Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Tofu's begging again - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

My son is a junior in high school and on the varsity swim team. The swim team is the neglected team of the school. About 95% of their budget goes to the pool maintenance and the other 5% goes to the training equipment. So the booster club (in other words the parents) have to make up the rest when it comes to uniforms, warm-ups, team shirts, etc.

This year the booster president contracted a local airbrush artist to do the team's t-shirts. Sounds cool but it's actually sorta lame looking. It's just the school's initials logo ("WR") with the word "Swimming" going at an up sweeping angle on plain white cotton tees. Very basic and not too creative at all.

I'm trying to convince them that the team can do much better for a logo. Especially as the school might be hosting the state conference tournament this year. At this tourney they could conceivably sell shirts as a fund raiser for better equipment and much needed pool upgrades. If the shirts have that "coolness" factor then the student body might be willing to buy them in addition to, or instead of, the shirts from the football, baseball, basketball, wrestling and gymnastics teams. All those groups have HUGE budgets and booster clubs in comparison to the swimmers.

Is there anyone willing to help me design a logo? Problem is that this is a pro-bono job. I know this is asking a lot of the members here and I TOTALLY understand if there are no takers.

If there are no takers for pro-bono is there anyone that can give me an estimate on what a job like this would be worth? Then we'd know if we need to do different fund raisers to get the logo.

The logo would be screen printed on tees, warm-up jackets, swim jammers/speedos, caps, etc. Also could be embroidered on the parka jackets. So this is really probably a single color logo. No more than 3 colors as the school's colors are red, black and white.

Again if there are no takers I understand totally. I'm going to see what I can come up with and hopefully get feedback.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 pm   Reply with quote         

You may have mentioned this, but what was the schools name? Does the team have a name? And, is there a mascot?

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 pm   Reply with quote         

hell i do pro bono work all the time if i can use it in my portfolio which is my crap ass web site lol but hell hit me up but i am busy so time might be an issue and yeah we need details?
-matt-

p.s. keep in mind most of my stuff is sk8 and music oriented so i might not be the best for you.

FootFungas

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:33 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd be willing to give it a try.
You really need to post the school name, colors, mascot, etc.... so people can give it a try.
If the team name is anything related to cheese, I'm not doing it. Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Very Happy Thanks guys (and gals Wink).

Can't believe I forgot to give details. School is Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln High School (LHS). The mascot is the "Red Raiders". Used to be a reference to the Native American tribes here but political correctness now reigns. So they're just referred to as the either the Red Raiders or just the Raiders. The only logo they now use is the WR for wisconsin rapids. Here's a crappy pic of an older one. I'll see if I can find a better one. School colors are red, black and white.

What I personally had in mind was a stylized profile of a swimmer in the water. Maybe having the waves of the water be the letters for "Rapids" (the town is really known just as Rapids now days).

Tawiskaro

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Very Happy Thanks guys (and gals Wink).

Can't believe I forgot to give details. School is Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln High School (LHS). The mascot is the "Red Raiders". Used to be a reference to the Native American tribes here but political correctness now reigns. So they're just referred to as the either the Red Raiders or just the Raiders. The only logo they now use is the WR for wisconsin rapids. Here's a crappy pic of an older one. I'll see if I can find a better one. School colors are red, black and white.

What I personally had in mind was a stylized profile of a swimmer in the water. Maybe having the waves of the water be the letters for "Rapids" (the town is really known just as Rapids now days).

Darn. I guess I won't bother working up my "Swimmin' Injuns" design.

Seriously, is this going to be screened or otherwise printed? Will it be embroidered on jackets or patches? If the latter, I'm guessing a very simple design is the way to go. I'll give it some thought.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Darn. I guess I won't bother working up my "Swimmin' Injuns" design.

Seriously, is this going to be screened or otherwise printed? Will it be embroidered on jackets or patches? If the latter, I'm guessing a very simple design is the way to go. I'll give it some thought.

Laughing swimmin injuns! Laughing (I'm part cherokee so I feel I can laugh).

Anyway most everything would be screen printed but there is a chance of embroidery on the parkas (if they ever get new ones). The current parkas are several years old and the screen printing has cracked and peeled. The guys don't even like wearing them anymore. Sad Especially when up against the "rich" schools who have really wicked cool coats. I'm also trying to drum up donations to buy the guys new coats (and hopefully the girls too but they have their own booster club). Oh, for those that don't know, the coats I'm referring to are basically hooded trenchcoats with a flannel lining. They're long with hoods to keep the swimmers warm between their meets (even though the pools are heated the swimmers can get cold easily).

Oh and the senior towels are embroidered too. These are large red towels with the "WR", year and senior's name embroidered on the end. They are given to them at the home meet that's "parent's night" where they get introduced one by one. Kinda cool. Very Happy

Tawiskaro

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

I'm part Seneca, so I feel I can joke. Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Sample of what the parkas are like:

Logo can be over the chest or on the back (although the hood would block it a bit).

OH! And there really isn't a hard set deadline on this. Conference is in the winter so there's a couple months yet. Even if this can be done for next season it's an improvement over what they've got now.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I designed multiple shirts for my high school last year and they were all very popular; they all sold out and I still see some people wearing them at the college this year, which in my opinion, means they were a fairly successful designs. Wink

I would definitely help you out Tofu, time permitting. I've been busy with exams and projects and papers, but depending on how soon you need a design, I'll try to help. Smile

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:09 am   Reply with quote         

I'm 2/15ths native american.

annajon

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

I'm part Seneca, so I feel I can joke. Smile

I am 100% Frisian and swimming is a serious matter when you live more then 6 meters, ak more then 20 foot BELOW sealevel behind dikes. (Frisians are a West Europian native people that live(d) in the Low Countries long before the Romans tried to take over the land. They did not take over our land, because it had too much water, hehe)

MindGraph

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:53 am   Reply with quote         

love to give it a shot Tofu. You have been a big help in many ways to us and would love to give ya that back if I can design something that's not crap...hahahaa Laughing
Pro bono is fine too. Wink

MindGraph

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 am   Reply with quote         

here is their website if anyone wants it for reference
http://www.wrps.org/
oh and here is what their having for lunch today Laughing
1* Breaded Chicken Patty/
Bun
Hash Browns
Country Blend Vegetables
Fresh Fruit
2* Cold Meat Sandwich

Nutrigrain Bar/Cold Cereal

is that too much info? Laughing
what the hell is a cold meat samich?

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks MG! As I've said to everyone who's responded; any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

This town is a hockey and wrestling town. Especially wrestling. Check out the last decade:
Code:

Year      Overall  Conf  Reg.  Secl's     State
1996-1997   25-0    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
1997-1998   25-1    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
1998-1999   23-0    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
1999-2000   24-2    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2000-2001   23-3    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2001-2002   23-3    1st  1st   1st      State Runners-up
2002-2003   24-1    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2003-2004   27-3    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2004-2005   29-2    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2005-2006   29-2    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS
2006-2007   29-2    1st  1st   1st      STATE CHAMPS

Any guess which sport has the biggest booster club? Laughing

Go to http://www.wisconsinrapids.com/ and see what you find. I'll give you a hint. It's not about the city. Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Tofu's begging again - Reply to topic