Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Any freelancers willing to offer tips? - Reply to topic

lpoetschke

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi! I am not new to the graphic design world, but I am new to freelancing. I was just wondering if anyone here could give me any tips on making a living doing this...

I am a single mother of 2 with no outside help, and need to be able to work from home to raise my children (one has a disability and usually has many doctor appts., hospital stays, etc. which have caused me to miss a lot of work in the past...and employers generally do not like this). I have started doing some contract work, but am really having a hard time figuring out how to charge for my services. Do freelancers in this industry general charge an hourly rate or per job? How much do I figure to charge when it's mostly labor that I am charging for? Does there seem to be a going rate? Any suggestions on how to accumulate clients? Any other suggestions that might make my life a little easier (besides murdering my ex-husband, which I have seriously considered...jk...long story for another day)??? LOL! Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Laurie

Marx-Man

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:14 am   Reply with quote         

Freelancing is tough work at times, hours are very client side dependant most of the time. usually with deadlines and all.

could be tough with kids.

mightybeet
Site Moderator

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

when i first started i kinda followed this site for charging. http://freelancers.com/.
freelancin sucks especially when it comes to taxes. i would call some local printers for any idea. actually... somewhat hot market for freelancing would be the promotional items inductry such preparing artwork for the press for clients that are not up to speed on the graphics..like recreating logos, fliers, websites, catalogs. places like Smartblast http://smartblast.com/ outsource to freelancers for catalogs, webpages, fliers, etc. theres a bunch out there. maybe start with a local distributor and just say ask if any of their clients need press ready artwork done, you are there.

L@rue: I'm eating a bag of bbq chips and drink a cocacola
lpoetschke

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:50 pm   Reply with quote         

mightybeet wrote:
when i first started i kinda followed this site for charging. http://freelancers.com/.
freelancin sucks especially when it comes to taxes. i would call some local printers for any idea. actually... somewhat hot market for freelancing would be the promotional items inductry such preparing artwork for the press for clients that are not up to speed on the graphics..like recreating logos, fliers, websites, catalogs. places like Smartblast http://smartblast.com/ outsource to freelancers for catalogs, webpages, fliers, etc. theres a bunch out there. maybe start with a local distributor and just say ask if any of their clients need press ready artwork done, you are there.

Thanks, mightybeet! Both of those sites seem to be helpful. I appreciate your insight!!! I am truly surprised that I haven't gotten any more responses...

BroChris

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, I can't give you tips that work, but I didn't succeed at the freelance thing. But I can give you a few tips from personal experience that don't work.

1. Wait for customers to come to you.
2. Take as long as you can to complete a project.
3. Debate with your clients over what looks better.
4. Enter projects without clearly defining them first.
5. Enter projects without clear payment expectations/plans.

I'm sure there are lots more, but those are a few lessons that I learned along the way.
FootFungas

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:06 pm   Reply with quote         

BroChris wrote:
Well, I can't give you tips that work, but I didn't succeed at the freelance thing. But I can give you a few tips from personal experience that don't work.

6.Dance a funny little jig on your clients desk while slapping him with a live chipmunk.

I'm sure there are lots more, but those are a few lessons that I learned along the way.

I added another tip Wink

BroChris

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 pm   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
BroChris wrote:

6.Dance a funny little jig on your clients desk while slapping him with a live chipmunk.

I added another tip Wink

Is that from personal experience?
ReinMan

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

lpoetschke wrote:

Thanks, mightybeet! Both of those sites seem to be helpful. I appreciate your insight!!! I am truly surprised that I haven't gotten any more responses...

Probably most of us don't want to scare you.

I have been successful at freelancing, in the fact that I pay my rent, buy new equipment to help pay the rent, and pay taxes on the money that mostly ends up going towards rent.

Its a hard road, but then it is a road less travelled. Which means you'll visit places that most don't get a chance to experience. This is worth a lot. You'll also learn your trade faster than in a cubicle somewhere. But it will all count on your attitude. You'd better KNOW you can DO IT before you start out. Not a lot of room for self-doubt if you gonna DO IT YOUR WAY.

But if you tend to be a whiner or a complainer, I suggest a nice office job. Smile Cause when you work by yourself you got no one to beeyotch at !

Bon Chance!!! Very Happy

FootFungas

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah......they frown on that. Sad

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:17 pm   Reply with quote         

True story...right out of college, I took a full time job (pretty crappy one too, layout for catalogs) BUT I freelanced for another publishing co. just up the road. After 6 mo. a new position opened up at the other publisher's and I landed the job.

Sometimes it helps you get a foot in a door where an employer will understand your situation and give you a good job.

Reindude's "tip" is worth serious introspection if you plan to dedicate yourself to this crazy field of self-employment. Ppl will try to take advantage of you. Make yourself up some good contracts.

Good luck!

lpoetschke

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for all the advice! I didn't consider having a contract until you mentioned it, Eve, and it's a great idea. I have done some freelancing over the years, but mostly for friends, or friends of friends, etc...but I am ready to pursue this option and see where it takes me (especially with unemployment still coming in to help pay the bills). My bf is actually a freelance video engineer and is really supportive of me trying out the freelancing thing as well. He has even provided me with some contacts through his work. I also landed a contract position today that could be ongoing, so that will help with the motivation as well. I guess it's not so much the fact of me thinking that I can't do it...because I have the skills, ability and desire to do it...it's more along the lines of a "can I do it being a single mom and make enough to raise them and keep a roof over their heads" kind of thing. Heck, that probably doesn't even make sense! LOL. Okay, so I am rambling here. Anyway, the thing I have the hardest time doing is figuring out what to charge, and the website that mightybeet referred me to is a great resource for that. I was also hoping to get more tips on how to find clients...

Thanks again for your help, guys! You have once again shown me how valuable this site is and how glad I am that I found it!!!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Any freelancers willing to offer tips? - Reply to topic