Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Storm happenings... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

MindGraph

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't know if anyone else in the area got affected but we had a last minute tornado warning on the news last night in the Atlanta/Augusta,Georgia area about 5 minutes before we got hit. Don't believe it was an actual tornado but had some damage regardless. My daughter was on the back porch as kids do and saw the one tree snap off and hit the house behind us. Thankfully noone was hurt in the neighborhood. The uprooted trees are in the 70/80 ft. range (21 to 24 meters)
http://www.mindesigngraphics.com/storm/

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm sort of a weather geek. I saw the news about the tornado in Atlanta and then basically watched the storms on radar for the next several hours as they headed toward me. Nothing too bad here though.

I got used to doing that when I lived in Alabama, though. Had a tornado go through the neighborhood I lived in at the time. Took out about 10 homes. Pretty scary stuff.

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 pm   Reply with quote         

I am thankful for living in a valley. Sometimes one will manage to rip thru and it's the trees that are always the big problem. I hate seeing a green sky.

We don't get snow but we are also protected from tornadoes. West TN got hit back a few weeks ago and it did some damage. Glad you were safe from harm. Your daughter probably will never forget seeing one.

MindGraph

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Glad nothing big in the ol Rock Hill area. Must have moved east of you RashDog and Manic not sure what you know about that "green sky". Never heard of that but that was the one thing that kind of freaked me out. Right before things got nuts the the whole area was lit with a green hue. Is that something that usually happens from tornado skys? Your right about my daughter. She came running in yelling to my wife and I about seeing it happen. Freaked her out Shocked

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't know but here is a link that goes in-depth about the green sky.
Vaguely remember helping her with a science project regarding green skies and severe weather and it was supposedly a Hallmark sign of a tornado.

http://weathersavvy.com/Q-Green_Sky1.html

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:37 pm   Reply with quote         

My wife and daughter want to know how old your daughter is. Freaks them out to think of her sitting on the back porch watching a severe storm. Laughing

MindGraph

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:45 pm   Reply with quote         

she's 18. Had her on the back porch and my 20 yr old on the front porch. What surprised me was that she came in all hysterical about the tree snapping off and then went back out on the back porch. I tell them that the nice thing about banging your head against the wall is that it feels good when you stop. They don't get it..... Shocked Laughing

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
My wife and daughter want to know how old your daughter is. Freaks them out to think of her sitting on the back porch watching a severe storm. Laughing

Ummmm....I'd be one of those people who'd be standing next to the window watching the tornado. Don't worry, we get weeded out eventually on the evolutionary scale. Smile

Oscar

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't see what can go wrong.

MindGraph

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

here is a pic that gives you a better idea of the size of the trees that were uprooted using the houses and a truck behind it as a size guide.

annajon

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:54 am   Reply with quote         

We don't normally have weather like that. Unless you count the watertwisters. But years ago there was a freak twister (small) that followed a road into town and cut of half of the branches of the trees it passed. That was a funny sight. It did have a lot of noise when it passed. And on another occasion one followed the river, and put small boats on the other side of the houses. That was more scary. But nothing compared to what US people go through.

Micose

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 am   Reply with quote         

thats fuked up....;im wwould be so scared...;our "little" storms overhere are tougher than normal for few years....so ur own storms must be quite scary indeed.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 am   Reply with quote         

Just goes to show you...

God is a Duke fan...

...and He was MOST displeased.

Laughing

MindGraph

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:56 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
thats fuked up....;im wwould be so scared...;our "little" storms overhere are tougher than normal for few years....so ur own storms must be quite scary indeed.

You get kind of used to when they announce that there is a possible tornado watch in your area on the news but on this one they specifically said the name of our neighborhood and told us to take cover. That's what kind of freaked me out.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:05 am   Reply with quote         

rashdog wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Ummmm....I'd be one of those people who'd be standing next to the window watching the tornado. Don't worry, we get weeded out eventually on the evolutionary scale. Smile

I'd be on the porch with you Rash. Laughing

My wife gets pissed at me when there's storms. I'm at the windows watching the lighting and funnel clouds forming.

When I was a kid my brother and I pulled out lawn chairs and sat in the back yard watching a storm come in. Dad made us come in when one of the funnel clouds looked like it was going to touch down. We got inside and saw the canoe coming from the back yard, scooting along the side yard, go across the front yard and across the street. It was sliding along like it was in a river with invisible paddlers. So my brother and I chased it! As we fought the wind to bring it back we got nailed by the hail. Laughing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Storm happenings... - Reply to topic