Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Voting / Commenting - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Were the comments helpfull?

Yes

79%

79%

[ 23 ]

no

10%

10%

[ 3 ]

Get out you hypacrit!

10%

10%

[ 3 ]

Total Votes: 29

arcaico

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 pm   Reply with quote         

i used to do that... until i got my inbox full of pms saying i was bashing their entries to affect their votes... if people don't care to know what's wrong with their images and rather get votes instead, why bother taking the time to make critics?

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

bigbuck

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:06 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
i used to do that... until i got my inbox full of pms saying i was bashing their entries to affect their votes... if people don't care to know what's wrong with their images and rather get votes instead, why bother taking the time to make critics?
Well it is a shame about the PMs Arc, because you are one of the people who SHOULD be providing feedback on a regular basis. Providing it's done politely, and you've got nothing to gain (by having an entry in that comp), I see, that it can only be of benefit to the chopper.Now you're right about the votes. I've seen some seriously flawed entries lately getting quite a big load of votes anyway. As I said in another thread....it's about 'education'. Constructive comments on peoples chops will help not just that particular chopper, but others who look at it also. It's really the only way to build the standard of work on the site.
My 2c.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:37 am   Reply with quote         

Agreed. I'd rather pass over a flawed post than point out things that could be better in fear of retaliation. Some ppl don't take constructive criticism well.

Granulated

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 am   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
very much like my "take a crack at matt" thread i started...after i left a bunch of comments/votes on the street entry... in my op crits are good unless they were from (one that we shall not name) those were the types of crits that just pissed everyone off and served no purpose.

so i voted yes because the one you left on mine agrees w/ what others have said. i also liked the fact that you included the positive sides of the chop.

one person that i absolutly thinks leaves the best crits/comments/votes is patre... and i feel your comment was to his styling/wording.

don't second guess your self... i found this out in the thread i started that i mentioned earlier. but as a reminder you yourself must be able to take and recv the same types of crits that you may leave on ones art. so yeah it helped and thanks Wink
-m-

Pat's comments are REVIEWS not critique.

Tarmac

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:32 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Agreed. I'd rather pass over a flawed post than point out things that could be better in fear of retaliation. Some ppl don't take constructive criticism well.

Eve, I think constructive criticism (critiques not reviews) should be done on a case by case basis. Basically, there are some very tender, sensitive souls in here who would rather not hear painful things that might improve their next entry. ... my2¢ (also..., good point Gran)

. . . . Cool

Tarmac

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:37 am   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
arcaico wrote:
Well it is a shame about the PMs Arc, because you are one of the people who SHOULD be providing feedback on a regular basis. Providing it's done politely, and you've got nothing to gain (by having an entry in that comp), I see, that it can only be of benefit to the chopper.Now you're right about the votes. I've seen some seriously flawed entries lately getting quite a big load of votes anyway. As I said in another thread....it's about 'education'. Constructive comments on peoples chops will help not just that particular chopper, but others who look at it also. It's really the only way to build the standard of work on the site.
My 2c.

OK Arc, I'll make peace with you, IF you'll just get your sorry carcass back in here and do some constructive site work. The problem is, there are two schools (or groups) of participants here. One group, wants mostly votes and validation for what they do. The second group, wants to improve themselves and their skills and could care less about the back slapping votes. Bottom line is, you and Julie would make a good tag team here busting up Chops and mixing the pot a little, oops I meant Tea Man (Freudian Slip hee-hee). Hell Arc, I'll even put Satan onto a Dishcloth for you (an anfa joke), if you'll just get back in here and participate in a semi constructive positive way. What do you say ... Deal? Question

TheShaman

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah, but lets make an effort to try to point out the problems w/o making the person feel like a worthless piece of sh¡t.

Just saying its wrong, does not help, other than pointing out what you may deem obvious. Saying this is wrong, and giving them a solution does help. Giving them a path to follow, will help them learn what they did wrong, and how to fix it. It will lead to people taking your advice a lot less harshly, and they wont feel like you were just bashing their entries. Instead, it makes them feel like you're trying to help them, not harm them.

Also I think people have to remember this is a global site. So language sometimes gets in the way of what people are trying to convey. But if you offer solutions to a problem, IMPO it will break down that barrier.

There IS a difference between Constructive Criticism and Destructive Criticism.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:26 am   Reply with quote         

I really like, need and admire constructive criticism - I'm here to learn... on my brown wall entry, some of the perspective is off, and that was kindly pointed out with a drawing of where I'd got it wrong. I really appreciated that...it was just time constraints that meant I didn't adjust it...so if I don't respond to stuff, it's never cos I've taken it personally. It helps me actually because sometimes I can miss stuff by concentrating too hard on a different area.

I also am happy to leave comments on others' work - if I see something that is obviously 'out'... or I really admire what they've done. Again, it's never 'personal' because sometimes I don't even look at the creator til I've made my comments...and I try and do it with sensitivity...so apologies to anyone if it doesn't come across like that!!!!

Peace be the journey, love be the vehicle Very Happy reindeer flower Hug

Mellow heads off to find world peace

yello_piggy

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 am   Reply with quote         

Tea Man

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Yeah, but lets make an effort to try to point out the problems w/o making the person feel like a worthless piece of sh¡t.

Just saying its wrong, does not help, other than pointing out what you may deem obvious. Saying this is wrong, and giving them a solution does help. Giving them a path to follow, will help them learn what they did wrong, and how to fix it. It will lead to people taking your advice a lot less harshly, and they wont feel like you were just bashing their entries. Instead, it makes them feel like you're trying to help them, not harm them.

Also I think people have to remember this is a global site. So language sometimes gets in the way of what people are trying to convey. But if you offer solutions to a problem, IMPO it will break down that barrier.

There IS a difference between Constructive Criticism and Destructive Criticism.

it's hard to put that stuff in with 225 characters and make sense, i guess i need to start sending pm's with fixes for some

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

Tea Man wrote:
it's hard to put that stuff in with 225 characters and make sense, i guess i need to start sending pm's with fixes for some

Yes, a lengthy fix/explanation may need a PM to go with a comment. I have done that several times.

but most times saying:

your guy could use some cleanup around the edges...
go Layer>Matting>Defringe. That should take care of the problem.
PM me if you have questions.

that was 147 so it is well with in the 225 character limit

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:49 am   Reply with quote         

heres a great example of taking constructive criticisms. I learned a ton of great tips through several lengthy PM's from the likes of Billtv & ReyRey and a few others.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/95966/player-xlii.html

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I think it is DANGEROUS to be helpful to people.

Be VERY careful y'all.

VERY careful.

Raising Brow

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:32 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:

Be VERY careful y'all.

VERY careful.

Raising Brow
reindudes got a point... after all you might just wind up meeting some nogoodsk8rpunk... and nobody wants that Hmmm

i mean its not like i called immigration on him Laughing he left on his own free will Shocked a slam of the door 2 sec later a peal out of the tires... a honk... something that looked similar to the bird sign? but i think it was a friendly wave goodbye Very Happy

must have had the car warmed up and ret to roll Argh

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Tea Man

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:00 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:

Be VERY careful y'all.

VERY careful.

Raising Brow

ut oh Shocked
i gotta get out of here before i get assassinated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Voting / Commenting - Reply to topic