes later to use it and get nothing. So i have to unclog the damn thing over and over. Its like it dries out WAY TOO FAST. Even for a double action brush.

Sorry 5150...i meant to tell you that Wally-world, and most auto parts stores carry a nice selection of Touch-up paints for you car. The great thing is they sell them in a pen shape. Look almost like a Pantone marker. They will work great. Like the pantone...if you want more paint...you depress the tip a few times and start painting. Not too abd in price ...about 3 bucks or so.

janetdog

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
I spray one small section....then go back 2 minutes later to use it and get nothing. So i have to unclog the damn thing over and over. Its like it dries out WAY TOO FAST. Even for a double action brush.

Try straining your paint. Maybe your mix (paint-thinner) is a little too hot.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
I have a truck i am working on, and would like to get a few pointers on how to keep the damn thing running. (The airbrush not the truck Laughing )I spray one small section....then go back 2 minutes later to use it and get nothing. So i have to unclog the damn thing over and over. Its like it dries out WAY TOO FAST. Even for a double action brush.
I'm confused Dewie....
You are painting a picture of a truck with an airbrush?

OR you are respraying a real truck with a spraygun?

Don't know too much about airbrushes, but the automotive finishes (lacquers) we use here in oz are generally thinned significantly before spraying. Like 40% lacquer to 60% thinner.

supak0ma

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

love chip's illustrations, damned pantone colors are expensive Razz

dewdew

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 am   Reply with quote         

Buck, what i'm doing is trying to learn a little about airbrushing. It's something i wanted to do for a while. I have a fine tip brush that the wifey bought, but i believe it's just TOO fine to get anything constant out. I am no newbie when it comes to painting trucks, bikes, and cars. I have been doing that since i was 15. So i know all about the mixing ratio's and the polymers that the paints are made from. i know about straining too... Laughing Laughing . The problem i am having is that the tip drys out too fast. Not ever having a small airbrush before, i was hoping someone would have some tips on what kind of brushes do what.

Fine= highlights and shadowing
Medium= most application
Large= should have just used the small auto sprayer.

Even if i use the createx paint (for t-shirts) that is made for airbrushes, it still drys out in the tip before i even get started good. Any thinner and i would be spraying WATER.

The truck body itself i could paint today with no problems, but the airbrushing i want done would be on the inside of the cab. Like the glove box lid and what not. I know that if i can't get tshirt paint to spray well, getting that PPG paint to go thru it will be like stuffing 10lbs of shit in a 5lb sack. Hell i can't even get model car paint to flow with any constant results. I do plan to buy a better airbrush, like a medium tip, but don't want to throw money down a drain if i am going to have the headaches that the fine tip gives me.

Hope this explains things a little better. Confused

bigbuck

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Now I'm with you.
So if it's a fine brush, what your painting with will need to be thinned well.
It will be a needle valve just like big sprayguns, so clogging would most likely be exposure to air (paint drying) at the tip. So can it be left with the tip sitting in some water/thinner when not in use? Against a damp rag? Wrapped in a bit of clingwrap? Something to keep the air from contacting the tip.
Ideally I suppose, as with sprayguns, you don't really want to leave it sitting round with paint in it. Fill 'em, use 'em and clean 'em straight away.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS? - Reply to topic