Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Snowbound - Reply to topic

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I live just north of Buffalo, New York. Over the past several days, south Buffalo and many of its suburbs to the south and east have been pummeled by lake effect snow rolling in off of Lake Erie. My daughter has collected a number of photographs circulating locally. Here are some of them.

This north to south aerial view shows the city of Buffalo under assault by a snow band. The snow band maintained its position steadily for three days. From my home 12 miles to the north, the snow band looked like a visiting mountain range.

I've seen a number like the one below. This is what 6-8 feet of snow looks like:

If you're too lazy to dig out, make use of the snow:

Shoveling snow overhead is exhausting.

This poor guy is trying to stay ahead of the game:

I think this one is from the first night:

My wife's parents are in Alden, one of the hardest hit areas. I am worried their roof will collapse before we can get there to dig them out. They have an escape plan if that happens, or if their high-efficiency furnace exhaust gets clogged with snow. I'm worried about that, too. They're keeping an eye on the vent and their carbon monoxide detector. They have more than six feet of snow. Not snow drifts--six feet of fallen snow. My sister-in-law and her daughter are trapped in Lancaster under similar circumstances.

The latest death count I heard was ten. Mostly heart attacks while shoveling. Two older folks became disoriented and died of hypothermia. A 46-year-old man was found dead (probably asphyxia or hypothermia) in his car under 12-15 feet of snow. The roofs of homes and businesses are collapsing in large numbers, according to radio reports. Motor vehicle roofs are also collapsing.

This thing has been like a slow motion avalanche. Worse than the storm of 2000. Worse, even than the Blizzard of '77.

Winter here surely does suck.

TJ

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Holy Shite!
I've been watching on the news what you guys are going through and wish you all the best! Hopefully everything works out for the best!

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:12 am   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:
Holy Shite!
I've been watching on the news what you guys are going through and wish you all the best! Hopefully everything works out for the best!

Thanks, Todd. Unfortunately, the thaw comes this weekend, with temps in the 50s. And rain. The entire region is under a flood watch. Even the places that got less than six inches of snow.

"Holy Shite" pretty much sums it up.

Tarmac

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:58 am   Reply with quote         

77, 2000, 2014 ... seems like the oscillation pattern is every 13 to 14 years. Here's hoping it breaks up soon for everyone, and you get to have some normalcy back in your lives. Keep safe.

Luxwiz

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:33 am   Reply with quote         

wow awesome photos Ted Shocked .Hope things get back to normal there soon and everyone´s ok.Snow,then flood,what a bitch.I remember the 1977 one when I was in Toronto and I saw the images of Buffalo under 2 meters of snow back then.I heard some people died buried in their cars.We were on our way to the states and when the storm hit we were on the Rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls,had to turn around and head back cause the snow falling was so thick,you couldn´t see past the hood of our car.Got kinda scary.Toronto didn´t get hit that hard,we were lucky.

seamusoisin

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
TJ wrote:
Holy Shite!

Thanks, Todd. Unfortunately, the thaw comes this weekend, with temps in the 50s. And rain. The entire region is under a flood watch. Even the places that got less than six inches of snow.

"Holy Shite" pretty much sums it up.

How far north are you, there is not too much north of Buffalo then you are in the lake. Hope your family does well.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
ShootHerman

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow! Thats very much snow. I hope all in your family are ok.
Its happening something weird with the earth these days. Big changes. Made by us, the humans.
I saw the snowstorm on the news from New York. That was crazy!!
We are used to a lot of snow here in Norway in the winter. But what you have suddenly been served these days are sick amount of snow. Its not right. Normally all Norway should have been white now, by snow, but its almost only in the mountains. Its no snow here were I live. Nothing. Its not even cold.

I hope you and your family will be ok Tawiskaro after the snow has dissapeared.

SH

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:34 pm   Reply with quote         

So far, my relatives are fine. There is still a driving ban, unfortunately. Reports are that payloaders have plowed the streets in some neighborhoods, but they've left behind walls of snow ten feet tall. That means we'll be cutting steps to get to Grandma and Grandpa. Then the fun begins.

Thanks, all, for the well wishes. I'll have more photos soon.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Snowbound - Reply to topic