Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Opinions? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

Take Rey squared's advice. He knows what he's typing about.

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 pm   Reply with quote         

I assume this is for a high school project? I'm guessing that this image isn't going to change all too much before it's due.

Another idea is to look for a photo that you have taken in the spring. This depends on if you do any photography for fun. Look for a photo with lots of life and color. Then, go back to the place you took the picture and try to reproduce it, which will be a winter shot, cold, wet, dead. If a person is in the photo smiling, have that person come with you and pose in droopy clothes looking depressed.

Combine the two images, dull the winter side, add extra life to the spring side. Slap on a message, done, you get an A.

jasper

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Note to original poster of this thread:

Micose is our resident Real Artist. Don't let the missing ear cause you alarm. He didn't listen well even when he had TWO ears.

Twisted Evil
Razz
Laughing

I see where Micose is coming from. He deals with art in a form that is so true and real to him, where something like this school project seems counterfeit. He's only trying to inspire! thumleft

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you so much everyone! This poster is actually for a scholarship, thats why it has the AI logo on the bottom. So here's my reply.

I was thinking last night about how I'm walking into the black and white, and like a few of you said, it's kind of oppisite of the message. I was thinking maybe changing it from b&w side and color side, to maybe have color just around me, (yeah, that's me in the pic...) so more of a circular gradient.
Edit: I tried to convey the "moving through darkness and making it bright" message by making a bend around me, but I do agree that it doesn't stand out enough.

Many of you said I should have more people, the problem was I needed the picture and so I went outside and set my camera's self timer. I will add more "artificial" color to the scene, and I will try the circular idea, as well as showing more spring theme. Changing clothes color isn't too hard, so that's another possibility.

Micose, I am by no means a true artist, I've never taken a real art class in my life, I just like it. Like I said earlier, it's for a scholarship, so it's supposed to be an "advert" in essence. The reason it's so big is because it's a real poster, 11"x17". I will try and post an "update" sometime today.

-Thanks again everyone. There are a lot of ideas to work from, but also a lot I don't have time to incorporate. I have to work with the pic I have, so I'll see what I can make out of it.

YerPalAl

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Just remember, opinions are like . . . .er . . . . NOSES, yeah, THAT'S the ticket, noses, everybody has one.

Martrex

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:20 pm   Reply with quote         

When I see this I think of what if he was taking color into the B/W world, like as he crosses into it a wedge of color seeps forth from him?? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
When I see this I think of what if he was taking color into the B/W world, like as he crosses into it a wedge of color seeps forth from him?? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That's kinda what I was going for. But I do like the circular idea better. It looks better, conveys the message better also imo. It just needs more "artificialness" to the color area, like Rey said, it should look like munchkin land haha

MonkeeDrummer

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 am   Reply with quote         

Cool

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 am   Reply with quote         

Think along the lines of the Skittles and Toyota Prius commercials...

and try reversing your gradient in your top and bottom slogan areas. They'll blend into your image better.

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I do believe this is much better than what I started with. Thanks everyone!

DaVinci

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:53 am   Reply with quote         

Oh the subject says "OPINIONS", I thought it said "ONIONS"...carry on

MonkeeDrummer

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

DaVinci wrote:

HAHA, and I thought more people would reply...

ReinMan

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
DaVinci wrote:

HAHA, and I thought more people would reply...

Dude, there are probably lots of people who could reply, but the feedback you got from professional designers here (like Rey) pretty much covered it. No use beating a dead badger... Twisted Evil

My "opinion": this poster is amateur-looking at this point. And, until people start paying your rent because of your creative output, THAT IS OKAY. You are a STUDENT. You are (hopefully) LEARNING something, and thus your current work should look somewhat amateur to the professionals here... Wink

Again, reread what people have told you here. You did not really take all their advice into your re-build. You offered excuses and explanations why you could not do some of those changes. That subtle "here's the reason I could not do better" attitude will keep you from learning and practicing your craft.

My BIGGEST advice is: If you ask for feedback, AND there are professionals giving you advice - go TRY that advice out without fail. You can always toss the ideas after you've tried them and found them not to your taste, but until you have tried something out you can not have any hope of learning much.

With respect,
ReinMan

janetdog

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe you should go with a better idea. Honestly, even with lipstick, That's really not clever / original / good enough for the prize. How about a picture of micose for your theme?

And trust me, The Canadian knows wtf he is talking about.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
I do believe this is much better than what I started with. Thanks everyone!

I am going to treat it like I would treat someone who works for me.
YOU'RE FIRED!! Evil or Very Mad
Laughing Wink
Hey, I got an idea. Let's turn this into a class project. Lets all do a version of the theme to share what you would have created. Show him what we were trying to say. Use his idea. The black and white going into color. Wink
Monkey, you should look at the ideas and try and do better. This is what the real world of a designer is. Push the boundaries. Don't get lazy and make excuses. Clients don't give a shit if you didn't have time. They just know what works. Your's right now does not work. Honest. Not trying to be mean. Just trying to help. Wink
This could be fun.
Part of being a designer is listening to your client and taking direction and/ or advice from others.
Learn Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Opinions? - Reply to topic