Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - ~ New Voting System? ~ - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cafn8d

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

Any opinions on the idea of having the time period to enter a contest and that contest being open for voting NOT overlap? Someone mentioned some other site did it that way... Are entries still visible as they come in, even though you can't vote on them yet?

I'd like to simply add one day of voting when no new entries could be submitted. This wouldn't prevent anyone from voting all along as they might usually do, but would help voters like me who like to review ALL the entries and include as many late/last minute entries in that review as possible. Opinions on that?

I do not like the idea of a rating system. And no, I RARELY use all 25 votes... but that's my prerogative, and I don't believe the number of votes needs to be changed. There are occasionally some contests with a LOT of entries...and enough really good ones to make spending "only" 25 votes a harder decision. Smile

However, another possible idea is to have a flexible number of votes, depending on number of entries... maybe having the number of votes = 25% of the number of entries? Not really my own desire (I'm fine with 25 votes I don't have to use every time), but might be of interest to those people who want more or fewer votes per contest... It would prevent anyone from using all possible votes in the first day as more votes would become available to use as more entries came in on days 2 and 3...

But me... I'm actually fine with how things are... Just throwing more ideas out there. No one system is going to please everyone. Rolling Eyes

FootFungas

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

Oh we could have a KARMA system like W1K!
The more votes you give the less you get!
Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok this is so darn easy all I gotta do is cut and paste this...

Quote:
13 Feb 2005 03:40 am Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

Vote dont vote
Post dont post
Win dont win
Low or high quality
Friend or foe

Who cares, I joined this site a little over 5 months ago, back then I beleived I was the photoshop king of the internet, like sure.

I came here to interact with others that shared my desire to create/re-create using digital tools. Who cares if your image is of low or high quality if your doing the best you can at your skill level, then great for you. If someone beleives your entry is of low quality then be adult about it and dont vote or if you must prove your higher skills teach them how to do it properly.

I do not consider myself a great chopper or an average chopper, I just enjoy doing the work, yep like the rest it's nice to get the votes and to win some, (Btw have won 2 and the last was a supprise to me.) but when push comes to shove I enjoy the interaction here.

Now I dont know if Im in the friendly voters guild or not and I dont care, I vote for who I want to vote for and more often than not try to leave a comment of some sort. If I find something wrong with someones picture, so what we all make mistakes.

Why dont we all just chill out sit back and smell the digital roses....hang on...hey Rienman go get ya squeeeezebox and strike up a polka.

and Im sure this will happen again and again and again....

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over Shocked

Megpowergirl

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:02 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
I wish we'd go back to the 15 vote per persons..25 is too much...
those using 25 on a regular basis, and there are quite a few...
well....a lot of them aint using them cause they actually liked 25 pics.

I agree.. I fwwl guilty if I don't use all my votes, but I have a hard time using all of them. But I sit there and think, should I vote for one just because I got a vote? or because I like it? But, on the other hand... that many votes does give you the opportunity to look at more pics and gives you an idea of what everyone is doing... I don't open every pic to see it (I hate to say). But, I have a 4 year old who keeps me busy and work.. I don't have time to look at all of them after I do a pic too. I do try and go back and look at them through out the course of the 3 days though

I'm rambling now

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 pm   Reply with quote         

IMAGINE if we only got 1 vote to give, PSC should do a side by side contest, one with 25 votes and another with 1 vote; same contest, I wonder if the same person would win both contests, I think peeps would wait until the end of the contest to vote if we only had 1 vote to cast, it sure would save time Rolling Eyes

Unperson

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 pm   Reply with quote         

I think it would be more equitable for contestants entries to be voted AFTER an entry deadline. Then you can allow as many votes as possible, assuring that all entries are afforded the same visibility. Personally I think they should also be anonymous (both entries and votes) till after the contest ends to preclude any forms of bias.

If the goal is to genuinely determine the favorites of the authorized voters it seems it would be best to present them without any other association than the work itself.

Nevertheless this is a fun forum, hopefully soon I can get back into play.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:22 pm   Reply with quote         

It aint broke" dont fix it! Rolling Eyes you no what I'm sayin? Wink

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been away for awhile and just started looking at PSC's updates.. I just realized they do have anonymous contests now after all. That is a great improvement among many others.

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:08 am   Reply with quote         

no good
ScionShade

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:04 am   Reply with quote         

Unperson wrote:
I've been away for awhile and just started looking at PSC's updates.. I just realized they do have anonymous contests now after all. That is a great improvement among many others.

It is a great improvement. It's got it's goods and bads, but
at the same time, those who love anon now have a couple days a
week they can get what they want, plus they get a shot
at a little prize.
There is one thing not tried yet...it's so anti-psc community
but since the place is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO devided ...............
Take away tyhe vote field,leave the comment field and
leave voting totally anion...noone sees WHO votes for them..
just a tally.
Meg won't feel so pressured, the rest of Us won't have to
get those 'directed at you personally" whiney
"How could you not vote for me?" Pm's.
...I could do this all night.
PSC doesn't need the motivation to vote on images based on who a person is to get that 'community' feel.

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:29 am   Reply with quote         

Yeahhhh!

I'm a bit divided on this one:

On one hand not being an advantage member and thus not being able to submit contest entries till after advantage members have already started seems a tad unfair, yet I have no doubt this has been covered many times over.
The single vote system I think would work a lot better if it was mandatory that all voting was delayed until a specified time.

As mentioned by others, the 1-10 system can be good for those that get entries in late, yet can fail miserably when people vote high without a full understanding of what work has gone into an entry.

I don't proclaim to know what the answer is - or if for that matter there even is one; but what I do know is Photoshop should be all about learning and experimentation, and generally having fun.

Showcase

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Blue_Lurker, that agument does not hold up as much since adding contests where you actually win something. Voting now is more critical as is getting more votes. Gonna have to rethink that one at somepoint there mate. Smile

Scion, seeing who votes for who is one way we keep things around here legit. Lose that visibility and you lose that accountablity. I think the voting rings and whatnot would increase if one never knows.

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
Scion, seeing who votes for who is one way we keep things around here legit. Lose that visibility and you lose that accountablity. I think the voting rings and whatnot would increase if one never knows.

Scion's suggestion has been made before, by a few people, and received similar replies that anonymous voting didn't/wouldn't work "because" of the same arguments as you have made now. But those arguments seem counter-intuitive to me. I would think that if the vote whores and swappers never know, and will not find out whether the people they're pressuring (or bargaining with) actually vote for them, that such "pressure" would become rather meaningless? I mean, who's to know whether you hold up your end of the bargain or not after you SAY you'll vote for someone if that someone cannot see who did or didn't vote? What am I missing here?

MindGraph

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:59 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Unperson wrote:

It is a great improvement. It's got it's goods and bads, but
at the same time, those who love anon now have a couple days a
week they can get what they want, plus they get a shot
at a little prize.
There is one thing not tried yet...it's so anti-psc community
but since the place is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO devided ...............
Take away tyhe vote field,leave the comment field and
leave voting totally anion...noone sees WHO votes for them..
just a tally.
Meg won't feel so pressured, the rest of Us won't have to
get those 'directed at you personally" whiney
"How could you not vote for me?" Pm's.
...I could do this all night.
PSC doesn't need the motivation to vote on images based on who a person is to get that 'community' feel.

sounds like what your saying is the same way they do the voting in www.pixeladdiction.com Haven't been in there in awhile but I believe all I could see was a percentage or something until the submits were made public. then you had no idea who voted for you but had an idea where you were in the positions. I'll have to look at it again. It was good and very similar to what your saying scion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - ~ New Voting System? ~ - Reply to topic