Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Learnin' About Layers in CS2 (f.k.a. Holy CRAP!) - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Tonight I took a semi-plunge and downloaded CS2 for a 30-day trial. After getting used to Fireworks and then getting used to GIMP...... I'M PRETTY FRIGGIN LOST! Laughing

So I'm asking the experts. What's the general opinion on what I should first do to learn the interface? Specifically is there anything on layers? The way layers in PS work seems vastly different from what I've done with GIMP and Fireworks. Is there an Adobe tutorial I should know about?

For instance I downloaded Marx's recently shared roboticana.psd and noticed "Sets" that seem to be layers within layers. How do you make them?

As you can tell I haven't looked in the help file yet or searched the web. I thought I'd ask people I trust first. Laughing

dunno

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Tofu-San, i feel with you! i can remember and imagine what you will have to go through...

yet, i am not the one to help you out there, i guess. using PS is still different than explaining it. sorry mate!

(i'm curious how long it will take you to get something out of it... actually the adobe guys have really a nerve to offer just a 30-day trial Laughing )

mikey

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:09 pm   Reply with quote         

You like that CS2 dont you! Razz do what you gotta do to get it! ~ get a crazy check! Argh whatever it takes! Laughing

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:17 am   Reply with quote         

Here Fu, try Rein Mans book, it helped him a lot Laughing

splodge

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:43 am   Reply with quote         

work your way through this lot, it should only take about 30 days Smile
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/free%20stuff/ps_tuts.html

Hallcross Toots
Marx-Man

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 am   Reply with quote         

Layer sets are a way of organising your work into catagories...

Make a new layer set at the bottom of the layers pallet.

Drag a layer into the layer set. upward priority still applies within the set (things on top in the layer set are on top on the canvas)

The difference between a layer set and just a group of layers is mainly you can add layer effects (overlays and what not) to the layer set folder adding an extra flexability. Also clicking on the folder allows you to move all your layers as one. which is helpful for layouts like my robocana, smilays base form (unshaded was moved around to a grid system (which i deleted), then the shaodow effects were added out side the layer. abouve for foreground shading and highlighting effect and behind. for shading and luminosity effects

And layer sets can support masks. so you have an awkward shape you need to hide. but the mistake lends itself to all the layers you have, add a mask and scuplt your group of images into the background.

Layer sets can be placed within layer sets in Photoshop Cs and Cs2. this has a bounus aplication with putting 100 odd layers of compund work into one 5 catagory folders and then that into a major folder and then some folders outside those folder for effect choices.

For example When i edit jpegs i can break them down to 50 plus layers in different folders one layer set for objects one for colours, one for shadows, one for highlights...

Adjustment layers are cool because you can force them to combine withlayers

Breaking shadows apart from highlights are important... highlighted areas take precedent over shadows seeing as light affects dark make sure if you do create a shadow layer set that there is a highlight ontop of it. shdaows on foreground objects go abouve and shadows behind

FootFungas

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

layer sets keep your layers all nice and tidy.
I think its Layer>new>layer set to get one.

To get used to it, Click everything. go through and try everything.
Use layer masks too.
And when using the burn tool fill a new layer with 50% gray and set to overlay. that way you'll burn but not give youre original layer scorch marks. thanks to Jerry717(i think) for that tip.

FootFungas

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:17 am   Reply with quote         

yeah, what marx said.
But, when you use adjustment layers in layer sets make sure the blending mode is set to normal, not pass through.

jerry717

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:

And when using the burn tool fill a new layer with 50% gray and set to overlay. that way you'll burn but not give youre original layer scorch marks. thanks to Jerry717(i think) for that tip.

No FF, that was not my tip but it is a good one.

Tofu, when learnig the interface of PS it's best to take baby steps and learn a little at a time. Use what you know about the apps you are used to and go from there. There are many differences but not too different.

I downloaded Marx'x layer file too, and that would not be a good file to try and learn from. (no offence marx) but that is the most disorganized layer file I have ever seen. Considering I recieve and modify layer files form all over the world, (as in Thousands and thousands) that's saying a lot. Its best to give your layers meaningful names and especially meaningful names for layer sets.

As for advice for learning, Footfungas's advice is more appropriate and to the point of your question. Marx's response was just way TMI for a beginner.

Advice worth price charged,

Jerry

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:

that's an intresting tip, didn't know or think of that, thx FF and jerry Smile
Quote:
(no offence marx) but that is the most disorganized layer file I have ever seen.

note to myself: do not post psd of my files... Very Happy (my moto: order in chaos...)

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 am   Reply with quote         

sgv uis rfgrs ztcvesze vre zefrzqgrtty$trxvfdwsdg ?. Very Happy
TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:

Hey thanks! I never thought of that! Laughing

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:02 am   Reply with quote         

Djhgn Oeii opff akcmm odf pi wewrt sdmo orkp PSD dfet vlsln CS2 repryry htro iht.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Showcase

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Micose wrote:
Hey thanks! I never thought of that! Laughing
digitalpharaoh wrote:
Djhgn Oeii opff akcmm odf pi wewrt sdmo orkp PSD dfet vlsln CS2 repryry htro iht.

And that's all I have to say about that.

YAY! another potentially useful thread that, now, if read from the last post backwards will not get too much action before people lose interest. sheesh. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Fortunately, I took the time to read through it and found a couple of tidbits that will be usefull. Thanks FF and Jerry...and others.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Learnin' About Layers in CS2 (f.k.a. Holy CRAP!) - Reply to topic