Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Rating ? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Granulated

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

How does this work ?

Almost immediately after posting todays entry it got tagged with "1.0 rating"
which seems a tad harsh ! Laughing

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

ha, mine too, who has gone round pressing 1 Laughing

samuelb

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:04 pm   Reply with quote         

How can you see the rating, coz I can't see it anywere

http://www.shmugle.com
Granulated

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:09 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
ha, mine too, who has gone round pressing 1 Laughing

Is it an "Advantage Feature" ?

Granulated

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:09 pm   Reply with quote         

samuelb wrote:
How can you see the rating, coz I can't see it anywere

you can only see a rating if someone has given you a rating. (i assume)

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

This is a new feature I noticed just last night. I was told that it's votes by non-members. There's no info on this feature in the Advantage section.

JMH, what is it Question

Patre

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

As I understand it, any guest can rate an image. That rating would then be used to decide the 1st,2nd and/or3rd place in the event of a tie. For example, if two images were tied for first place at the end of a contest with 52 votes apiece. The winner would be decided by the image which received the highest rating from the guest users. Ratings rank from 1-10. 1 would be the lowest rating possible, while 10 would represent the top of the scale. In the example cited above, if one image received a 9.5 rating and another received a 10. The image with the 10 rating would be awarded first place. It is possible that I have misunderstood how the system works, if so, I am sure help is on the way...

In order to view a rating, I believe you have to log out because the rating system only applies to non-registered members. Howvever, I may be subject to correction on this point.

Granulated

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Patre wrote:
As I understand it, any guest can rate an image. That rating would then be used to decide the 1st,2nd and/or3rd place in the event of a tie. For example, if two images were tied for first place at the end of a contest with 52 votes apiece. The winner would be decided by the image which received the highest rating from the guest users. Ratings rank from 1-10. 1 would be the lowest rating possible, while 10 would represent the top of the scale. In the example cited above, if one image received a 9.5 rating and another received a 10. The image with the 10 rating would be awarded first place. It is possible that I have misunderstood how the system works, if so, I am sure help is on the way...

In order to view a rating, I believe you have to log out because the rating system only applies to non-registered members. Howvever, I may be subject to correction on this point.

well that's silly..as there's obviously been some mischievous ratings being given....oh..and you don't have to be logged out to see the ratings.

I was told just a few days ago that the winner in the event of a tie was (somewhat bizarrely in my opinion) the person that got their image posted earliest.

weirdness ! Shocked

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

My 19 voter for the mortar contest has a perfect 10.0 rating, while my 50 voter for the frozen expression contest got a lousy 6.8. >_>

Patre

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Under the tie breaking protocol I described above(assuming it accurately reflects the facts), there appear to be some fairly easy ways to compromise the fairness of the rating system.

1. The raters may not be skilled evaluators and therefore may not rate an image with a score merited by its artistic value.

2. Friends of a user could skew the ratings unfairly either by awarding their friend's image a higher rating than it deserved, and/or giving other images ratings lower than an objective assessment would say they merited.

3. There could be a misunderstanding as to what the ratings mean. For example, some raters might believe that a 1 means an image receives the highest possible praise, while a 10 would indicate a poorly constructed mage.

The tie breaking protocol prior to the implementation of the new rating system was that in the event of a tie, the image posted first would receive the higher position.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I've another question re: the new rating...does the page views now take non-members viewing the images into account or not?

It's very curious.

I'm assuming a non-member sees something telling them they can view and rate images...guess I'll log off and see for myself. Confused

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I logged out and found a very cool Fossil contest on the home page...but nothing inviting the public to click on any open contest to rate them. So, I'm guessing my 10.0 rating for sloppy mortar's from my sister Laughing

Thanks, Sue! Hug

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:20 pm   Reply with quote         

It's right where the vote/comment box is for members. Kinda hard to miss it, Eve.

Edit: Oh. You mean your sister used the ratings up on you. I gotta learn to read everything. >_>

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, anyone can SEE the rating system once you click on an image, DOAC. Please re-read my comment. There's nothing on the home page inviting the general public to rate the images...geesh. Rolling Eyes

The part about my sister was j/k....dang! Razz

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:02 pm   Reply with quote         

(_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

bumbity bump....

JMH will reply and answer our questions. Very Happy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Rating ? - Reply to topic