Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What does this do? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

jerryhami

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

it forces bilinear interpolation. Duh!! Argh Mr. Green

jerryhami

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
it forces bilinear interpolation. Duh!! Argh Mr. Green

It is so hard to get mad at you when you have the twins "quadruplets" bouncing at me. Looks for drooling smiley to attach.

Tarmac

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

You can read all about it here. Confused

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Simply said: estimating the values of unknown points between 2 known points.

Consider this:

5 . . . . 15

5 and 15 are the known points, we need to estimate the values between those points.

This comes in handy with for example enlarging pictures. If the above numbers were pixel values

With no interpolation we would get
5 5 5 15 15 15 (we just work with known values and spread them out evenly). Resulting in a blocky picture

With bilinear interpolation we get a nice gradient resizing
5 7 9 11 13 15

It's a bit more complex, but that's basically it

See also: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-interpolation.htm
->

No interpolation

With interpolation

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Found this on the Interwebs
Advanced GPU Settings

Vertical Sync: Sets vertical sync to the refresh rate of the monitor. This should reduce tearing of the image as you drag it. Deselecting this option can speed up interaction at the cost of tearing.

3D Interaction Acceleration: Turns off the 3D Direct to Screen accelerated interaction.

Force Bilinear Interpolation: Forces use of a shader program to guarantee filtering is taking place (Some cards do not support filtering of 16-bit floating point textures as used in the blitpipe. This option forces them to use a shader program.)

I turned it on just for kicks, and my display driver crashed when I was rotating a simple 3D object

ReyRey

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
Simply said: estimating the values of unknown points between 2 known points.

Consider this:

5 . . . . 15

5 and 15 are the known points, we need to estimate the values between those points.

This comes in handy with for example enlarging pictures. If the above numbers were pixel values

With no interpolation we would get
5 5 5 15 15 15 (we just work with known values and spread them out evenly). Resulting in a blocky picture

With bilinear interpolation we get a nice gradient resizing
5 7 9 11 13 15

It's a bit more complex, but that's basically it

See also: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-interpolation.htm
->

No interpolation

With interpolation

That's what I said! Evil or Very Mad

jerryhami

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Damn Thanks everyone. I'm clicking it Very Happy No more blocky pictures.
A week late if I had of know this earlier ReyRey wouldn't have stood a chance Shocked
I am just playing Embarassed for real Confused quit hittin me Rey oww Crying or Very sad

ReinMan

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Jerry! Smile

So you noticed a difference? I myself have been rather happy with the way cs4's new graphics abilities have been working out of the box, so have not attempted clicking that button. It seems you are seeing something "good" occurring? What should I look for once I've clicked that? (I'm on a Mac Intel - so your answer might not work for me, but I'm curious - but not so curious as to change MY OWN graphics settings Wink )

reindeer

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:00 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

Ah yes, I did read all that when I got CS4. And it seems to make just about as much sense to me now as it did then Laughing
But for those of you whole like this sort of thing, here is where Vokaris's link would get you eventually! Wink

Advanced GPU Settings

Vertical Sync: Sets vertical sync to the refresh rate of the monitor. This should reduce tearing of the image as you drag it. Deselecting this option can speed up interaction at the cost of tearing.

3D Interaction Acceleration:
Turns off the 3D Direct to Screen accelerated interaction.

Force Bilinear Interpolation: Forces use of a shader program to guarantee filtering is taking place (Some cards do not support filtering of 16-bit floating point textures as used in the blitpipe. This option forces them to use a shader program.)

Advanced Drawing

* Use for Image display: Stores a higher resolution bit depth of images on the GPU and uses shader programs to apply checkerboarding, HDR toning, and color matching to offload computations from the CPU to the GPU.
* Debugging: Compositing: Gamma Corrected: Uses a perceptually correct approach to compositing the image over the checkerboard.
* None: Does not composite the image over the checkerboard (results in black over the translucent areas).
* Linear: Uses a linear blending approach to apply the checkerboard compositing.
* Color Matching: Turns ON or OFF the color matching step (implemented as a shader program on the GPU).

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

and more here
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

Q. What are all those Advanced Settings options and what do they mean?
A. Advanced Settings options:

Vertical Sync: Reduces tearing by syncing the frame rate to that of the display.
3D Interaction Acceleration: Increases the clicking speed when working with 3D forms. If you experience drawing problems that correct themselves when you let up on the mouse button, turn this option off.
Force Bilinear Interpolation: Tells the GPU to perform high precision modeling and smoothing functions when you use a card that doesn't support those functions for certain image types.
Advanced Drawing: Allows the GPU to perform, and therefore speed up, certain tasks, such as color matching, depth conversion, HDR tone mapping, and checkerboard compositing.
Use For Image Display: Doubles the use of video RAM used to display the main image when you use multiple images, large images, or large 3D models. It's available only on display cards that have 512 MB RAM or more.
Color matching: Can be used to avoid the display of visual artifacts.
If you have a problem with your display, then you can change one of these options at a time and perform the function that caused the display issue to provide an idea of where the problem lies.

jerryhami

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:04 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Hey Jerry! Smile

So you noticed a difference? I myself have been rather happy with the way cs4's new graphics abilities have been working out of the box, so have not attempted clicking that button. It seems you are seeing something "good" occurring? What should I look for once I've clicked that? (I'm on a Mac Intel - so your answer might not work for me, but I'm curious - but not so curious as to change MY OWN graphics settings Wink )

reindeer

As I said above a lot of the changes are subtle so is this one. Well hell I don't know if CS3 had it or not My computer couldn't do the 3d stuff.
anyway back to what I saw. I just now clicked it I will play with it in more depth later.
I have a good test for it though.
I recently made a design for a vechicle wrap so it had to be blown up quite a bit and the original was to small so I had to hand paint some of the design to keep everything sharp.

jerryhami

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:37 pm   Reply with quote         

I had a little time to play with it so far it is pretty cool I don't know why you would not have it turned on, unless your computer can't handle it.
below is a test, Original wolf pic client gave me had a res of 96 I blew it up to 1000. There is a big difference in the two. I am hoping it helps the little blockage that occurs when you cut stuff out with pen tool like anti-alias on crack.

ReinMan

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm assuming this is for display purposes on your monitor? In other words, I suspect it isn't altering the actual pixel info in the file, but translating it to a clearer, more organic display on the screen?

I'm a gonna have to check dis out!

Thanks Jerry for that last post! Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What does this do? - Reply to topic