Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Graphic Artist Careers - Reply to topic

cherylm329

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I am currently attending school for liberal arts (and time is running out for me to pick a major) and I finally decided (I think) my route to a career, but first I wanted to ask some people that have careers in Graphic Arts a couple questions.

1. Do you find this field to be too competitive?
2. Is it hard to find work or a good earning (that will actually pay off student loans)?
3. What types of jobs (do you think) are the best ones to pursue in this field?
4. Any input you may have will be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I have struggled for a long time deciding my career path in life and I have avoided my obvious talents (painting, graphic art, and drawing) because of the almost literal term "starving artist", but I am so happy and content engaging in these particular forms of art that I can't ignore it (or put it off) any longer. I guess we all go through this at some point, but I have decided to go more towards something that gets my creative juices flowing because I am dying in redundant/paper pushing jobs.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Seing as how I am an accountant I can't really help you out in this decision, although I recently did some (pro-bono) graphic work creating a flier for a friends club. They did supply me with some beer though making it the only "payment" I've ever received for chopping. Laughing

I am sure there are quite a few people here that will be able to give you better advice than I ever could. Just thought I'd chime in. Razz

Good luck with whatever you decide. Wink

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Where ya living? If it's anywhere in northeast US, don't do it! I don't want the competition when I get into the field. >_>

cherylm329

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:09 pm   Reply with quote         

bsoholic wrote:
Seing as how I am an accountant I can't really help you out in this decision, although I recently did some (pro-bono) graphic work creating a flier for a friends club. They did supply me with some beer though making it the only "payment" I've ever received for chopping. Laughing

I am sure there are quite a few people here that will be able to give you better advice than I ever could. Just thought I'd chime in. Razz

Good luck with whatever you decide. Wink

Thanks BS, I have gotten some money for doing some drawings and advertisments but it wasn't much, lol. I would have settled for a beer Wink

cherylm329

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Death of a Clown wrote:
Where ya living? If it's anywhere in northeast US, don't do it! I don't want the competition when I get into the field. >_>

I am in Western New York Very Happy

fempie

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:24 pm   Reply with quote         

It is important that you have really super good talent!
Me... as a top artist dont have any trouble in making around 34.000 dollars per month. And concurrence?... never had that. Nobody can compete with me!

... uh.... Rolling Eyes

bye!

cherylm329

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

fempie wrote:
It is important that you have really super good talent!
Me... as a top artist dont have any trouble in making around 34.000 dollars per month. And concurrence?... never had that. Nobody can compete with me!

... uh.... Rolling Eyes

bye!

Your too funny Very Happy I guess I have some potential and that is by only educating myself, I am sure my potential could only get better with schooling Wink

fempie

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:35 pm   Reply with quote         

But now seriously (a bit)

I am working as a web- and graphic designer and its amazing how much competition is out there. For me networking is the magic word. Starting with some cheap work for a person has lead me into a bigger webproject a few months later. And by networking I got actually all my jobs.
So competitive yes... but if all stay away because of that, it wouldnt exist, right?

Hmm.. I can not give you much more advise then to do what is fun for you. If you cant let go of graphic design, and if you have enough talent.. go for it!

cherylm329

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Fem. Makes perfect sense and is also what I expect out of this and I do love to do it. It is kinda of like (just) drawing in a way. When I worked for a school here they gave me chump change to draw things, but I also got better offers through them Wink

vikas

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

Being an artist is a blessing in itself
coz you see things in different perspective than usual Graphic operators
Struggling is a part of life and it ain't has to do anything with art
I've earned good in my earlier phase of life
After getting married I had to seek more oppurtunites and after some time with hard work and luck.....I've my own factory that manufactures Posters, All sort of Calendars, Paper Stationary, Catalogs brochures Etc.
I've my own Designing Studio and I do all of the work by myself and with help of two assistants and My work and products are in demand
though I'had to leave chopping on PSC I miss everyday the new things I used to learn here.
Just Be Original. Give Your 100%. Be Creative. and give more time to Photoshop
( if you work on it ) You'll earn Good as it's the best job that fulfills your Hobby too.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Graphic Artist Careers - Reply to topic